Pin To Start Menu Does Not Work For 'standard User' Account

Discussion in 'Software' started by GoshenGeek, May 15, 2017.

1. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I cannot successfully execute 'pin to start menu' in the standard user account on my laptop. Here is what I do:
    - Navigate to folder containing the program of interest
    - Right click on executable and select 'pin to start menu'
    - Click on start button
    - However the pinned shortcut does not show in the start menu items

If I go back to the folder containing the program of interest and right click on the executable, the 'pin to start menu' still shows in the menu so clearly the above did not work.

Why doesn't this work? What can I do to fix this? Do you need any other information?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Do this instead. Find the program in the start menu under All Programs. Open the folder and right click the program name there and select pin to start menu.

3. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

Unfortunately this did not work. I did as you selected but the icon for the program never showed up when I clicked on the start button. I went back to All Programs, right click, and saw 'unpin from start menu'. So the system thought that the program was pinned but the icon never showed. I tried rebooting. No difference. I went to the laptop's Administrator account thinking that the program showed up in that user account, but it did not.

Any other thoughts? Perhaps there is something in the registry I should attack?

Thank you for the help.

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

5. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

MaxTurner -- Thanks for the info. I already ran SFC and no integrity problems were found.

Any other suggestions?

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Sadly, aside from saving personal data and doing a clean download and reinstall of Windows 7, I have no other suggestions. A reinstall from a fresh windows 7 download is less hassle than a factory restore.

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

If you log off and on again, or restart then it should work

8. Earthling

Just spotted this - sorry

9. plodr

perhaps that is what is limiting what you can do.

I only have 1 account on each computer in the house and below the username, it says Administrator. (This is not a full administrator account).
    What word is below your username?

10. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

This is no fix but a workaround. Create a shortcut to the program and move it here.
    C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu
    You'll have to restart Windows Explorer.

11. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

The shortcut I want IS located in the above folder. BUT when I click on the Start button, the shortcut does not show up in the list for the Standard User. Note that the shortcut DOES show up in the list for an Administrator user. Really weird, huh?

12. plodr

A standard user is prevented from making lots of changes. That's why I asked my question in post #9 about what shows under your username. You never answered my question but found by process of elimination how a standard user account is different from an administrator's account. It is not weird. That's how it was designed.

Don't waste your time trying to do the impossible.

13. Earthling

From #3
    and from #11
    These two statements contradict each other.

Eldon likes this.
  14. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

You are correct - they do contradict!! Ya know, for as long as I have been using windows, there are times when it drives me crazy. Anyway, thanks for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds