annoyances.org/

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by grc123, Jan 10, 2013.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Though I haven't visited it in some "months" (?), I used to enjoy "learning :-o things" :-D at http://www.annoyances.org/ . . . but can't seem to connect now. :confused

Anyone familiar with this site/it's "existence"?

:major

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I've never heard of it, but "Annoyances.org is temporarily down for maintainance and will return shortly. " is what it says when I click on it.

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

I remember that site - seems like it was pretty useful, touching on a variety of subjects. Hope they can get it back online soon.

4. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

LauraR thanks...I'm an idiot...I got THAT tab/message (temporarily down for maintenance) mised-up with another tab/message that I had open ("Not Found" - I think it was a "404" message?).

Anyway, thanks just the same!

5. ecckles

ecckles Private E-2

Its been going for years,and definitely has it uses....when available that is

6. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I began using Annoyances.org when I was using Windows 98 and found it to be very helpful.

They have published a number of books which at one time were quite popular.

Just go to amazon.com and do a search then look at some of the book reviews.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Sadly sites do go offline and this one may have fallen foul of the owner not paying the server hosting costs to keep it going longer, I know for my site I keep getting emails to re-new the licence/hosting costs again.

8. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hi David,

Ever-trying to learn something (anything!) here, I am curious if you meant that you "keep getting emails to re-new" for a "dead" site (one which you no longer "own" or "claim"), or if you get the emails even though you are "paid-up" (per contract)?

Best,
    Glenn

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Glenn

Always good to chat and I will explain, I don't have a dead website as the update emails I get from my host kick me into paying for the hosting for the next few years, so my site is alive and well (although I moved t a new host and need to update it a lot as well as move current data from Wordpress, but if you want to view it its HERE), but if some web-owners let this lapse then the site will disappear.

It may just be the case that this one you are trying is having maintenance issues but it may not. Just keep trying it.

10. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

11. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

And you, my friend, are a true Geek...;)

12. ReBar

ReBar I can't follow the rules

annoyances is the preeminent tech site online; their sudden disappearance is what led me HERE.

i too hope this is not permanent. they've been around since win98 at least.

13. Buzin2

Buzin2 Private E-2

my favorite annoyance, is "its free" yeah until you try to run it then it cost an arm an leg
    there is several on this site also, now I need a java repair tool that really free

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds