Notebook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PC Picard, Sep 30, 2010.

1. PC Picard

PC Picard Private E-2

Ive always added more memory, and harddrive space, So i have maxed out my Ram. Is it possible to replace the motherboard on a dell inspiron 1501, so i can have more Ram, I see people selling motherboards on ebay, Ive heard different responses from friends of mine. Anyone has any opinions to this.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, PC Picard.

Don't know what operating system you're running, but have you considered ReadyBoost?

Replacing a laptop motherboard can be a daunting task itself, and I can't imagine what obstacles would be involved with a mobo upgrade - but it sounds like fun! Good luck! :major

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Or an SSD?

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Replacing a motherboard would classify as a new machine to Microsoft.
    Could possibly require you to call to activate or purchase a new license key.

5. satrow

Not usually, motherboard replacements are normally no problem with Retail, OEM or VLK's.

Replacing the complete machine whilst using the earlier OEM key might not be to MS's liking though.

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I have had to contact Microsoft before when trying to get Updates and the machine didn't match their "profile".
    Had to explain to a tech type that it was the same machine, but had replaced a faulty component.
    Put me on hold for about 5 minutes, then talked me through installing a new key.
    BS is what I thought then and still do.

7. satrow

Typical MS, forcing a patch on you instead of putting their crappy detection (spy) software right on their end.

When this SID/HID nonsense kicked off with XP, allowances were supposed to be made for 6 hardware changes in a reasonable time-span before any alarms were raised their end. I guess that was never successfully programmed in ...

<sorry about the OT chit-chat, PC Picard>

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

My incident was only about 1 1/2 years ago.
    And it was an XP machine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds