Windows 10 Creators Update - Official Release

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stephen_c16, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

I thought I would share this video.
    s.

2. Stephen_c16

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Thanks for th nudge- I looked into it, and.......
    I have upgraded, and it is pretty good. Edge browser works far better than previous version- I get no lags, now ,and it is pretty quick.
    I don't use Cortana , but I might give it a trial on another hard drive.
    Paint 3d- had a quick look-impressed.
    Using creators version at present-

4. Stephen_c16

`I'm quite happy with it also. Did take a couple of hours to download and install. though.
    It will start being sent out automatically from tomorrow.
    s.

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I was surprised to find all the systems here were being offered version 1703, the Creators Update, on update Tuesday, 11/4/17, when usually 'Update Tuesday' doesn't happen here (UK) until Wednesday. Anyway, two systems have now updated without issues so unless Sod's Law rears its ugly head, the final update - to the other half's 10 yr old Medion, will also be problem free. I don't see what the fuss has been about, as for a major update it looks pretty minor to me.

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Stephen_c16 likes this.
  7. Earthling

Yeah, seen all that but who's got a VR headset atm? Perhaps I need to think beyond spreadsheets :p

8. EJB

EJB Corporal

Having just accepted the privacy settings ( I did change one) that seems to be an acceptance for 1703 also!!!
    As commented my PCs also installed 6 or so updates yesterday. (UK)

9. EJB

EJB Corporal

I was offered, and updated, my privacy settings and it seems that that action was an acceptance of 1703!
    I like to let my PC lead so that I can see the changes before my better half finds all the new problems for me to sort.
    Her PC is used for more serious matters than mine!
    As mentioned a few updates were installed yesterday (UK).
    Have certainly found Windows 10, and Edge (still IE 11 on the bosses), as good as any previous OS.

10. EJB

EJB Corporal

It seems that 'finger trouble' becomes more prevalent with age!!

11. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

When updating to 1703 on two systems I simply said NO to all the privacy issues it offered. I then simply re-ran the latest build of O & O Shut Up 10 it told me the changes made which allowed telemetry reporting and I simply reversed those changes and restarted the system. New update, and zero crap being leaked out to MS or anyone else.

12. Earthling

I'm still waiting for anyone to post anything at all about the improvements in 1703 and how they are affecting the way they use their computers. The 3D stuff is no doubt admirable but other than for games just who will ever use it? Same goes for VR - fascinating but of little practical application and I hooted when I saw Night Light as we've been using f.lux here for about ten years! The Edge improvements are welcome though the way it handles Favorites and the Favorites Bar still leaves a lot to be desired. I doubt Firefox users will do more than try it for an hour or two and then go back to what really works. Call me a dinosaur but Cortana for me is just something to be sure I've fully turned off and the ability to defer updates for a few weeks in versions above Home will be welcomed by many, though imo largely for no good reason. I still rely on being able to restore a recent image if updates cause problems which, so far anyway in Win 10, for me they have not.

I really like 10 but I can't see a single thing here that's even worth writing about, which may explain the absence of any posts :D

Stephen_c16 likes this.
  13. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

My "main" Win 10 Pro installations are still at 1607, 14393.1066. I'm running the Insider Preview inside VMWare and it's at 1703, 15063.138. The only "real" difference I've noticed is the revamping of Windows Defender to Windows Defender Security Center.

14. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I find it is not so buggy as previous versions- just a hiccup during first week with Edge, telling me that I should change to new version when I already had.....
    Now seems quite quick, and Firefox is actually less efficient (compared to Edge), in my estimation- but others may not see that.
    As Max says, go that way if you wish.
    I tend to allow Microsoft full access while 'running in a system ', on one hard drive , then (about 3 minutes) a few weeks later to change to the hard drive I use all the time, and use what I learn from my 'test' version, on the main hard drive, with privacy issues sorted. I suppose I could do this with VM , but never really bothered, as this way, I always have a fall back set up, in a very short time - I also do backups, but this system is my failsafe way. I have done this with Windows 8/8.1, and W7.
    I am still running my slow way to see any problem's , and allow Microsoft some help, too.

15. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

One thing it does have is a little wiggly shaped icon on the Edge top bar, you can use this to allow, or, not use allow adobe flash content.

16. EJB

EJB Corporal

All was well on the initial Windows 10 upgrade (from Windows 8.1).

With 1607 my personalised screen image was selected to slideshow all my pictures. This contained folders, folders within folders and a few loose pictures. It showed all the pictures in turn.
    It never went to the lock screen where it also showed the time.

With the new 1703 it will only show images from one selected folder or, if 'Pictures' is selected it only shows the loose pictures and none of the folders.
    It still won't go to the lock screen with the clock!

I did ask this on the MS forum after the upgrade to 1607, but apart from instructions to select the images I wanted....which I can do anyway....it didn't help.

If anybody has come across this specific problem I would appreciate guidance...otherwise I will live with the problem.

17. Gaming Insider

Gaming Insider Private First Class

I had to do a manual Windows Update for it to recognize the creators update was there, after a little while of it downloading and hanging up and downloading, it finished, restarted, applied the update, and has been running, I think, a little more fluidly since the last update. I have been experiencing fewer issues with it.

18. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Has a very good 'nudge 'feature that told me I was not getting the best out of my battery on my laptop, and shows more suggestions to help us use it a little longer before it needs charging.

Attached Files:

19. Stephen_c16

I had to reconnect my printer. Not Win 10 compatible. Windows 7 workaround. Sorted.
    s.

20. mdonah

I have to roll back to version 1607. They removed an important feature for me (because of my vision problems) — Advanced Sizing of text — from the Creator's edition. I can't make Title Bars, icons, etc. a different size or bold (without a third party app or registry hack). :(

21. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

That change is mentioned here:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/system_font_size_changer.html

22. mdonah

Not only do I change size, I also want BOLD. I'd rather not have to use a third party app.

23. Earthling

I do wonder how long it will be before a new version of Win 10 will render one of our computers here obsolete. The oldest computer we have is a 10+ year old Medion XP Media Centre which boots Win 10 in 40 seconds and runs faultlessly. I'd love to be able to say 'that will do, stop right there', but that isn't possible with Win 10, and one of these days a new version will seriously maim it and a perfectly good computer will be for the scrap heap.

24. mdonah

In the not-too-distant future, Win 10 won't run on anything not specifically designed for Windows 10 — Kernel Mode drivers (not WHQL) will be required on ALL machines. There's going to be a ton of "perfectly good" computers used as paper weights.

25. Earthling

Thanks mdonah for that depressing thought to go to bed on :(

26. Stephen_c16

Oh dear... My desktop machine is around ten years old. It was designed for XP but did run Vista.
    s.

27. mdonah

@ Earthling,

Sorry about that but, I read about the Kernel Mode drivers not too long ago.

@ Stephen_c16,

Windows Vista was "killed" on April 11th, 2017. Is that 10 yr old computer currently running Windows 10?

28. Stephen_c16

Yes and loving it. It is happy with the creators update, also. s.
    It runs on a mbr ssd disk although I was thinking about seeing if it would work quicker using a GPT disk. This is the motherboard.

29. srxfanbz

srxfanbz Private E-2

Stephen_c16 likes this.
  30. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

That's because, as Microsoft announced, the conventional update path would take 3 months from April 2017 to cover all Win 10 systems. The manual path was available from the start.

Stephen_c16 likes this.
  31. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

GPT is quicker, but as your motherboard is quite old, it may not show much difference. Also, to convert to GPT , as I understand it, you would have to re-install, and assuming the motherboard also has UEIF based bios firmware

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds