MS Update Win 7 - KB2565063 ca. 8 Aug/11

Discussion in 'Software' started by HUDIK, Mar 2, 2012.

1. HUDIK

HUDIK Sergeant

This update notification just showed up in my taskbar...wondering why it took MS so many months to tell me. Have tried to find out what the heck it is...but going through the usual hoops of MS knowledge base, and no wiser.
    This is some that I copied. Perhaps somebody here can tell me about this:

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2565063)

Download size: 8.6 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified leading to MFC application vulnerability in DLL planting due to MFC not specifying the full path to system/localization DLLs. You can protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221007

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hmm, quick guess: you've recently installed software that relies on C++ 2010 to run, the libraries would have been packaged and installed alongside the 3rd party software.

3. HUDIK

HUDIK Sergeant

Not that I know of, just updating software that I have used for quite a while. Nothing new comes to mind. It also said it related to o/s's other than 7 (at least I didn't see 7, but it could be pertinent anyway, yeah), and that's also why I went looking for some answers. Thanks for replying:)

4. unimatrix001

unimatrix001 Private E-2

5. HUDIK

HUDIK Sergeant

Checked my MS update history and can't find the original update for the KB2251481 which the KB2565063 is a revision of.....so now am really confused. Unless I am reading this all wrong. which is of course possible. Thanks for your reply much appreciated. Somehow I will get to the bottom of this....it was so much easier when they were called 'hotfixes'....

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I keep monthly note cards on what updates are offered and what I installed (XP Home, Pro and 7 Home Premium). I checked August 2011 through February 2012 and I was not offered this specific file. Then I started looking, specifically what Susan Bradley had to say and I couldn't find anything from her either.
    Is this update shown as "recommended" (meaning optional) or is it listed as important (meaning security)?
    On my computers, I hold off until I know exactly what is asking to be installed and if the update causes any problems.

I just worked again on my Win 7 yesterday because there were patches on Tuesday. I went through all I had hidden and did not see that particular update.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms11-025
    You must have something using MS Foundation Class. Apparently I don't so was not offered this particular update.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  7. HUDIK

HUDIK Sergeant

It was listed as 'important', but can't find the originl update. Have nothing hidden and the update history shows no original that had to be revised. Perhaps you are right and I have something using 'MS Foundation Class', but I have no idea what, and I usually know what.
    Mystery to me. Thanks for your help.

8. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

It would be pretty unusual for a normally used Windows machine not to have any MFC components - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Foundation_Class_Library - perhaps even impossible without some hacking or great care not to install programs using or compiled with it.

It could be related to something unusual - example: Waterfox (x64 browser privately built from Mozilla code, compiled with Visual C++ 2008) throws up errors and doesn't run unless C++ 2008 runtimes are installed. Pale Moon x64, based on the same Mozilla code but compiled with Visual C++ 2010, just works and needs no runtimes.

9. HUDIK

HUDIK Sergeant

You are of course right, it is unusual, and to be perfectly honest I don't know every program, and what it uses. But based on a 35 year relationship with computers, it just seems a little strange that MS all of a sudden throws me an update I don't have the original of. I don't think it would harm to install it, but wanted to know what/why. Thanks for all your help/links, wisdom, and knowledge you have all shared with me.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds