non IE browsers and their bugs

Discussion in 'Software' started by tritonobx, Aug 12, 2010.

1. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Not trying to start a lengthy thread here, but I seem to notice more and more issues and fixes coming in for Firefox and other non IE browsers. I've always used IE exclusively and never had an issue, and never felt the need to try a different browser. Like the others it gets patched up as necessary, but beyond patching, it seems less glitchy by comparison if one's pc is updated and configured correctly. Just one sergeant's opinion.

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Not sure what you mean by that, especially since you just wrote that you have never used any other browser than IE.

I never had any problems whatsoever with Firefox, which I used since the early 1.0 beta. I can even use it (with IETab2) to run Windows Update.

3. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

About glitchy, right I haven't run another browser, but the frequency of software forum threads here with 'other browser' issues seems to be much more than IE. If I did add a browser I'd go with one of the leaner ones.

4. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

One thing that makes non-IE browsers (e.g. Firefox) so interesting are the Add-ons that are so readily available. But oftentimes these 3rd-party add-ons are not fully tested, and may make the entire browser crash.

Firefox has recently introduced a plugin container that runs as a separate process. This way, if a plugin crashes, it will not take down the entire browser. Interestingly many Firefox users hate that new concept, and disable it as soon as they discover it.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

The issues with non IE browsers are more coming into the foreground in part due to a few things, as pwillener mentions the 3rd party addons for said browsers (these 3rd party addons are the achillies heal of the likes of Firefox as mentioned they are not fully tested all the time and running too many addons also can cause issues between the different addons), to they are now used by more users migrating from IE to Opera, Firefox, Chrome, Safari etc

While trying new browsers out is great and I use a few of the above, they are not the great security fix touted or are more stable than IE, all broswers have pros and cons and IE is also not a revolution in stability or security, it is in IE8 guise good but just as good as the others are also.

I agree its a great sandbox function and similar to how IE8 can recover from a crash also, but as you mention many just disable due to not knowing what the hell it actually does, sadly.

But another twist to this is that the browser may not be the issue at all, but other software or malware, malware is a good case in point as many users that you will read in our malware forum state they dont use IE but Firefox and wonder why they are malware infected, well its not the browser in the main but what you download that can cause malware and thus browser issues etc

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I can't live without some of these addons. As a web apps developer, they are absolutely indispensable; must haves. So I rock with FireFox when I'm developing web sites and Chrome when i'm just surfing due to it's "super" sandboxing. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds