Ancient PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by Madpuss, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Madpuss

Madpuss Private E-2

A friend dropped off a computer yesterday for me to update and install any version windows xp and so i gave it a shot. Turns out his hdd only had 6gb so he brought another 80gb hdd for me to install it on and that gave me some trouble with xp so i reinstalled windows 2k professional that he was using before problem is i don't even know where to begin looking gor drivers because this pc is home built...

thanks for the help in advance, the everest report is attached (this thing doesn't even have anything above 16bit color mode :S)

Attached Files:

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Which drivers do you need?

3. Madpuss

Madpuss Private E-2

Says I'm missing these in the device manager

Ethernet Controller

Multimedia Audio Controller

Multimedia Audio Controller

PCI Input Device

PCI Simple Communications Controller

Video Controller (Compatible)

so pretty much everything?

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

couldn't find an exact match, but this is for a pcchips motherboard, model m754L (not LMR, as listed)
    http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWebSit...New&DetailDesc=&CategoryID=1&MenuID=6&LanID=2
    has onboard modem driver, and ethernet.
    cmedia xp/2000 driver for audio
    http://www.cmedia.com.tw/drivers/pci/PCI-8738-090401-8.17.34(XP3264-LO-01).zip
    nvidia driver for tnt2 win2k
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_71.89.html

Not sure about the input device, could be usb? try the chipset drivers on the pcchips site.
    or fortemedia says it's a microphone? that could be the input device, but i didnt see any drivers listed on their website, or any info about that model.

5. Madpuss

Madpuss Private E-2

Thanks smoking, for now I'll run the audio and graphics drivers atleast and mess around witht the chipsets later or maybe leave it as is. The user doesn't connect to the internet and mainly uses the pc for dvd and cd burning so they should be able to survive right?

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Looks like there's 2 audio devices: the on-board audio (CMedia CMI8738/C3DX) and a PCI sound card (ForteMedia FM801). I strongly recommend either removing the PCI card, or disabling the on-board audio in the system BIOS. The chipset driver is one of the most important drivers as it's a layer between a particular device and Windows, and the chipset driver should ALWAYS be installed, preferably before installing all other drivers. Your motherboard has an ALI/ULI chipset. NVidia bought out ULI and is now hosting their drivers. You can download the chipset drivers from this direct link.
    :-D

7. Madpuss

Madpuss Private E-2

Thanks dlb the Chipset seems to have installed without any problems, cannot extract the sound drivers from smokingun's link i get this error

" C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Downloads\PCI-8738-090401-8.17.34(XP3264-LO-01).zip: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged "

and the graphics drivers tells me the version isn't compatible with the current hardware...This system is a piece of junk lol, no idea why they have it. Time for them to upgrade!!

8. Madpuss

Madpuss Private E-2

ok there's a new problem now... the user found an ehternet card and brought it by in hopes of us connecting to the internet and updating drivers through that method on the ancient pc, so now I need drivers for this card so we can connect straight to the net on the pc that we are trying to fix :cry

The card is a D-Link DFE-530TX

9. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

10. Madpuss

Madpuss Private E-2

yeah i've redownloaded it about 5 or 6 times and tried extracting using both winzip and winrar still no luck

11. Madpuss

Madpuss Private E-2

got the ethernet to work and connected to the internet then after connecting to 2 or so webpages comp restarts on its own lol, i think it's time to quit. thanks everyone for all the help :major

12. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yeah, may be time to bury this PC.... but..... if your having problems unzipping .ZIP files, there may be a bad memory stick that's corrupting them either during the download and/or during the extraction... maybe a faulty HD too.... however, I think it's time to call a priest either for last rites, or an exorcism!
    LOL

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds