Getting rid of fast browser search

Discussion in 'Software' started by Luckyneil, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Luckyneil

Luckyneil Private First Class

Suddenly, on Firefox, up in the right upper corner where my fave search engines reside an interloper showed up. I can't get rid of it either. It's this thing that call itself , "Fast Browser Search".

I want it gone forevermore. Any suggestions?

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

http://www.fastbrowsersearch.com/FBS_Toolbar/Help/helpUninstalling.aspx

Above is what the software maker recommends, if that doesn't do it then possibly Malwarebytes and a full scan. The price listed is for the full real time protection version, the scanner and removal is free. Update the program and run full scan, if Malwarebytes won't run you probably have other problems, and may need help from the malware forums after doing the recommended procedures.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

3. Luckyneil

None of those options worked for me. I update and run Malwarebytes regularly but I am still stuck with FastBrowser Search.

4. samtal

samtal Corporal

5. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

6. Luckyneil

7. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Give Revo a run :)

8. Luckyneil

I just ran the junk files remover and got rid of a Gig of crap. :)

The program uninstaller seems to work like windows uninstaller. (I set it to details view.)

Are you suggesting I unisntall Firefox then re-install it? Or is there a way I can get it to focus just on Fast Browser rsearch?

9. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Locate - Fast Browser in Uninstaller tab and run. Go on and check for registry entries. Check the high lighted items and clean up :)
    Cheers..

10. Luckyneil

I did it!

Right down to the deletion of regisrty values.

And.....it's ba-a-a-ck.

I reboted just to be sure and re-started Revo. It's no longer listed in Revo but it's still my default search engine.

Now what?

11. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

:crap TBH had never heard of this Fast Browser I don't see how FF has it as an add-on. Wait for more inputs. I think LauraR is online so hang tight. Don't want to direct you to Malware forums as I'm not sure.
    PS: Sorry Laura :) for the brain drain!

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Tools, then Addons. Is it listed there? If so, uninstall it through there.

13. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

14. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Most, if not all, search plugins should be *.xml files in Program files/Mozilla Firefox/searchplugins subdirectory, if you can find a matching .xml file in there, close FF completely and delete the .xml file, restart FF and try to delete the entry from the Manage Search Engines dropdown. Close and restart FF and check again in about:config and the registry.

EDIT: See also the bottom section of http://www.fastbrowsersearch.com/FBS_Toolbar/Help/helpFaqs.aspx

15. Luckyneil

Once the .xml file had been deleted FastBrowser Search was gone without having to take any other steps. Thank you very much!!

16. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm pleased we managed to find a workaround for you :)

17. Luckyneil

I guess I spoke too soon. After today's re-boot guess what? It's back. :-o

Incredibly persistant. I will go back and do the other steps in the recommended procedure.

18. hoodie

hoodie Private E-2

Type about:config in the address bar in Firefox. In the filter, type fast. This should bring up all the instances of where Fast Browser Search has taken over. Right click on each of the Fast Browser Search entrys and select reset. This should put most of them back to google. And that’s it! WHOOP!

19. Luckyneil

IThat was one of the earlier steps I took. As soon as I close FF and re-open it it re-appears.

After uninstalling Fastbrowser with Revo it no longer appears there eben though it is still my default search engine in FF.

Deleting the *.xml files in Program files/Mozilla Firefox/searchplugins subdirectory works until re-starting FF also.

It must be lurking somewhere in my system...

(I did a search for fast to no avail)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds