XP Boot Black Screen, blinking. No safe mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fayban, Sep 20, 2010.

1. fayban

fayban Private E-2

I've been trying to fix this problem for my cousin over the phone and i'm running out of ideas.

After a windows update the comp wont boot. Choosing normal, last known good config, etc. results in a black screen right away right a blinking cursor in the top corner. Then i just hangs. This all happens before XP logo even shows up.

Cant get into safe mode either, it starts loading for a seconds and then restarts the comp.

I tried every option that i know from Recovery Console.
    CHKDSK
    fixboot
    fixmdr
    bootcgf
    deleting boot.ini

replacing ntdetect and ntl files
    replacing system, software, sam, etc files.

Win XP cd does not have the repair installation option.

I successfully installed another copy on the same drive different partition that works fine. What the hell is the problem. I've never seen one like this. No boot, no safe mode, nothing. Help

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, fayban.

I noticed 'fixmdr' in your list - is this a typo, or was that the command you used? 'Fixmbr' is the proper command. The same applies to 'bootcgf' - should be 'bootcfg'. (Apologize if these are just typos).

Looks like you've gone through the usual procedures - when you say you've installed another copy on a different partition, another copy of what? XP?

3. fayban

fayban Private E-2

Yeah, these are just typos, the actual commands were used properly.

Another copy of XP was installed on the 2nd partition. It was working fine as of yesterday.

Today my cousin is calling me and saying how the monitor say no signal and nothing is turning on, but thats another story.

4. Caliban

Try getting to the command prompt again and running sfc /scannow.

If that doesn't work, are there important files on the bad partition that need to be saved? If so, you might try burning a Linux live distro image, and boot to that disk - you should be able to copy any files it finds to a CD or USB drive.

If you're not worried about saving data, then you might consider booting to your XP disk, deleting all partitions, recreate a C: partition, and format/reinstall Windows.

5. fayban

fayban Private E-2

Can you ran sfc from Recovery Console? I know its pretty limited and i didnt see that command as one of the options. Didnt try yet. Its a pain trying to fix this since the PC is 400 miles away.

6. Caliban

No, not from the Recovery Console - from the 'Run' command. Just realized, though, that if the partition won't boot, this is a moot point.

The XP CD should have a Repair Install option - boot to the CD, get to the "To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER" option, press "Enter", and you should eventually get to the XP Setup page, where the Repair option is found.

7. fayban

fayban Private E-2

Nope, not this one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds