One of my cats eyes is dilated.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ACE 256, Feb 4, 2008.

1. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

It did it once about a week ago but it went back to normal in a fue hours but now its doing it again and it has me worried. I'm pretty sure she isn't blind in the one eye and shes acting normal.

Attached Files:

• O_o.jpg
      O_o.jpg
      File size:
      25.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Poor wee cat :( I hope that it isn't anything serious? Have you been to the vet to get some eye drops or anything?

G

3. ACE 256

Unfortunately things are tight and I don't have the money to take her to the vet. I took a flashlight and checked both her eyes they both react to light properly just one is always dilated more then the other.

4. ACE 256

Ok, now I'm really worried the eye that was dilated is back to normal and the other one is dilated. :(

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi ACE

Dont know if Cats are different to humans, but possibles are glaucoma but not seen that shift eyes! detached retina or a viral.

How old cat BTW? as cats will be fairly susceptible to the same age issues as us and may get macular degeneration, this could cause the pubils to dilate to aid in correcting sight. Does cat seem in pain/distressed? ( sadly they cannot talk to tell us )

but this site I just searched on may help
    http://home.ivillage.com/pets/symsolve/0,,j8ql,00.html
    http://www.petplace.com/cats/glaucoma-in-cats/page1.aspx
    http://www.petplace.com/browse.aspx?a=2&c=170 ( full range of eye issues in cats )

6. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

Cats have three lids. Once my cat (years ago) looked like she had something growing over it. It's been so long ago now I forgot what caused it. I did call the vet and thats when I found out about the 3 lids. She went back to normal and I never noticed it again. Wish I could be of more help.

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Try some of the online Vet sites, Ace.
    http://www.purinaone.com/Experts/Default.aspx?Seg=t

I searched one that uses symptoms to help diagnose. It said: Mydriasis (see thumbnail)
    http://www.vet.cornell.edu/consultant/Consult.asp?Fun=Home&spc=&dxkw=&sxkw=&signs=

These are the human description for that condition.
    This is another site that gives some causes of Mydiasis:
    http://www.fpnotebook.com/Eye/Exam/Mdrs.htm

And last this is Wikipedia's description.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mydriasis

It looks like it can be caused by several things from actual medical problems to something your cat may have ingested.
    This is the google page with entries for that condition in cats.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Mydr...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Attached Files:

8. ACE 256

I don't think its glaucoma as she seems to be able to see fine out of them, both of her eyes respond to light and neither eye seems to be bothering her. I don't know what to think. She is acting normal as far as I can tell and she is eating and drinking normally. I cant find any thing wrong with her eyes other then one is dilating more then the other. I'm starting to think it may be neurological. She hasn't been in any fights or hurt her self that I know of. Im scared to death that it may be feline leukemia. After Theadrid and Ramisis died of it I don't think i could take going through that again :cry Rest in peace Theadrid and Ramisis .

Attached Files:

• rip.jpg
      rip.jpg
      File size:
      71.1 KB
      Views:
  9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

The only thing with glaucoma is that its not a suddern loss of vision it happens over time, the inter ocular pressure builds up pushing on the optic nerves, this can come and go, which is why many ( ok humans ) dont know they have it.

But as you say if shining a light in her eyes, she is not distressed by sensitivity to light then could rule a few things out as she not in any immidiate pain.

Doesnt seem like poisoning or eating something harmful as she is eating and drinking fine.... Neuro, possible, but only way is to take to vet to have them look at the retina, optic disk and surrounding retina ( just like when optician asks you to look up/look down/left and right.. they are looking at outside the retinal arcades for trauma/disease.

I just hope its one of those things that goes as quick as it came for you and cat.

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I know what you mean, Ace. I have a 12 year old cat, that is my buddy and every time I see a post about someone's pet with trouble or passing away, I wonder how I will handle his going.

Attached Files:

11. ACE 256

There both back to normal now. I'm just going to keep a close eye on her ( no pun intended rolleyes) and get some cat vitamins or something in case its a deficiency. Hopefully its something that will clear up by itself.

12. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

How old is cat? High BP can cause dilation but usually in both eyes, if went right back to normal most likely not that. Just keep an eye on and if happens again call vet or let us know and I will call my vet...maybe will have an idea. Problem is there are a lot of things that can go wrong with eyes in older cats.

:) pretty kitty pic

13. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

sunglasses?

Attached Files:

14. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Ace I know how distressing it must be for you presently. There are different reasons for dilated pupils which in normal daylight, the pupils are slit like.

Full dilation to a large black circle is a non-specific sign that the cat is unwell, especially when the pupils fail to constrict after you shine a light into the cat's eyes. It is commonly seen in Vitamin B group deficiencies, tick poisoning (like the paralysis tick we have on our eastern coast), inflammation of the eye nerve and many other debilitating sicknesses.

A trauma (eg hit on the head if landing badly or scratch to the eye) can also be a possible cause.

Not wanting to alarm you, but simply making you aware of possible causes, which only a vet can properly identify. Is there some animal hospital that has a low/minimal fee or free service you can take your little mate to, just as a precaution to ensure the cat's wellbeing and to stop you from unnecessarily worrying?

15. Dj-of-91

Dj-of-91 Private E-2

My cat has the same problem with his eye. He is only 2 years old so it isnt age. I have visited vet sites and they haven't been any help. I would call the vet but my guardian (i'am 18 btw) wont let me so it is a bummer. This has persisted for a couple of months to.

16. red death68

red death68 Command Sergeant Major

why not sneak a call and it could just be a freaky genetic thing like how some poeple when they get made actualy have had their irus change colors then when they calmed down they went back to normal

if not did your cat maybe eat somthing when you wernt lookin?

17. Dj-of-91

Dj-of-91 Private E-2

I think ill do that. and im not sure about what he might of ate

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds