Backup Software

Discussion in 'Software' started by lmhjcr, Nov 22, 2015.

1. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

I have been using Acronis True Image Home for quite a few years now to create my complete computer backups and their software is great and has gotten me up and running after having to replace a hard drive on a couple of different occasions over the years.

I was just wondering if there is anything that is comparable to the Acronis True Image Software for creating full disk image backups so that if a hard drive suddenly fails it would be easy to be up and running just as easily as with the Acronis software.

I do know that there is an Acronis True Image Western Digital Software Program as well as Seagate Edition Software, but I am not sure if they are just as good or if there is something else that I could recommend to someone who is living on a really tight budget and really can't afford to spend much money.

She finally got a WD MY Passport external hard drive to create backups and it did come with some software installed on it, but from what she was telling me, I have the feeling it is just backing up all of her stuff to the external and not creating an image in case she has a hard drive failure.

Any suggestions would be so very much appreciated.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. Booboo58

Booboo58 Private E-2

Hi Eldon, your link takes me to Avangate

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

The link takes you to Paragon. See screenshot.

Attached Files:

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

There are a number of free alternatives to Acronis, and all work well. My preference is for Macrium Reflect

6. Booboo58

Booboo58 Private E-2

Well Eldon, If I click directly on the link provided in your post in either Firefox 23 (I prefer this older version) or IE 11 it takes me to Avangate, however if I cut & paste the link into my browser window then I get to the Paragon window. Go figure, anyway it works for me. Thanks. I prefer Macrium as well.

7. AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe Private E-2

Look at easeus backup, offers lots of value to who don't want to spend money on a paid program. I'm using their free version.

8. lmhjcr

lmhjcr Sergeant

Thanks for the suggestions. A friend has a unit without an cd/dvd drive so needs software that can be downloaded and they are also living on a very tight budget. I will look into these and let them know. I greatly appreciate all of the input :)

9. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Macrium Reflect can create a bootable rescue thumb drive so that gets around having no optical drive, but where would your friend expect to store the image file? It isn't practical to store such a large file in the cloud so they need a USB drive or, at a pinch, several DVDs and an external optical drive. USB drives are not expensive but really are a necessity for anyone wanting to do system images.

I gave the Macrium link earlier.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds