My PC is STILL making odd sounds!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FuneralQueen, Jul 28, 2009.

1. FuneralQueen

FuneralQueen Private E-2

Hi there :)

I was hoping someone could help me out. Basically, a week ago my PC started making strange sounds - near the front where the power button is and all the USB inputs/sound inputs. So I took off the side of the tower to have a look (before turning it back on) to see if anything seemed out of the ordinary. After talking it over with my friend, we thought it was most likely the hard drive. At this point i had 2 hard drives;

C drive - 500gb, Western Digital "Green power"
    I drive - 1TB WD Cavier green (bought literally a month or two ago)

So I bought another 500gb HDD for my OS (was Vista, reverted back to XP), formatted it etc and I thought that was that.

But now the PC is making strange sounds again!

Like i said, it's at the front of the computer, near the bottom. I've heard dying harddrives before and it doesn't really sound like that. It's a very loud humming..

I really doubt it's the 1TB drive because I only use it for music/videos etc, and since I used my PC for recording music I was mostly using the C drive anyway.

I bought the PC just over a year ago, the basic specs being;
    ASUS P5QC motherboard
    N9600GT Nvidia graphics
    (Quadcore 2.4Ghz, 4gigs of RAM)

I would appreciated any help! Apologies if it's something really obvious - I'm not really a hardcore hardware wizard :-o

2. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

3. Dacads

Dacads Corporal

hello and welcome to MGSupport,

What sort of sound is it exactly? I get the odd sound which i'm sure comes from HDD, nothing to worry about unless it is causing problems :)

Dacads

4. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

what type of case you got (tool less or screw type)?
    if you hdd is mounted by screws it could be vibrating something in your case but i would keep an eye on it, if it starts clicking or crashing a lot then buy a new hdd:(.

5. NightFirer

NightFirer Private First Class

Quick question is the humming coming from the front when u power up the pc? ( meaning turning on the PC).. U said a humming noise? when does that start? hmm there is a possiblity I know what it is but I need a few more pieces here.

6. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Aight, good suggestions so far ;), unfortunately what rjc said
    Is true.

HERE IS A LINK that runs you through alot of things, including Hardware testing. Take a look ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds