Is it possible for a router to get a virus or spyware?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Auric, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Auric

Auric Private E-2

I hope this is the correct forum for this question.

My computer has had a virus or spyware on it for the past couple of months. During this time the machine has ran slower, had different pop-ups, and the system has ran loud sounding like a jet engine. I've ran various scans on it, but they have not found the problem yet. I'm going to keep trying to find the cause of the problems later.

Getting to my question about the router. Last night my HP notebook (thats using the same router as the infected computer) had a Zone Alarm firewall message that it blocked something being sent or received from another computer ip address (the way it was worded made it sound like something to do with another computer on my network). It said it could have been a router error, but it's the first time I had seen that type of message.

I have just bought a new Desktop PC and my concern is can a router be infected and if so could it infect the new computer? Also if I keep using the infected computer with the router could it infect the other computers using the router? The Router is a Linksys WRT54GS

Thanks

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

No the router cant be infected. you should run through the MGs read and run me found here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 on your infected machine and get that cleaned up.

if you can post the error message, im sure myself or someone can help with that.

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Not entirely true. However, the BIOS/OS of the router would have to be flashed, and that would require someone to do it locally, as in connected to the network on the inside of the router rather than the internet.

4. Auric

Auric Private E-2

Thanks for the reply

Could the infected coputer do this to the router? I wanted to make sure I didn't hook up the new computer and have it start doing the same crap as the infected one.

Also I have went through part of the Malware Removal Guide, I just need to get around to running through the rest of it.

5. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

No, the computer could not do it, as it would need to input the username and password for the router, which the computer should not know.

6. Auric

Auric Private E-2

Even if the username and password are the defaults?

Thanks

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Your router is not infected.

8. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

No. There is no way for the ocmputer to determine the username or password, even if they are defaults.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for confusing you with a minor correction.

9. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

I'm no network expert, but there might be a chance that the one computer got the other infected over Internet, but it's probably just be coincidence.

10. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Routers are actually small computer with few MB of memory and the firmware acting as the OS (in nay Router it is a version of Linux).

As such they can get compromise with Junk but it is very rare.

However if a Router get infected it would affect the Onterent connetion in general Not the computers per-se your descriptiuon is a discription of Infected computer.

If a good AntiVirus and AntiSpayware show nothing try to use this free application and see what actually is running in your computer.

http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html#process

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds