Power button light stays on??

Discussion in 'Software' started by M&A, Mar 21, 2007.

1. M&A

M&A Private E-2

Not sure if this is where I should put this or not, but I have a problem.

When I shut down the computer, the fan stays running and the light on
    the power button remains lit with a yellow/amber color. What could be
    causing this?

It just started happening yesterday. The only way to get the computer
    back up is to unplug it and plug it back in. Pushing the power button
    when it is like that does not work.

It is an e-machine, 2.7 GHz Intel Celeron, 80 GB with 1G Ram and I have
    Windows XP

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

How are you shutting down? Just hitting the button? Has the machine been configured to go into standby when that happens, instead of powering off? Does it work when you click Start --> Shut Down, and select Shutdown?

Here's how to check:

1. Right-click on the desktop
    2. Select 'Properties'
    3. On the 'Display Properties' dialog, select the 'Screen Saver' tab
    4. Under 'Monitor Power' press the 'Power' button
    5. On the 'Power Options Properties' dialog, select the 'Advanced' tab

The setting we are looking for is listed here under 'Power Buttons'. If this is set to standby, it will generate the symptoms you are experiencing.

3. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

I think your computer go into sleep mode or hibernation so right click on the screen goto properties then screensaver then monitor power click power
    then power schemes put all thing to never and check hibernate and untick that box.....

Hey i guess i not fast enought !!!!! ;)

4. M&A

M&A Private E-2

I am shutting down by going to the start menu and then turn off computer.

I use to go into hibernation, but I thought that may be the problem so I went to the turn off computer. It still does the same thing.

If the computer goes into stand by, I can't get it to come back unless I unplug it and plug it back in. That is also what happens when it is shut down for more than a few minutes.

5. M&A

M&A Private E-2

I tried that and it still is the same!!

I have been told various things from a program running in the background that is not shutting down, to the motherboard going bad, to the power supply. :cry

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Has anyone been tinkering around inside? Could the power LED connections have become reversed?

7. M&A

M&A Private E-2

We put new RAM in December. That was the only time it would have been opened up!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds