How much is your gas price?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BoredOutOfMyMind, Feb 24, 2011.

1. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Increase from $3.35 to $3.59 last month. Hiked to current $3.79 this week.

I see $4.59 at some Los Angeles stations. California is already bankrupt, now the citizens are suffering...

This is not a HBT attempt.

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Blame_ Fn Kadafi and Obumba

3. silas

silas MajorGeek

Keep civil. But we pay 3.60 last night. 20 cent up from last time. And we live in a smaller town and less pay.

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Went to $3.39 (87 octane regular) here today.

5. Bob D.

Bob D. Majorgeeks official old fart

Tucson Az.
    $2.999 for the cheep stuff.

6. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I pay around $3.80 on the local gas place with my discount card. $3.95 without the card.

We have one single pipeline feeding gas into our state, owned by Chevron. Guess what that does to gas prices... rolleyes

7. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Crude Oil was climbing fast this week but dropped $1.50 today. Last week it was in the low $80's per barrel, I just checked it at kitco.com and its at $97.18.

Last Sunday I filled my truck at 3.139, today it's 3.499 at the same station.

8. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

SC prices = $2.99 average for 87 octane...

9. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

$5.10 for the US gallon.
    Cheers..

10. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Whoa. You win...

11. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

87% octane with up 10% methanol = $3.05 per gal.

12. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I haven't had to get gas in a few weeks (live close to work and usually walk) but last time I got it it was $3.34 a gallon. Crooked speculators using the middle east unrest to raise cost before the actual shortage develops . . . if it ever does.

Is the the time to mention that if the Feds would allow us to drill more off the coast and in parts of AK we wouldn't even need to rely on the middle east?

Expect it to go up far higher unless the Federal Government steps in and does something. Don't hold your breath for that though - seems they are worried about other things; like CA's Barbara Boxer ranting on about people sleeping in their offices . . . :confused Umm, yeah - THATS got me wringing my hands in despair :-D

13. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Ours is around £1.25 per litre depending on which station,3.78 litres in a us gallon makes it £4.72 per gallon which works out at

$7.59 per US gallon, we win!

Literally most of the price we pay or fuel is tax,the price you pay for your fuel wouldn't even cover the tax we have to pay :-D

http://www.petrolprices.com/price-of-petrol.html

What worse ATM is the exchange rate,I was shocked just then the dollar is up to 0.61 value of the pound which is HIGH.For the uninformed that means America doing good we doing bad.

Basically what has happened is the gov has made huge cuts and the confidence in our currency has suffered which is exacerbating the problem.It would appear in this instance you guys,Obama got it right.

So I would say,think yourselves lucky:)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  14. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

But, Rikky - the States are roughly 40 times the size of Great Britain, so we have more distance to travel on average. ;)

We could have a discussion about the president and the economy, but the HBT thread is no more . . . :-D

Seriously, though - it could get a lot worse.

15. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

No Rikky we win. :-D To put in context the minimum wage in india (for 8hrs duty) for the entire month is $77.00 (Sevent seven)
    Cheers..

16. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Most of Europe is paying a high price for gas but as Rikky said the majority is tax.

In Belgium it is currently $6.40 per US gallon.

17. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

right, here is what's happening at the capitol of FEMA Region 6, i.e. Denton, TX.

Gas started on Monday at 2.88 a gallon.

As of last night, it's to 3.21 a gallon.

18. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

We are paying $1.19 per ltr, which I guess amounts to $4.52 US gallon but I don't mind because I simply think of how much they are paying in the UK as Rikky noted. I guess it's because I come from the UK and unlike North Americans we Brits have never had anything cheap, same as when people here complain about 13% HST (sales tax), I've never seen sales tax that low, the UK's is currently 20%, income tax is the same idea, so to me, while I'm paying almost half of what I would be paying back home, I'm happy :)

@sikvik... So are you saying that the min wage there is 48c per hour?... if thats the case it must be reflected in taxes and prices, I earn over 20 times that and cannot pay the rent this month lol

19. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Ned, the minimum wage as per labour laws is Rs 3500/- Per month
    This equates to around $77 Per month take home. This is for unskilled labour.
    Let me give you an example. A person earning 2K USD is fairly comfortable in India and would be in the middle to upper income earning lot.
    They would invest in a fuel efficient car costing approx 10k or less payable over 4-5yrs.
    Yes it's a prestige issue to own one here!
    They would not use it for transit to work. Unless distances were a max 20km both ways.
    They would need to save to go for a short holiday within India. With kids maybe once in two- three years.
    They would run the kitchen in tops $400.
    If they had a family house to live in fine. Else App $400 for a hole in the ground in any metro, PM.
    Weekend shopping splurge in a mall and catch a movie- no way.
    This would be the life of a senior manager. Same guy would probably earn 7-10k in the US and have a better standard of living. I think.

Cheers..

20. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

For a US Gallon the UK price average is $7.63 a gallon (at todays exchange rate) local price is £1.25 a ltr

But best part of that price is tax and duty which will equate to 60%+ of the actual price so dont know what taxes and duties the USA has on petrol (aka GAS)

21. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

I think you mean lose

22. Rikky

Damn!No wonder I every time I see videos of India so many people are on 50cc two stroke bikes.

Yeah we can't complain really we have one of the highest standards of living on the planet.

23. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I personally dont think that that has any baring on the price of petrol/gas makes no difference as in Russia which has a similar landmass its only at current rates $3.56 a gallon.

In the UK its a fair amount a tax/duty issue, but the price of oil per barrel on NYMEX is used the world over so is same basic end price per barrel, the local currency and tax has a great baring on the end user price.

;)

I can see near £2.00 a ltr by the year end ($11.89 a gallon), but never get me started on stock market analysts!!! who just guess this stuff that affects us all.... and HBT is nada now.

24. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Gone up from $1.30 per litre to $1.39 per litre overnight, which is about $6.11 per U.S. gallon, or $6.25 per Imp Gallon. Mind you, we get no oil from Libya or Egypt, we are more than self-efficient. Some people are raking in the dollars, at our expense .
    The Govt. is making noises about launching Public Enquires as per usual. Another waste of public money, as nothing is ever done. We don't need an Enquiry to spell GREED rolleyes. Like the U.K., about 85%+ is Govt. tax, so we all know who is bringing in most of the cash. I understand why some countries have a need for high fuel price, but there is definitely no need for that here.

25. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Gas jumped up around .20¢ gallon overnight. $3.20 or so, depending on where you shop. Depending on what happens in the Middle East, I would not be surprised to see it around $5 a gallon this summer. Hope it does not happen. :major

26. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

NE IL the lowest price I seen today for 87 oct was $3.55

The worst thing when Gas goes UP so does everything else

Fudge...................

27. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I'm kind of sensing a little offense, please don't think I was trying to say I'm worse off, I think I'm pretty well off sitting in the lower end of the class structure, I have a roof, fairly decent health and a meal every day, good enough for me. So in no way was I trying to dumb down what it's like in some countries. My thought was 48c here wont buy you...... anything really.... not that I can think of anyway, maybe a carrot. So I figured that like many countries or places that have lower or higher wages, there is a reflection in the cost of living to some degree.
    Anyway, no offense was meant :)

28. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Pesky Economics. :-D

It does suck, at work we start getting 'fuel surcharges' for stuff. The funny thing is the company that replaces our floor mat, towels, and such will add one on. But, they are RIGHT NEXT DOOR to us! :-D We are like WTF Bob...

29. Rikky

:-D Something similar happened to me recently.I use a lot of heat shrink tube building electronics so I had to find a good cheap supplier so I found a decent place with good quality and prices and ordered some.When the guy came round he wasn't a delivery guy it was just a guy in a car :confused we spoke and it turns out the company was based just around the corner less than half a mile and to save delivery charges and trouble ect. I asked if I could just walk round and buy some he replied 'of course.'

So I walk round there into their front office and ask can I buy some heat shrink tube I've seen it for sale on their website and like their prices,they said sure so I got some money out and was stopped straight away and told they don't accept cash,they then had a long conversation about petty cash and disappeared :confused Upon their return I told the sales woman what I wanted she brought it and put it on the desk and I got the card out ready to pay.

She then proceed to go to EBAY on the computer:confused:confused and then on to their website and began to fill out an online order for me as if she was me and I was at home:-D

Long story short I was in there for over half an hour to buy £20 worth of heat shrink tube,it was hot and boring and I think I'll get it delivered next time :-D

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  30. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Just WOW.

Life is full of funny sometimes.

31. BoredOutOfMyMind

And you cannot fix stupid, ever. :cool

32. Caliban

We've got some variation, now - within a 25 mile stretch, prices range from $3.15 to $3.30 for 87 octane. I'm wondering when the local gouging will really become noticeable.

33. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

34. Caliban

Yeah, we have new laws here, too, especially since a few greedy station owners were busted post-Katrina, when a lot of folks from your way sought refuge here.

You know how it goes, though, especially in small towns - it's all about who you know...:(

35. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I just blame it on the Mann. :-D LoL, one of our customers is in oil and gas, and his last name is Mann. So, I know the Mann. ;) He is actually a nice guy, drives a Hyundai. I am under oath not to give any more of the Mann's info out. :cool

:-D

36. Rikky

Explain please:confused:-D

37. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Just a joke about 'The Man'. It looses all humor if you have to explain it. ;)

38. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Was reading today they want to lessen the amount of time over the road truckers can drive, and stuff. Which inturn will increase shipping rates on freight and so on, will be increasing to see the price on goods go up over that.

39. BoredOutOfMyMind

Add 75 cents a gallon and we will see 10-20% increase by summer at the grocery store. :cry

40. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Will be watching this topic. Leaning towards HBT for my thoughts, so I will watch yours.

41. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

Jesus. $5? We were at that stage in 2001!! About £5.60 a gallon here. Nearly $10.
    Expect to see £6+ in the very near future. Unless the govt introduces a fuel stabiliser, like they promised in their pre election manifesto.
    Yeah, right.

42. oldandconfusedagain

oldandconfusedagain Private E-2 <i>emeritus</i>

yesterday, at the local pump was 3.19 gal
    today was 3.29 gal

43. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Oh, I know - I was just being facetious with Rikky :)

The problem here seems to be commodity speculators taking advantage of the upheaval in the middle east to jack up prices because of a possible "shortage" that may develop - long before any shortage, if any, actually happens. Grrrr. :mad That's what the feds need to step in and deal with.

I think they all have us trained now - heck, back a few years if the gas had just gotten as high as it is now we would have pitched a fit. Now we say "it's not so bad. It was up to X dollars a gallon!" rolleyes

Sadly, I fully expect it to get much worse before it stops.

44. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I've been saying that for a while now, they lets say your current price is $3 per gallon, they then hike it to $3.50 for a couple of weeks and then drop it to $3.30.

The consumer thought process goes like this....

At $3 per gallon "Gas is cheap, I like gas"

At the hiked $3.50 "OMG look at the price of gas, we can't afford this, we will be on the streets soon"

At $3.30.. "Phew, gas went down 20c, wow, YAY gas is cheap again"

We fall for it every time.

45. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

In Lakes Region New Hampshire prices are at $3.30 a gallon for 87 was like $3.07 last week

46. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Just saying.... no one will quit driving their vehicle, even if gas prices double tomorrow! Even with fab public transport. Creatures of habit and comfort.
    Cheers..

47. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Crude went over the $100 mark a few days ago. The average price today in the Minneapolis area is $3.54 per gallon. A month ago it was $3.14.

Ethanol (aka: food for fuel) hasn't helped the economy. It's actually driven food prices up along with fuel prices.

All I can say is Hydrogen. I added it to my Dakota pickup and went from 16mpg city to 19mpg city with a unit that cost me $25 to build. I wonder how well something like that could work if the auto and truck industry actually started integrating the technology into their vehicles with proper engineering?

48. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Ding Ding Ding. Seems to work every time. I remember when gas was less than a dollar per gallon. :cool

49. Bob D.

Bob D. Majorgeeks official old fart

Up to $3.239 :cry

50. Rikky

It had to be cheap back then though so people had torch fuel to light their caves.

:-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds