NIC Proccessor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wayne82, May 12, 2007.

1. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

How do I find out if my network card has a NIC proccessor?

Thanks ;)

2. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Not sure what you mean... NIC stands for Network Interface Card and I imagine all NICs have some sort of processor on them.

3. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

Im using FreshUI to tweak my system. But dont want to change something I dont understand. Im looking through PCWizard and SIW to make sure if I click something or change something I do it correctly.

One of the options is:-
    Enable Network Adapter Onboard Proccessor - Enable NIC Proccessor

You can tick or cross it. The following is what advice it gives:-
    If your network card has an onboard proccessor, designed to offload network proccessing from the system CPU, it is disabled by default. This setting allows you to enable it and increase the proccessing speed of your system.

Is that enough detail? Thanks.

4. curVV

curVV Private E-2

5. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

That is what I want to do with FreshUI, Im on a quest to tweak this thing as much as I can!

However, how can I be certain my card has this? As the link you give and FreshUI both say if you have this.

6. curVV

curVV Private E-2

u can get this info from your manufacturer's website or you could use software like sisoft sandra for more information on your installed hardware.

7. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

I looked in SiSandra, it dosent tell me about if I have this or not. I was going to post a screenshot but it has all sorts of MAC and ISP addys etc.

I dont even know who made my network card, as this computer is made by probably the worst company on earth. They dont even exist! (advent) They have no website, you have to contact another companys website of which charges you for information?! Quality service! NOT!

Im thinking i may just tick it to see if it causes any problems. Hopefully it wont. confused

BTW, nice link to that tweaking site above, i asked in interesting links for something like this! ;)

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Wayne do you have an actual Network Card as in a PCI one or is this NIC, ethernet port built into the motherboard?

If a card, you should be able to get a name or code off the actual card, may have to pull it out tho?

If on motherboard, then whats the motherboard Make and Version, as specs list will tell you make of NIC?

9. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

I dont know halo, heres a screenshot from SIW:-

geeks.jpg

I got rid of the IP and MAC addys of the shot.

I can get screenshots from PCWizard or SiSandra if needed?

10. curVV

curVV Private E-2

have a look at the back of your pc case. you will see if this is a pci card or onboard nic.

if u run into probs enabling the NPU, just reboot into safe mode and undo changes. give it a go. you probably won't notice much difference unless u do a exhaustive benchmark to strain the NPU a bit.

11. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

Thanks all. Ive just enabled it and seem to have no problems. If I do I will undo it as you say :)

12. tmiller67

tmiller67 Private E-2

going back to your screencap: Check the SiS site and check out the 900 model card info there and it should tell you for sure.

About enabling the option: If you have it enabled it should not cause any issues either way. If you have the NPU it will enhance performance, if you don't it just won't do anything.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds