dell dimension 4300

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dirtyred, Oct 7, 2009.

1. dirtyred

dirtyred Private E-2

I have a dell 4300 same problem,
    checkpoint error Ismi , went online to dell, new better The lady said to take to to a local shop, she never heard of it, I tried a different hard drive , same results will not start when If get to windows set up if freezes there / press f6 and does nothing.. any help out there , going to check a new power supply, change memory sticks ?????

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I would try a different power supply. You are getting a blinking yellow/orange light on the front?

I only saw one google result that resolved the checkpoint error with a memory module. How many memory/RAM sticks do you have? If more than one you could try them one at a time in order to try to isolate which one might be bad. But I think a new power supply is the answer.

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Memory sticks?

CAREFUL

I think these had RAMBUS, if I remember correctly.

4. sach2

It's just SDRAM PC133. Easy to remove and check one at a time http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4300/replace.htm#1101964 You only have two slots, so if you have two modules remove one and try and boot. Then try it with just the other one. If you have problems both times it is probably not the memory causing the error.

But I would spend my money on a power supply before replacing RAM unless you know you have a bad stick/module.

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

OK Sachs I bow to your better knowledge - it was a long time ago and I used to look like your picture a decade or two before the 4300.

Now look at me!

:-D

6. dirtyred

dirtyred Private E-2

have only 1 256 , lights green on front

7. sach2

I don't know what to tell you. If the light is green it may not be the power supply. SDRAM is old and therefore more expensive to buy. The most current stuff is always the cheapest. Maybe Ebay?

If you don't have any old modules lying around it might be worth asking a friend if they have a module you could try before purchasing.

This is the thread that mentioned RAM for your problem.

8. da.bell

da.bell Private First Class

The Dell Optiplex GX620's have been know to have power supply failures. I wouldn't doubt that you need a new power supply from the sound of it.

9. dirtyred

dirtyred Private E-2

Thank's for your advice, got a new power supply all the lights are green front and back , it says low batt, and hard drive not installed/ it is could it be the batt? or is the hard drive kput,thx, dirtyred

10. dirtyred

dirtyred Private E-2

Thank's for your advice, got a new power supply all the lights are green front and the 4 in the back , it says low batt, and hard drive not installed/ could it be the batt? or is the hard drive kput,thx, dirtyred[/QUOTE]

11. sach2

Try it without the battery and see what you get.

12. dirtyred

dirtyred Private E-2

tried no batt no, notta, going to have to find a recovery disk. glad my old IBM works perfect thanks for the help, dirtyred

13. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

If you haven't already done this replace the battery with a new one.

You will need to enter setup (the BIOS) to recognise the hard drive and set it up, and set the date and time.

Then you will need to create a partition and format it on the hard drive to install windows.

Then you can reinstall Windows.

The restore disks will boot the pc to a program (also called setup) to perform the second two tasks.

Copy the Windows licence number from the sticker on the bottom or back of the case to have it handy and ready when required.

14. dirtyred

dirtyred Private E-2

the main problem is it does not recognize the hard drive, Im lost on how to create a partition and format it, ain't it easier to replace the hard drive with one that is already working with xp ,when i get to the boot sequence set up it just says floppy and cd/dvd drive no hard drive listed????? Thank you for the advice and I sure am ready to fix it untill its broke.

15. dirtyred

dirtyred Private E-2

The main problem is it does not recognize the hard drive, Im lost on how to create a partition and format it, ain't it easier to replace the hard drive with one that is already working with xp ,when i get to the boot sequence set up it just says floppy and cd/dvd drive no hard drive listed????? Thank you for the advice and I sure am ready to fix it untill its broke.[/QUOTE]

16. sach2

You won't be able to just plug in a HD with XP installed and have it run because during installation XP sets itself up to run on the computer it is being installed in. You could test it by putting a preinstalled HD in to see if the HD is recognized but that is as far as you will get.

If you have any other HD around you could plug it in and see if it is recognized.

First, I would check the jumpers on the HD that is in there. Are they set to master according to the diagram on the top of the drive?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds