Norton Internet security Suite, Removal.

Discussion in 'Software' started by chuck sholder, Jan 31, 2008.

1. chuck sholder

chuck sholder Private E-2

Because of a problem I have to remove and reinstall Norton Security. Does the Norton removal tool have to be used. Can I just remove from Add/Remove programs?:confused

2. Sharagoz

Sharagoz Private First Class

Is there any reason you want to avoid using the removal tool?
    I've used NRT countless times the last couple of years, on a variety of norton products, and NRT did the job every time.

3. chuck sholder

I followed Nortons' Guidelines.and when I try to reinstall i get the message That a program was already running wait until it's finished and try again.

4. Michael York

Michael York Norton Authorized Support Team

HI sholder,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding to your post. This error message you received can occur if the Norton Removal Tool did not remove all of the software the first time it was run, which can happen for various reasons. My recommendation would be to run the tool, reboot, and then run it again. After you run it the second time, make sure you reboot and then reinstall Norton Internet Security. Also, make sure that you do not have any other 3rd party anti virus products running on your system.

Let me know if this does the trick.

Thank you,
    Mike

5. chuck sholder

I ran the Norton Removal tool twice already. Once in safe mode. I still can't reinstall Norton Security.
    I have other programs I'll have to see how to disable them and try again.
    It's still listed in my add/remove programs. I try to remove it and it says it can't remove it because it can't be found yet it's listed with it's size 30 some mb.
    I'm baffled and frustrated I'll try running the tool again if i have to.
    Chuck.:(

6. chuck sholder

Ji Steve. I manually, useing regedit, To remove all of symantecs listings there. i also have run CC Cleaner.
    I didn't restart because I wasn't aware I had to useing regedit. But I will. I tried to Install Norton again and got the same message,.

Another installer is currently running.Please wait for it to complete and try again.
    Chuck.:confused

7. Michael York

Hi Chuck,

Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding to your post again. When you run the Norton Removal Tool, you should restart your computer after it is finished. As Steve had said, have you removed any remaining Norton or Symantec folders and program files? If not please do so and then restart your computer

After you have restarted your computer, make sure that no other virus or firewall software is running. Also, make sure that your internet connection is working before you start the installation. This will ensure that LiveUpdate runs towards the end of the installation, which will download and install the latest program file and definition updates.

Please follow the steps below to reinstall Norton Internet Security 2008.

1. In the opening panel, click Install Norton Internet Security.

2. Read the License Agreement, type your Product Key if prompted, and then click I Agree.

3 In the Installation Options panel, review the options, and then click Next.

4 In the Pre-Install Scan panel, click Start Scan.

The scan takes a few minutes.

5. In the Installation Confirmation panel, click Next.

6. In the Activation panel, wait for the progress bar to stop, and then click Next.

7. If the Norton Account panel appears, do one of the following:

* If you already have a Norton account, complete the "Sign in to an existing Norton Account" section.
    * If you want to create a new Norton Account, complete the "Create a Norton Account" section, and then click Next.

8. Click Next.

9. In the Norton Internet Security Installation Complete panel, review your subscription details, and then click Finish.

Please let me know if you are successful at reinstalling Norton Internet Security after following these steps.

Thanks again,
    Mike

8. chuck sholder

hi Mile. Yes I restart after each use Of Norton removal tool. I try removing it from my add/remove and get the message.

Cannot delete AluScheduler.exe Access denied. Make sure disc is not full, or right protected.

And,

We have determined that you still have some symantec applications registered with Live Update. You should not remove live Update unless all Symantec applications are uninstalled first.

The thing Is, I can't uninstall them. How can I achieve that?
    chuck

9. Michael York

Hi Chuck,

The proper way to uninstall Norton Internet Security is to use the Norton Removal Tool, and, like I said in my earlier posting, to run it two to three times. It will remove all Norton products from your computer including the LiveUpdate scheduler (AluScheduler.exe). Please make sure that you are logged in to Windows with an account that has Administrative rights as well.

You do not want to use Add/Remove programs to uninstall the software, as the Norton Removal Tool is a specifically designed to properly remove all of the components. Running it a few times is the best route to go with to ensure that all of the components, including the LiveUpdate scheduler, are removed.

If you get any error messages while running the removal tool in regular Windows mode, then run the tool while booted into Safe Mode.

To sum it all up, 1. make sure you are logged in to Windows with an account that has Administrator rights. 2. run the Norton Removal Tool 2-3 times. 3. make sure your internet connection is working properly, and then insert the CD and reinstall Norton internet Security.

Again, do not use Add/Remove Programs to remove the software, just use the Norton Removal tool, and if you get any error messages, try running the tool while you are booted into Safe Mode.

Please follow the directions and let me know if you are successful at reinstalling the software.

Thanks,
    Mike

10. chuck sholder

Hi Mike,
    Thanks for the information. I have administation rights . I'll give it a try.
    Thanks again.
    Chuck.

11. chuck sholder

Hi Mike. I was thinking. I have to do a system restore each time I boot my computer. If I use the removal tool then restore. Am i not putting everything back I just removed
    If I don't do a system restore, it gets to where the Windows screen is and stays there.
    Chuck.rolleyes

12. Michael York

Hi Chuck,

If you are using System Restore every time after you run the Norton Removal Tool, you are effectively putting those Norton files back into your system. If your startup is taking too long, then that usually points to something wrong in your User profile on Windows or some junk that is loading at startup under your profile. You may want to check your Startup folder and see if you notice anything weird in there that could be causing the delay.

To resolve this, I would create a second Administrative account to use. Log in with the new account, follow my directions for the Norton Removal Tool, and then reinstall Norton using the new profile.

Please try creating a new profile and let me know if that works for you.

Thanks,
    Mike

13. chuck sholder

Hi,I was having another problem and my computer guy, took out and reinstalled my xp system, he also reinstalled Norton and everything is fine now. Thank you. Chuck.

14. Michael York

Hi Chuck,

I'm glad to hear that you are back in business. The best way to keep yourself protected with Norton is to make sure that LiveUpdate is set to Automatic so that you always have the latest application and definition updates applied.

I would also suggest that you schedule Full system Scan at least weekly, when you are not using your computer.

Take care,
    Mike

15. chuck sholder

Hi, Mike, I'll do that. Thanks a great deal for your help.
    chuck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds