Is google and youtube safe to use

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by nec209, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nec209

nec209 Private First Class

Anyone read the privacy policy and terms of use ? If I understand it people tell me not to use google and youtube thet they are spyware !!! The company gets infornation on what you look at or search for and save it in a electronic database and sale it to advertisers and businesses

Anyone read the privacy policy and terms of use .

2. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Really, the entire i-net is 'spyware' to some extent. I you're worried about it, you can use something like the 'Ghostery' extension. - Either that, or retire from the 'Net, permanently. ;). Internet snooping is here to stay and will no doubt get worse. It aint a coincidence that someone knows what country and city you live near, and what the conversation is about and sticks the advert of a similar subject in your face.

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

HA! Good stuff - thx, Laura! ;)

5. Phantom

Yep, some people have a problem with information being public on a public media and advertising to pay for free services roflmao. Go back to communicating by Registered 'snail-mail' if you want privacy.rolleyes
    T.B.H., it ticks me off much more that I get cheezy adverts coming across my satellite T.V. channels, that I pay a not-so-mall fortune for. And most are just their own station adverts. :( So they collect info on what I watch on T.V. as well. Ah well, if they're that interested in knowing that I'm watching the History Channel, or Disco, or something - go for it, I guess.rolleyes

6. Caliban

Agreed 100%...

And your earlier "Internet snooping is here to stay and will no doubt get worse" rings very true - we may as well deal with it...

Ah, the price we pay...

7. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Exactly, Phantom. I have always said it's really easy to stay safe on your computer. Just unplug the internet. The internet parralels real life so if you are a shut in afraid to go outdorrs for fear of mugging, car accident or an airplane dropping on your head... well thats for a psychiatrist.

But most of what Google and other sites do is by use of cookies, something we have explained to people for many years are actually safe. Even anti-malware companies finally got onboard and stopped lying to people about scary tracking cookies. Cookies are supposed to track you. In this case you have a cookie right now to save your ligin for Majorgeeks. Google will show you relevant content based on your cookies and where you have been but it's not like some little man is following you around reporting to the CIA your every movement. It's totally different.

Think about traffic cameras and other cameras that record you all the time. You don't sta inside because of this and unless you plan to run the wrong red light or rob a bank, that information isn't being used against you, in fact it is being used for you.

We live in a new world in the past 5-10 years alone.

8. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

So Google results that point to MG are safe.

;)

9. nec209

I think it is wrong that google or youtube will keep a database on sites you go to or what you search for !!! If this not enough they sale it to advertisers and businesses.

People say do not use google than what to use yahoo or bing ?

10. Major Attitude

Block cookies. It's easy to do with any browser. Ta-da!

People assume the internet is free. Well, there are millions of people who make their living from it. I don't know who "these people" are but they always seem to be around. I do, however, know a lot of people who make their living on the internet.

You asked geeks for an opinion and I feel you got quite a few intelligent ones but if you want to believe those "other people" well.... we tried. :)

P.S Yahoo, Bing and many more all do the same. But its a good idea to be dilligent.

11. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

12. Major Attitude

13. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

You're probably better off unplugging your computer and taking it back to the store. ;)

Just be diligent. Either block cookies or clear them from your browser's cache every time you use it. But you cannot avoid cookies, nor should you want to. The intent is not malicious, nor is it an attempt by some shadowy government agency to track your every movement. Rather, it is a means of showing you advertising that might actually be of interest to you. But if you're paranoid about it, the best option is to never go online and look at anything. Every website on the internet uses cookies.

14. nec209

Cookies are use to track where go on the site .If I log in to majorgeeks it is possible for webmater to track me . Well you can do it by my IP address too:-D . That is how youtube does it.

But any time you use google search it will log your IP address and what you are searching for !!

I find it disturbing that yahoo,google ,youtue or bing would do this and keeping this in a database.It is even more disturbing they sale it to advertisers and businesses.

But hay if I had my own web site and I want to keep a log and track what are the most viwed pages than yes I can do that .You do not have to come to my web site if yo are oppose it.

But yahoo,google ,youtue or bing that is other thing .It not some web site.

15. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Yahoo, Google, YouTube and Bing are all, in fact, websites. You are not required to use them if you don't want to.

Obviously this is an issue for you, so you should avoid all websites that use cookies to track what you are interested in so they can tailor their advertising toward your interests. Unfortunately, that means you pretty much can't use the internet.

Or, you know...block cookies. ;)

16. nec209

Blocking cookies you have use proxy ..The ISP logs you too but by law the police need warrant to access it.

There where issues that came with the government and google in past.Most people do not read the privacy policy and terms of use .Most people think google ,yahoo,bing and youtube is legit.Well money corrupts them and will log you and keep you in a database for their own profit and will sale your browsing habits for advertisers and businesses.

I do not know how to stop this other than use of a proxy or mass protest will the government will pass laws .

17. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

18. nec209

19. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Sorry, now I am done. Either you are being deliberately obtuse or you really do need to send your computer back to the store. You might want to pick up some aluminum foil while you're there for your hat.

20. nec209

I don't think you understand how networking work . When you type in google search box it logs your IP address in database .Just about any web site has tool to log your IP address or track you by your IP address .

All comes down to does the webmaster do it. I use to run web site and would keep statistic log on the browers and OS's and most pages viewed and time of day logged. It would not be to hard to put in search box to log the IP address. It is very easy for any web site to log and track you.Yes even majorgeeks can easy do it and I'm sure staff does.

Now that we have gone over internet 101 that take look at news . Most peole do not read the privacy policy and terms and most people do not want google ,yahoo,bing or youtube to log you in database. That is the problem.

We all know internet 101 it is very eay for any web site to keep log of you and only way is the use of proxy to not show your true IP address.

The problem is ,most peole do not read the privacy policy and terms and when they hear the news well they hate the fact google ,yahoo,bing or youtube does this.

Most people when they hear it well they get upset that google would sale it to advertisers and businesses. That is what people are upset about.

And again to top it off for people here that do not know yes even your ISP keeps log of you and stores it for X about time is anyone guess how long 5 years ,10 years more ....

The only difference is the ISP will not give info out to police with out a warrant.I read case back before where police where trying get info from google.

21. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I don't think you understand that browsing the internet is completely different from networking.

But whatever. You asked for our opinion and you were given several answers. Obviously you choose not to believe any of us, but rather prefer to remain in your own paranoid corner of the world. Which is your prerogative, and more power to you!

I, however, am done trying to explain things to you in a manner you should be able to understand. If you are that afraid, then by all means you should avoid visiting websites that use cookies and/or log your IP address. You should probably also cancel your contract with your ISP. The internet is a big, scary place, and it's not for everyone.

Have a nice day! :)

22. nec209

Read this The problem is ,most peole do not read the privacy policy and terms and when they hear the news well they hate the fact google ,yahoo,bing or youtube does this.You kmow track them and keep log in theire database !!!

Most people when they hear it well they get upset that google would sale it to advertisers and businesses. That is what people are upset about.

Where did I say I was afraid ????? Where ? Tell me where I said I was afraid ???? I'm smart enough to not do any thing illegal one the internet .

And if I was paranoid to use a proxy and never yes never sign up for group,web site or message board yes even like majorgeeks.

23. Major Attitude

Lets chill out.

24. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

Neither one are safe for anyone... but not because of privacy practices. It's because there is a direct correlation with how long you spend on them and a steep drop in IQ points.

Just sayin...

Case in point:
    [youtube]hgOpcUUqtX0[/youtube]

25. Caliban

Dammit, there went 3:24 of my life...

Thanks a lot, Wenchie...rolleyes

Dammit...

26. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

See? Mind/soul sucking. Completely dangerous.

27. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Phone your ISP and ask for a dynamic IP that way way your IP will be different every time you log on, and its free well on my ISP anyway.

Fixed!

28. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

So even singles get it from Microsoft on Valentines Day? Sweet, and yet creepy, all at the same time.

Frankly I find Google and Youtube to be about as safe as anything else on the internet. (Majorgeeks excluded) You'll find viruses and trojans, and other unsavory things just about anywhere. At least MG is run by people who know how to make those things go away if they do show up.

And staying home isn't safe either. After all, most accidents occur within 10 miles of home. So you're basically just standing on ground zero. (Why yes, I am the worlds most terrible therapist. Thank you.;)

29. Phantom

...Encase yourself in a solid block of Plexiglass......It's the only solution!...0_o.

30. Rikky

Not from radiation:-D

31. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

If it was a solid block, the radiation would need to hit it within a few seconds of encasement to stand a chance of being noticed in the 3 minutes or so of remaining lifespan ;)

32. nec209

The start of thread was this .

Anyone read the privacy policy and terms of use ? If I understand it people tell me not to use google and youtube thet they are spyware !!! The company gets infornation on what you look at or search for and save it in a electronic database and sale it to advertisers and businesses

Anyone read the privacy policy and terms of use .

It was replied thay do that.

Thread solved.:major

Options are for people .

-use proxy
    -do not go to that web site
    -Or a mass protest.

I think some people are very internet naive that google ,yahoo ,bing or youtube would not do that.

33. Caliban

Relax, nec209...

You obviously have strong opinions about this subject. That's fine, but there are others here who have differing opinions, which is also good...

Meanwhile, this is a lounge, where the introductions of such serious debates might be construed as bad etiquette, especially if emotions get out of hand and if rude words start getting thrown about...

So, relax - have a drink on me...:wine

34. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

I have a bit of an issue with my searches being watched but I'm ok with the specific sites I open as a result of that search. Does that make sense?

I'm actually much more concerned about the recent compromise in my home network over the last couple of days. WPA-2. I don't know how they did it.:mad
    I have questions for the Networking Forum

No Google, that wasn't me. I was never there.

35. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

36. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

You have made the point several times about people not reading the T&C's.

If you do not read them then you have zero and I DO mean "Zero" recourse.
    You cannot complain about a car accident when you chose not to acknowledge the Red light.

I really don't see anything different except they are now admitting they are tracking you.
    It's been going on for ages, how do you think that little pop up advert in the corner knows what town you live in?
    Why do you think you get spam?
    Why do you think you get telemarketers phone you?
    Why do you think you get flyers in the mail?

It's marketing, these companies are there to make money. Period.
    They cannot make money without Marketing and research.

In my opinion, the only people griping about this are either terrified of the internet as a whole, in which case take some lessons or stop using it.
    Or they are browsing and searching for things they don't want anyone to know they are searching for, in which case maybe you should not be searching for it.

To be perfectly honest, and I'm not being insulting here but the argument you put forward and the refusal to accept opinions that counter that argument is what is commonly known as "Scaremongering"
    Nothing is different than it was really, it's just people now know about it.

It's as simple as this, what is there, is there. Use it or don't.
    Those are your only 2 choices at this point in time.

37. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

1. It is possible to complain after the fact of ignoring T's&C's especially when the "Red light" isn't clear. Taking this analogy further, the reasons being and not limited to (remember this is analogical and the ideas need to be translated back into context of the T's&C's equivalent of the "Red light"):
    a) Culture - e.g., "Red" actually means go;
    b) Pathological - e.g., colour-blindness "Red" cannot be distinguished from another colour;
    c) Legal Requirement - e.g., emergency services can cross a "Red light" as a legal requirement;
    d) Ambiguous - e.g., definition of terms used in T's&C's can misinterpreted, don't know why "Red light" is associated with "district".
    e) Complexity - e.g. a "Red light" is housed in complex machinery that you need a high-level qualification to undertand.
    etc.

2. Agree with that it is scarmongering and I guess the OP needs insurance (allowing the OP the cross the "Red light" safely, e.g., anti-virus, anti-spywatr, backups, etc.,) and assurance (the "Red light" is legally installed so the company's and users are kept legal). -- Sorry still stuck in analogy mode --

It should be remembered that Google, Microsoft, You-Tube, etc. and the Public are bound by the legal constranits of their respective countries or societies. This does not mean that there cannot be a rogue but generally it is sanity rather than anarchy that is maintained. I think that there have been legal challenges to T's&C's (wonder why that reminds me of U's&E's too many medical dramas but I digress).

It remind me of an old saying "Being paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you". :-D

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  38. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

Wow, this thread owes me 5 minutes of my life.

39. Rikky

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/south-park-parodies-itunes-terms-and-conditions/10043

:-D

For example even it was written in the TC they can't do this to you as Maxwell said:-D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  40. Phantom

LoL! - I saw that stupid 'Human Centipede' movie and ya, let's just say that once was more than enough!;)
    With Google, YouTube,and the i-net in general, you accept the T&C, (read or unread), like the rest of us, or don't and don't use the services. Simple, eh. Because most of us, while we don't particularly like all the tracking and marketing B.S., actually have real lives and problems to be concerned about.rolleyes

41. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

Very true. Also, most people don't think about the bigger picture, but if you'd do, you'd really want an aluminium house. It's best to pick your battles, and to be honest: I wouldn't be surprised if Google was already doing this - and to be honest, they'd have to be pretty stupid to not be doing it already.

Oh and Phantom, PM back man :p

42. Phantom

Done, mate!:)

43. nec209

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...nal-backlash-over-tracking-of-safari-users-/1

Other ways are google is evile.

44. nec209

May be some people here know about it but I sure did not know about it to now

45. Major Attitude

O.K at Majorgeeks you ask a question we answer. Once you start telling us the answer, we tell you to get lost. Doing it twice, your a bigger dick. Yes, we all saw that news. I suggest you disconnet from the internet because here is the end game:

SOMEONE WILL ALWAYS BE TRACKING YOU.

Now stop bothering us, some people need REAL help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds