Greetings

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Adrynalyne, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Has been a while. Thought I would pop in and say hi.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Holy Moley...... how the hell are you doing J?

So what you up to these days and its good to see you back on the forum.

3. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Hey, good to see ya still around, Adryn! :cool:)
    Yeah, give us the buzz on what ya been doing.;)

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Oh gosh...lots of stuff.

My life in a nutshell for past few years:

Went back to school for chemical engineering; got kicked out.
    Went back to school for software engineering at the only college that would take me; University of Phoenix. Should finish up the beginning of next year.

Gained a small (or large depending on you look at it) following in the Android community. I've been developing roms, kernels, and providing mods with some other friends and acquaintances I have met along the way. Lots of fun, but a stupid amount of drama.

I have worked on:

Motorola Droid
    Droid Incredible
    Samsung Fascinate
    Samsung Continuum
    Droid Incredible 2
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Galaxy Nexus (current)

Currently taking a break from that an trying to get my crap together so that when I graduate, I can dive right into mobile development. Hence, I have time to come back and visit :-D

I lurked recently to read my debugging thread :-D Yes, I am back to reading those.

5. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Holy crap! :-D

Just saw you signed in up top! A very long time no see.

How's life?

Awesome on the future Engineering degree!

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Life is life ;)

Nothing worth bragging about really. I got a new laptop though :-D

7. LauraR

Hey, the new laptop thing is pretty fun!:)

I just bought my husband a new one (yes, I have a husband who needed a laptop and had no interest in actually doing it himself rolleyes). I was excited to get the whole thing cleaned of bloatware and get some other things installed.

I gave it to him, and he spends all of 5 minutes on it. :confused

How's your little girl (if I remember correctly)?

8. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Hi Moley,

I don't know you but I've read your guide on debugging BSODs a few times - very nice! :):cool

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

This one was mostly bloat free, and an HP to boot!

HP Envy laptops get to enjoy a little more freedom there.

Jenna is good..she cut her toe at school earlier this week. I haven't had the heart to tell her, but she pretty much cut the tip off. Its nothing stitches can help with, but she will have an angry scar.

No more open ended shoes for her at school :|

I will post an updated pic when she gets out of school today.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I need to update it It isn't very Windows 7 or 64 bit friendly as I found out a couple weeks ago.

11. LauraR

Yeah, I've got the Envy...they are pretty awesome. I got him an HP Pavillion (w/ Beat Audio...which I had no idea what that is, but it sounds pretty damn awesome). The bloatware wasn't as horrible as I remember Dell being, but it was still there.

Awwwww....poor Jenna. How old is she now? You can tell her she gets to brag about her battle scars when she gets older. At least it's only on her toe...that's not too horrible. Our schools have pretty much banned the open-toed shoes.

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

She is going to be 9 in June.

Poor kid. To date she has had stitches in her lip, a broken ankle, and now this.

13. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Hi Jeremy. Welcome back :) Sounds like your daughter is a bit of an athlete or very rambunctious :confused

Congrats on the Software Engineering ....

pssst have a spare 'Droid?

j/k

14. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Hey stranger!! Long time no see. ;)

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I call it clumsy ;)

I actually have a Droid Incredible 2 sitting in a drawer and a Thunderbolt in my laptop bag ;) I am all bout the Nexus these days:

http://www.teambamf.net

I am taking a break from it right now to get other things done.

16. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Ahhh Adrenalynes account has been hacked!

:-D

Welcome back,for a while anyway...

17. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Welcome back dude!

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

For AbbySue:

[​IMG]

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

20. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Silly filter.

:-D :-D

21. LauraR

What a cutie, Adryn.:) She's even got the shades going on that match her shirt.

22. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yeah we got her transition lenses. She is so proud of those glasses; they had no kid sizes that fit here, so she had to go to women's frames.

23. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

Hey Adrynalyne. I seem to remember you posting a picture of your daughter when she was a baby. Almost a decade slipped away again.
    Is she as opinionated as you yet?;)

24. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yes, but I win those battles ;)

25. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

I'll check back in 6-8 years.

26. LauraR

roflmao

Being the mother of 13 & 16 year old girls...I'll go with sibeer. My oldest has my husband wrapped around her finger.

27. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Hey Adrynalyne. We've communicated a few times here and on the Arch forum. I was just wondering the other day where you were. I hadn't seen anything from you in a long time.

Welcome back.

Are you still playing at all with Linux? I'm still stuck on Arch for my webservers. I can't find anything else as streamlined that isn't filled with symlinks.

28. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Wow, the dead have returned!

I long wondered what happenned to you when I see your name at the sticky in one of the Forums. I also wondered if you were the same Adrynalyne on the Droid forums.

I would say "Welcome Back" and fear you may not stay this time.

29. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yeah, unfortunately due to my Android fetish, I am stuck with Ubuntu 10.04.3. It works best for it, even though I hate the OS. I'd say I still spend the majority of my time in Linux than Windows though.

Have you tried Chakra? Its a fork of Arch and even though I don't care for KDE, I am learning to like it a lot on Chakra.

30. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You can be safe to assume that 'Adrynalyne' on any forum is me ;)

For better or worse (I have plenty of haters, some deservingly).

I probably will stay, for a spell at least. I need to get back to my roots.

31. BoredOutOfMyMind

I thought you had migrated to Arch.

I moved to Linux Mint Debian from 10.04 (hated Unity) and due to economics, migrated back to Win7 Saturday. (can't easily print coupons in Linux and 2nd job requires IE)

Are you building themes, or actual Droid apps?

32. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I tried Ubuntu. It lasted about two hours.

I'll give Chakra a try. Most of my stuff is just at the console though. I usually don't even install a desktop. Just file servers and webservers and one mail server that I have learned to dislike very much.

33. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Holy crap. The prodigal son returns?

Welcome back! Great to see you again! :wave Beautiful girl. :)

34. DavidGP

Wow you have been busy and just like me massive changes in life goals and work!

Software Engineering, so I always knew you wanted to take over the world and become like HAL ;) I wish you well with the course and know that its an area you will excel in.

Dunno why but when you mention "Droid" I get that immortal line from Star Wars in my head "these are not the droids you are looking for" :)

OMG Jenna is so grown up! - tempus fugit.

35. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

Well, well now, look who it is! Loong time, no see stranger. It's nice to see you back again. :)

If my sister knew you created apps for the droids, she'd probably stalk you. My sister is THE biggest droid fan ever, she is constantly showing me all of her brand new cool apps she finds and was very adamant that I get a droid when I was looking for a new phone. She was very disappointed in me when I chose a Windows phone instead of a droid and constantly tells me so. :-D

36. DavidGP

I'm impressed :) what Windows Phone you got? as Windows Phones are small market at present they are cooler than iPhones and Droids IMHO :major

Plus add Windows 8 to the mix and Windows Phone 7's are even better, the final of Win8 will make having a WP7 a great experience. On the CP of Win8 I only have to add on my phone or PC an item as say a calendar addition and it replicated on all devices.

37. dyamond

I chose this phone. I love, love, love this phone. I chose it ultimately because I wanted an touch screen with an actual keyboard but once I got it and played around with it, I can't be parted with it now. Updated to Mango, and it got even cooler.

I love that I can upload something to my SkyDrive from my computer and it shows up on my phone. I love that when I synced it to facebook, that every single photo or album I uploaded is right there on my phone as well and that is just a small fraction of it's coolness. :cool

Dell support was awesome too, as my first phone had a defect and when I called I had a new phone in about 20 minutes and received it that very next morning.

38. DavidGP

Neat Diamond :)

Mango is neat and like you I find that Skydrive sync is superb, I have this one HTC HD7 plus have blogged about Win8 HERE (other posts on Win8 are on the blog also and many more to come on Metro UI and other Win8 apps once I type them up)

Plus the fact that your contact list in People rotates the pics around is just a plus point over the iPhone ;) a gimic I know bit I like flashy UI things.

Good stuff on Dell support.

39. BoredOutOfMyMind

dyamond Do you like for the purple color?!?

LOL

40. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Arch actually does not work well for Android.

I am doing kernel and OS work. Modding for now, until I learn more coding.

41. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

42. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

But...I like broken sigs ;)

43. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

haha - touché...

Welcome back, Adryn...:wave

44. dyamond

Yea, I like that too. I'm sure there are things about this phone that I haven't discovered yet but so far, I love it. I like how it seamlessly syncs with Zune player too. It's so easy to get my songs from my pc to my phone and vice versa. Nice phone btw. I've always loved HTC's.

What purple color?? :confused

45. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If its not Android, its not worth it ;)

Windows Phone is good for Xbox junkies.

46. dyamond

Meh, you sound like my sister. :p

I'm not a xbox junkie, I just like my phone to do things that are useful to me, it doesn't just have to be purty or just play games. :-D

47. BoredOutOfMyMind

screenie showed purple colored icons.... ;)
    (This thread offically Thread-jacked!) :-D

48. Shadowchaser

Shadowchaser A Really Great Guy

Great to see you back Jeremy! Have lost touch with you since you abandoned your blog and I had no contact information for you. Will try to catch up later on tonight as I have no time right now and lot's of changes here. TTYL my friend!

Jack

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds