Ocr Program Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skullduggery's Dupe, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Skullduggery's Dupe

Skullduggery's Dupe Master Sergeant

Can anybody recommend a good Optical Character Recognition program I can download for free, and from someplace reputable and safe? If it could handle handwriting and/or cursive fonts, so much the better, but that's probably too much to ask for from a free program. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. Skullduggery's Dupe

Skullduggery's Dupe Master Sergeant

A while back I tried FreeOCR, as well as SimpleOCR. As I recall, I wasn't really happy with either of them, but I don't remember if that was because they couldn't handle handwriting, or just because I was disappointed with their performance in general. I think I also tried OpenOCR, but if I did, I didn't write down that I liked its performance.

I downloaded PDF-XChange Viewer 2.5.315.0 from MajorGeeks, and I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the tip.

DavidGP likes this.
  4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

skulldugerys_dupe,
    Thank you.
    It's always appreciated when a member has done their homework prior to posting. And you have. :)
    I was impressed with PDF-XChange Viewer as it can also OCR PDF documents that are actually images. And it's the better PDF reader.

DavidGP likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds