The Official New Forum Suggestions And Questions Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Major Attitude, Nov 16, 2015.

?

How do you like the new forum software so far?

Poll closed Dec 16, 2015.
  1. Love it

78.6%
  2. Hate it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Undecided

25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Welcome to our new forum software powered by XenForo. While it is similar to the old VBulletin, some things have changed and work differently. Some things were lost like "Thanks" and some Avatars. This thread exists to answer any of your questions or let you make suggestions.

Please keep this thread to questions or suggestions only to keep it simple. Once your question has been answered, your post will be deleted and answered above.

If you have questions about using the new forum, please see this thread: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/major-geeks-general-how-to-new-forums.295862/

Q: What happened to my avatar, likes, status, thread subscriptions, posts, emoticons or anything else that's missing?
    A: Yeah... they're gone. Sorry. As we said, no way everything will import correctly. :( Some of the above mentioned may be repaired, restored like emoticons once we've all adjusted.

Q: What happened to my favorite addon?
    A: They're gone. Odds are we won't be doing any addons as they tend to be a big security risk. Like above, this are might explain why a certain feature or function is now gone.

Q: I'm getting an error message: "You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly. You should upgrade or use an alternative browser."
    A: The message should only appear on IE7 or lower. Perhaps you have enabled the compatibity view?
    http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-enable-compatibility-view-in-internet-explorer-11-ie11/

Q: Is there a way to collapse sections that I don't look at?
    A: Not collapse, but if you go to each of the forums you do look at. Click on "watch" in the upper right for every one of them. Now click "watched forums" on the left side in the green bar up top.

Q: I liked the other color scheme better.
    A: This is actually pretty close. the other was a bit darker. At this point in time we've played with it some but it's not a priority and really very few complaints so expect it to stay like this.

Q: Will we still have "Thanked" posts? Or will it be the "Like" system?
    A: Like is the new Thanks.

Q: Does XenForo allow skins? That'd be an easy way to appease those who dislike the light background.
    A: It does, as do most but it's a lot of work. Next thing you know, we're making a skin for everybody. It's easy to read and people will have to adjust. It's literally almost the same as before :) As mentioned above, this one isn't over. We're listening :)

Q: What happened to user title?
    A: This forums uses Trophies and by default awarded titles based on those Trophies. As of today, we have restored member titles based on messages posted exactly like before minus one ranking I didn't like. See the attached image for the rankings.

Q: My hyperlinking extends past the word or phrase that I want.
    A: The best way to keep that from happening is to completely finish your sentence before inserting your link. Once you have completed your sentence, you can highlight where you would like to insert your hyperlink. If you would like it to stand out better, you can also underline it first.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2015
    DavidGP, katkat, Kestrel13! and 3 others like this.
  2. Major Attitude

3. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Noticed that when I reply to a post, it vanishes from the "New Posts" page, but is still viewable in the right column on the main Support Forum page. Also, regarding the post "How to clean house", the timestamp for the post on the "New Posts" page is 5:06, and on the main support page in the right column the timestamp is 5:23.

4. Major Attitude

You posted it, so obviously you read it, so yeah, it's read. Sidebar is last 5 regardless. they are separate from each other in that way :)

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

It's not actually an issue. You have to completely write your sentence and then insert your link by highlighting the word/phrase. Your link will then appear where you want it. If you do it in the middle (get to the word/phrase), insert your link and then continue to write, it continues with the formatting.

It's the same with all the coding here. You can test it by using the Bold.

I also fixed your link.

Earthling likes this.
  7. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

I would like to see the day's birthdays returned sometime but no stress as there are a lot more important things to do first.
    BTW Great effort on the successful changeover and although it is early days, one thing I can say is that there is quite a speed improvement for me when I reload pages or do forum searches.
    Good one :highfive

8. LauraR

I was actually going to PM this to you :)....If you click on the Members Tab up on the top left, you'll see the birthdays on the right panel: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?members/

joffa likes this.
  9. joffa

Hey Laura, you are a champion.
    Thanks for this it is much appreciated :highfive

10. Bob D.

Bob D. Majorgeeks official old fart

The new look is a lot easier to read.
    I do not hate the look.
    I do not really like the look,,, yet,,, ( remember I'm an old fart. We take longer to get used to change.)

11. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Just thought I would say, I cannot see the birthdays.

12. LauraR

Well, me either right now. I have to think between last night and this morning, there just aren't any birthdays? I hope that's the case. Otherwise it's a mystery. :D

Kestrel13! likes this.
  13. joffa

I think the birthdays only show if there are birthdays on that day as I can't see them now either and a search for past birthday posts don't show any dated as either the 25th or the 26th of November. I checked for both dates because of the International Dateline :D

Kestrel13! likes this.
  14. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I and I know a few others would love a PC specs section in the Member user data, kinda think if you hover over a member name an option to view PC specs could be a great option as we always state "what windows version and what pc specs you have"

the mekanic likes this.
  15. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Maybe I am alone, but the always on top add bar hides the "mark forums read" dialogue box.

16. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Personally, I find the hyperlinks hard to spot in the new forum. they are obvious when hovering the mouse cursor over them, but until I do, they blend perfectly into the text around them.

Eldon, LauraR and Sgt. Tibbs like this.
  17. LauraR

Going forward, links and hyperlinks should now be underlined.:) Philipp was able to change it.

DavidGP, Sgt. Tibbs and Mimsy like this.
  18. Mimsy

19. Earthling

The members online now panel atm shows Members 11, Guests 609, and Robots 152. What the heck are Robots?

avondude likes this.
  20. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

avondude likes this.
  21. Earthling

Yeah, thinking about it I had decided it must be computers programmed to monitor thread content here, looking for content relevant to their owners' interests. We don't need them here I'm sure - do we even want them?

22. Eldon

I'm not sure if this is good or bad.
    Hopefully another staff member can enlighten us.

23. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

Robots, in this case, are spiders. For example Google will spider the site for the search index. Some will send multiple spiders. So nothing to worry about - that is unless you see something for The Skynet Global Defense Network -- then we're screwed.

Caliban, DavidGP, Eldon and 3 others like this.
  24. DavidGP

Robots generally are search engines

25. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

I did some searching with Google for Christmas gifts today and when I came here to MG the things I searched for are what is showing up in the Ads here. I don't think that happen before the Robots at least I never noticed it happening here before. It happens on Facebook all the time.

26. DavidGP

Thing these days is the search robots or more used to be called spiders, are everywhere, one place you will notice them a lot is if you use online email like Gmail, Yahoo or Outlook (microsoft mail) is that if you login online you will see adverts to the side of your email, that suspiciously touts products that could be a key word from your email.

27. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I just noticed there is no delineation between posts and signatures any more (the font and size is marginally different, but not enough on many of them), making it look like some folks are posting links when those links are really in their signatures. If that's clear as mud, I'll use Eldon as an example because his is where I've noticed it most. He's got a link to the MG forums in his signature, but on every post he makes it looks like he's posting the link. Like in this post, where the member he was helping thought the link was further explanation:
    Missing Members

I'm not picking on Eldon! ;) I'm just thinking maybe a line or something setting signatures apart. Isn't that how it used to be?

28. Eldon

And you better not pick on me! o_O

Strangely enough, I don't see what you are seeing. :confused:
    I have removed the link to MajorGeeks and will talk to Laura.

Thanks Sgt. Tibbs for pointing that out.

FYI You should look at your settings. Anybody can Share your profile on Facebook.
    Beth.jpg

29. LauraR

haha....I have to say I did the same thing with Eldon's sig. (Where's that LOL emote from the other board when you need it?)

My suggestion would be to make your sig start with a line and then putting it under it. I'd also hyperlink it, underline it, and change the font color. I just did the line for mine and it looks like it worked.

30. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

That would work, too! And I'm so glad it wasn't just me. :D

Meh...Anything on there I'm good with whatever. If people are that curious about me, more power to them. ;) Thanks, though!

31. Mimsy

I'm not good with that at all! How do I turn this off?

32. LauraR

Scroll your mouse over your username and go to Privacy. Make sure all your Personal Details are set to 'Members Only'.

Mimsy likes this.
  33. Mimsy

Turns out I had already done that. Thanks Laura!

34. Eldon

Your profile page can also be shared on Twitter and Google+.

35. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Yup...although I don't do Twitter, I do purposely keep my Facebook and Google+ profiles slightly open since it does something with Google Adsense on the site I write for. Seriously, if somebody wants to know anything I keep public, they're more than welcome to it.

36. Anon-9aee479f8f

Maybe you could put the "sticky" back in the Lounge that explained what the Lounge is for and what should not be posted there since there was some discussion about that in there recently. Ignore this if it is still posted somewhere but I have not seen it since the new forum format.

37. Eldon

Yes, I noticed that sticky disappeared. Hopefully one of the administrators can post another similar one.

38. LauraR

Which sticky were you talking about, kat? I would imagine Major Attitude usticky'ed anything that had been for a while?

39. Eldon

It was something like "Forum rules especially for The Lounge". This happened after a particular nasty incident.

LauraR likes this.
  40. Mimsy

I think I know which one you're talking about. It's the sticky that talked about how HBT topics aren't welcome and why. Right?

41. Anon-9aee479f8f

Yes!

42. LauraR

Ah, yep... I remember it. That was put up as a reaction to the severe issues we were having at the time when we had a group of people who liked to get into those discussions and couldn't let go or be nice or respectful with each other. I think they have all been banned (or left). Most of it was common sense. I think it was probably Major Attitude who took it down. Sticky'd threads have a tendency to become 'invisible' once they've been up for a while.

If things become contentious again, I would imagine another will go up, but hopefully we won't have the problem again.

I can't say I've seen anything out of the ordinary that requires another rules thread, but I can't say I look through 100% of the threads.

My view is you deal with threads on an individual basis and treat people as adults. If people have issues with posts or threads, they should really be using the report button. I think that may be one of the issues with this new forum. I haven't seen the report button being used much at all...even for spam. I'm wondering if it's not as easily seen or something.

43. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hey Jim, any chance you could upload an awesome favicon?

44. Mimsy

I wanted to report a spam post the other day, and had a very hard time finding the report button. The only reason I kept searching was because I knew it was there somewhere.

I would not mind having it be more obvious, and easier to locate.

LauraR likes this.
  45. LauraR

That's sort of what I was afraid of, Mimsy. We just don't seem to be getting reported posts like we used to and I've found obvious spam posts that would have been reported before. I don't have any idea how the button would be made easier to locate. I may see if someone can look into making them actual buttons that are outlined like the 'Post Reply', 'Upload a File', etc.

Mimsy and Eldon like this.
  46. Mimsy

Or make it a symbol instead of a word? That would also make it stand out, and a couple of other forums I post in have gone that route so I doubt I'm the only one who'd find that familiar.

(They both use a triangle with an exclamation mark inside, the universal symbol for "alert!".)

47. Mimsy

Whoever said the new software is easier on mobile than the old was, wasn't kidding. It's night and day, and lightyears better!

48. Eldon

Maybe something like this?
    With a balloon tip.
    Report.jpg

49. LauraR

Well, it doesn't seem that there is any likelihood of the Report button changing, sadly. :( Hopefully people will start to find it readily.

50. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I was pleased to see a Report link in a Profile page when I happened to checkout a new member yesterday, if it works, it will be easier to report any Home page/Profile spam ;)

Mimsy and LauraR like this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds