MBAM Updates: Available Everyday?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Chim, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Chim

Chim Private First Class

I have MBAM 2.2.0.1024 Free.

Are Definitions Updates available everyday? If so, can they be downloaded everyday? If so, does this apply regardless of whether you have the Paid or Free version?

Ever since the MBAM 1.75 era ended, my being able to download Definitions Updates has been very sporadic. The process goes through the motions like it's downloading them. However, once the process is finished, the Virus Definitions status will still be the OLD ones.

With MBAM 1.75 I used to be able to download Definitions Updates any and everyday that I chose to do so. After that version, once the new breed of MBAM came onto the scene, more often than not, I've encountered Definitions Updates mirage after mirage ... aka FAILURES. Today was another one of those failures. I'm still stuck at the September 22nd Definitions. :crap :mad :guns

What's going on? What am I supposed to do to get the MBAM Definitions Updates to download and install any and everyday that I choose? Or does MBAM now only put out Definitions Updates periodically every 3 weeks or so?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Yes. It might even be hourly.
    I assume Yes. I am running 5 paid versions so I have no experience with the free version.
    Yes.

Grab the November 5th database at MajorGeeks.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/malwarebytes_anti_malware_database.html
    Note the size of 16.8MB so you need a broadband connection. If you are on dialup or a very slow connection, I suspect it will fail.

3. Chim

Chim Private First Class

Okay ... I downloaded the MBAM Rules database from MajorGeeks during the weekend. To where exactly am I supposed to extract that Zip file? I've tried 2 different places and MBAM still indicates it has the original 09-22 definitions.

4. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

I would have downloaded mbam-rules-2015.1105.zip to my Downloads folder and extracted the contents into a new folder of the same name.
    • Open that folder - then open the "2015-11-05" folder
    • Hi-lite the mbam-rules.exe file > right-click and "Run as Administrator"
    • Follow the instructions given by the Rules Setup Wizard
    • Re-boot the pc

Chim likes this.
  5. Chim

Chim Private First Class

Woo Hoo! Success! Yahoo! That did it. That was the ticket.
    Thanks a bunch, Dr. Moriarty. :)

The funny thing is that I actually recall that I've actually done this successfully sometime in the past, months ago or maybe last year once or twice. But, since this was definitely not the usual way in which I updated my MBAM definitions, I just plain ole totally forgot how to do this. I kept thinking that I was supposed to just extract those MBAM Rules and MBAM Rules 2 files into one of the existing MBAM Folders and MBAM would start using the info from there. This time around it just didn't occur to me that I actually had to execute those 2 files. Doh! :D

Okay ... got it now. Thanks again, Dr.

6. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

;)

You're welcome!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds