Adhesive residue on hardwood floor

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Horsey, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horsey

Horsey Sergeant

I've got a heck of a problem:

The house I'm renting has prefinished hardwood floors in the kitchen and dining room, which now have little sticky spots on them thanks to those little furry pads I had on the bottoms of my dining set chairs to protect said floors.

I discovered that, when someone sits on one of the chairs, the back legs, due to being angled to the back, spread ever so slowly backwards, forcing the sticky pad on each leg to slide off, allowing the now sticky chair leg to rest right on the floor.

Does anybody have any idea on what I could use to get the sticky stuff off the floor without damaging it? I really don't fancy having to pay to have the floor repaired because of something I tried to do to protect it having backfired.

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I used warm water ad lots of patience to remove similar stains from my hardwood floors. For obvious reasons, strongly recommend testing the hot water treatment in a very dark and obscure corner of the floor before applying it anywhere else, in case whatever your floors are treated with is drastically different from what is on mine.

3. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

A product called "goo be gone" has worked well for me. I suggest you try it on a small, out of the way spot first.

On very finished floors I suggest you dab the product on the problem spot and wait at least 10 mins. Then use a wash cloth or towel to swipe up the residue.

4. da.bell

da.bell Private First Class

x2, I have a wakeboarding boat with vinyl stickers that I have removed. The "leftovers" ;) were removed by Goo Gone and worked very well. No damage to the gelcoat of the boat. But, you will have to put some elbows into the task. Can be some work if the glue has been there for awhile.

5. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Going forward, there is a version of those same type protective tips that install like big thumbtacks, rather than with adhesive.

6. oldandconfusedagain

oldandconfusedagain Private E-2 <i>emeritus</i>

Can you buy avon products up there? Get a small container of Avon's Skin so Soft and apply it to the adhesive with a soft cloth, gently rubbing it around. should do the trick. the wife uses it for all sorts of stubborn sticky messes. won't hurt the floor's finish. it is slightly oily, but that will clean up with soap and water after you're done.

7. Mimsy

Linky?

I need those, I have hardwood floors and need protective stuff on my furniture as well. :)

8. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Dunno. Whatever Home Depot, Lowe's or other DIY store in your particular locale should have them. They're like a plastic disk with the fuzzy fiber stuff on one side and a 1/2" long nail point sticking out of the other.

9. Mimsy

I have a Lowe's really close to my house, I can get them there then. Thanks! :)

10. oldandconfusedagain

I think these are what you're looking for. Won't mar your floor finish either when dragging the chairs around. Helpful hint: pre-drill a very small pilot hole, if you can, before pounding them in.
    Do not get the ones that are attached with an adhesive, or the ones with a round tube-like attaching pound in.They have various sizes to fit just about any need.

Attached Files:

11. Port-O-San

Port-O-San Corporal

Lemon oil. Period.

12. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I'd try Nail polish remover,try some on the wood finish somewhere it wont be noticed,if the varnish or whatever marks the cloth then don't use it.

13. Horsey

Horsey Sergeant

Thanks everyone for the replies! I hadn't responded yet thanks to hard drive problems.

I tried all the suggestions, but none worked - not even plain warm water. :confused

I asked a friend whose father installs hardwood floors what he would suggest, and he said avoid anything with oil in it, especially Goo Gone and Murphy Oil Soap. Apparently, one of their customers used Goo Gone for the same problem as me, and it changed the colour of his floor!

My friend's suggestion: ice cubes. I thought that sounded a little nutty but, well, I was out of ideas, so I gave it a try. Low and behold, it worked!

I set a cube on top of the sticky spot, careful to lift it off before any melt water ran down into the space between the boards. I scrubbed at the small puddle left behind on the board and, with any luck, the spot was gone after four or five minutes.

Some spots needed this done more than once, but my floor isn't sticky anymore!

I've since replaced the adhesive leg pads with those with a nail/thumbtack in them.

14. oldandconfusedagain

glad you got it taken care of. I've got a new tool in the box now, also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds