blue screen of death! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by dezaster, Mar 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dezaster

dezaster Private E-2

i went to bed about 1 this morning and everything was working fine. got up just a bit ago and couldn't surf anywhere. the cable is still goin, so i was just gonna reboot and see if that helps (usually does).
    i'm running xp pro- amd 2700+, at7-max4, 512 ram.. hard drive is half full.

so when the reboot comes up, everything processes as normal. goes through the scanning process, then the boot screen- and then to a blue screen with a lot of writing on it. the problem is, the system goes into automatic reboot so i don't get to see what it says. it still goes up when booting in safe mode, last known, and normal. so i can't get into windows at all. help please!:confused:

2. dezaster

dezaster Private E-2

i haven't blown off the comp lately... i will be pretty soon though. i put my xp disc in and somehow got it booted into safe mode. i'm currently runnin adaware and it has found 10 probs so far. what a pain.. i caught something from the blue screen about config files or somethin.. this mean anything?

3. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

Good call from Xflat sound advice
    I would also try removing as much stuff as you can like USB devices printers etc
    Do you have more than one stick of ram,try swapping them in or out see if thats your problem
    If you can possibly see just the top line of that BSOD it would really help

You may also need to try removing everything bar the basics,unplug all Cd drives etc

EDIT: ok looks like may be software-
    So while youve got it running right click my computer-properties-advanced start-up etc tab --then uncheck the box automatically restart
    At least if it blue screens when you try and rebbot normally you will be able to read the info

4. dezaster

dezaster Private E-2

damn damn damn damn damn.. sorry bout that.. adaware was almost done scanning and my cousin tripped the circuit that the comp is on. so the comp shut down and i can't get it booted back up.. the first line of the bsod is somethin like.. windows xp has shut your computer down to prevent damage to..

ok, finally got back in under safe mode.. bbl
    thanks,
    dez

5. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

boot from your windows xp disk, enter the recover console. Run a chkdsk.

type "chkdsk /r" at the command prompt, minus the quotes of course.

It's an odd happening that windows P has, if it locked up in the middle of a write then the file system might be jacked, and that will cause XP to BSOD on boot. See at least one every week that chkdsk fixes up.

6. dezaster

dezaster Private E-2

'setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.'

this is what i get when i try to go into the repair console from the cd

7. dezaster

dezaster Private E-2

ok, i can boot up into safemode... and got the bsod on screen right now :

a problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

... ...
    then it has some info on how to find drivers and such..
    at the bottom it has this:
    Technical info:
    **** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005,0x03020100,0xAA5BC4FO,0X00000000)

any ideas?

8. Tater

Tater Tot

9. General_Lee_Stoned

Hi Dez
    Sounds like you may be having hard drive problems if it isnt being recognized in the recovery console
    I would suggest making sure you have everything backed up, you may need to put this drive in as a slave on another machine to get your files off

Have you tried booting into safe mode with command prompt, and running chkdsk /r from a prompt

Also on the BSOD right at the top before the error code there is usually some info there on the error this is what we need

10. dezaster

dezaster Private E-2

every time i try to run a scan disk, it tells me the file system is ntfs and it cannot lock drive, or it cannot read drive.

this is exact text of bsod:

"a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

if this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

check be sure you have adequate disc space. if a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. try changing video adapters. check with your hardware vendor for any bios updates. disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. if you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer press f8 to select advanced startup options and then select safe mode.

technical information:
    **** Stop: (0x0000008E)(0xC0000005,0x03020100,0xAA4744F0,0x00000000)

---
    beginning dump of phsyical memory
    physical memory dump complete
    contact your system administrator or technical support group for furhter assistance."

and that's all it's givin me. i'm at a loss. would a fresh install of xp do anything? and if it was the hard drive, how can i still access all my files through safe mode? just wondering. thanks for the help
    dez

Last edited: Mar 21, 2004
  11. General_Lee_Stoned

OK well thats not too good then

First off i will remind you again to get anything important backed up in case of total harddrive failure

You may want to then as i suggested earlier try stripping the unit down to the bare minimum before trying to boot

Have you tried using System Restore from safe mode

Have you tried Safe mode with a command prompt and at the prompt type
    Sfc /scannow or just SFC for a list of available options

Also it might be a good idea to run the manufacturers Harddrive Diagnostics tools

12. dezaster

dezaster Private E-2

well, i think it might be too late.. i'm gonna pull the hd out and see if i can save any data. then probably go pick up a new hd today. i can't get into safe mode or anything. what a way to start the morning...

i just got into safe mode with command prompt and tried the sfc /scannow and it gave me a 0x000006ba code - the rpc server is unavailable. mean anything?

13. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

I think you can get the event logs for XP in:

Start -> Programs -> System -> Admin tools -> Event viewer
    see and post your results

14. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

15. dezaster

dezaster Private E-2

argh...

well, i can't get it into safemode... the only option i have that will open is safemode with command prompt.
    trying to get into safemode, it runs through the list of drivers and stops at Mup.sys and the hd spins and searches.. but i get no boot. kinda stalls.
    i've found fixes for the 0x000006ba error code, but all the fixes are for the os and not through the cmd.

16. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Well I did some research for ya and came up with this similier problem chk it out "Quote"
    Thanks. It turns out, I've gotten two defective processors. I'm getting a new one, "Defective processors are rare, and having 2 is outright near impossible." I have encountered this issue with Mup.sys merely by changing the hard drive with windows XP on it to a system that is identical in every way. And even had this occur simply by changing the microprocessor for an identical one... my guess is that windows XP somehow is accessing the hardware ID in the microprocessor, (even though I always have it turned off in the BIOS). MUP.sys - Multiple UNC provider...x heres a fix posted on another site Start the Recovery console or.. Start the computer with the boot disks or Windows CDROM After the Welcome to Setup dialog box appears, press R to repair, and then press C to start Recovery console. Choose install Windows and log on as Administrator. At the command prompt type "disable Mup.sys" "MUP stands for "Multiple UNC Provider" which assists Windows in locating resources when more than one redirector is on a machine such as "Microsoft Client for Microsoft Networks" and the "Novell Client for Novell Netware". When a connection to a server is requested it does not know if the request is to a Novell server or an NT server. It will start looking for the server with the primary protocol on the primary requestor and then continue looking for the server on each protocol bound to each redirector until the server is found." Restart the computer and all should be well.

17. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

What Im reading is Quote it runs through the list of drivers and stops at Mup.sys and the hd spins and searches.To me stopping at Mup.sys is where the problem is,it cant go any further.I stand to be corrected

18. dezaster

dezaster Private E-2

what if mup.sys is the last driver to be loaded? still cant get it booted up.. going to try the powermax option and see what, if anything, it will do. kinda runnin out of options

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The best thing to do at this point is enable bootlogging, and then check the log from Recovery Console, using the command, "type" minus the quotes. Here many times you can see what file is failing to load. You would have to boot into Safe Mode after enabling it, let it hang, then check the log file.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222

By the way, robo was right on. Windows XP loads files as it shows them on the screen. The last file shown is the last one to load successfully.

Point in case when a tech who called me renamed mup.sys.

Then it booted and hung, showing another file (the one right before mup.sys in the list).

Renamed that one.

Wanna guess which file it stopped at this time? ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2004
  20. General_Lee_Stoned

Have to agree with Adryn and Robo on last file loaded :)

Dez i think its time to get your important stuff backed up, can you put the drive in another machine as a slave to get your files off

What Adryn suggested would be good but if i recall you say you cant use the recovery console, so thats out too

Dont normally reccomend such drastic action but i think its time for a format and fresh install, at least try it before shelling out for a new Hard Drive

21. dezaster

dezaster Private E-2

it won't let me get into recovery console :confused:

i ran powermax and it said the drive was error free. best way for a fresh install?

22. dezaster

dezaster Private E-2

whoa.. just got into recovery... now what

23. General_Lee_Stoned

Hi Dez
    well if you are able to use the recovery console i would suggest doing exactly as Adryn suggested Enable Bootlogging, see the link posted
    Next time it hangs on boot into safe mode, then go back and check the log file

24. dezaster

dezaster Private E-2

so no luck with the boot logging because i couldn't get it into safemode... very odd behavior. but, i went and picked up a new drive and xp is installing on it right now. but i would still like to see what happened with the old drive. it is functional and is working fine as the slave on this computer. all files are there and i can run my programs off it. any ideas on what i can do to trouble shoot windows on it without having it loaded?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds