Need Some Help With This Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Amy28, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Amy28

Amy28 Private E-2

I have a Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5983 laptop of my brothers that stopped working on him, so I took a look at it sence I know about computers and he dont.

The problem its haveing is that the whole time he had it. At night before bed he would just close the lid and in the morning and it would be on the same screen he was looking at the previous night. So one morning after waking up he went to lift the lid and all he got was a black screen. There are two green lcd lights that light up in the front below the spacebar. I can hear the fan kick on and possible the hard drive. But there are no lights on the keyboard for like the Num Lock and the Cap Lock. I have a Toshiba Satellite L655-S5096 which i needed a DVD Drive so I swaped my brothers out with myne. And now when I start up my brothers laptop the dvd drive opens. I have already tryed taking the memory out and checking each by them selves. Tryed with taking out the hard drive out and starting it and then turning it off and putting the hard drive back infrom his laptop and restarting with no luck. Also took battery out and unpluged it and held down the power button for a minute and tryed starting it with just the battery and just the power cord and both and still so action. I tryed hooking a HDMI from the laptop to the tv with no luck and i even tryed using a old monitor and connected the VGA end to the laptop and before turning on the laptop the monitor had a green light on and when i turned on the laptop while it connected to the monitor the green light went to a yellow light. I also help a light in front of the monitor screen to see if anything shows up like it shows to do online...

Thats about it on what I tryed. Any suggestions would be very much helpful on helping to troubleshoot this more to see if its worth keeping or is the motherboard fried..

Thanks, Rob

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

This is a really old laptop, and it does sound like the integrated graphics have gone to the great silicon graveyard in the sky.

You have taken most of the steps I would, and as far as the external display are there function keys to toggle it on/off? I'll wager you have not accessed the BIOS.

Have you tried booting from a CD or DVD-ROM like the Ultimate Boot CD?

3. Amy28

Amy28 Private E-2

I have tried booting from the Ultimate Boot CD. Just a black screen..

4. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

The only thing left to really do is pull the CMOS battery and hard reset the BIOS, which can be difficult on some laptops. However, as I said this laptop is at quite an advanced age.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds