Computer Needs Major Work...can Anyone Recommend Anyone In Pittsburgh?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fizkowie, Nov 27, 2015.

1. fizkowie

fizkowie Private First Class

Was wondering if anyone from this group was from Pittsburgh and could recommend someone local to fix my sons computer? Thanks!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Without a reply for local PC repairers then what is the issue with your sons PC as never know we maybe able to fix a software issue online, a hardware issue is more difficult., BUT what is the issue you're having?

3. fizkowie

Hi Dave, thanks for replying. The computer is a HP 2000 which he uses mainly for skype and some internet. The other day when he turned it on, it displayed a message that it was "Diagnosing" and then "Attempting Repairs". The final message is that "Automatic Repair couldn't repair your PC" and then gives options for "Advanced options" which just start trying automatic repair process all over again. Thanks.

4. fizkowie

Maybe I should add that I can't do anything else with the computer at this point b/c there isn't any way to get around these messages so if anyone knows how to help, please let me know.

5. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Try this
    Source: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...uck-in-infinite-loop-please-help/td-p/3211263

at the very least, it will tell you if the computer's hard drive is the problem.

If it is the hard drive, that would need replacing. Did you get/make any restore/recovery DVDs for the HP 2000?

7. fizkowie

Hi,

Have not made any restore/recovery DVD's...will try your suggestion & let you know what I find out - thanks!

8. fizkowie

Hi,

So, yeah, I ran the diagnostics (System Extensive Test) and only about a minute in - it displayed "Processor Check - Passed"; "Hard Drive SMART Check - Passed" and "Hard Drive Short DST Check: FAILED" and below "System Extensive Test: Failed"
    The Failure ID: PLKVU4-6T77SJ-M5GJSF-60UQ03
    The Product ID is: E0M11UA#ABA

Anything I can do from my end or definitely need a techie?

9. plodr

The Hard drive short DST (Disk Self Test) Check failure means the hard drive needs replacing.

If you haven't made any restore/recovery disks, then you'll need someone to put in a new hard drive and install the Windows OS on the new drive.

Another option, since installing a hard drive and an OS might cost more than the computer is worth, is to buy another HP 2000 to replace the ailing one.
    http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/hp-2000-laptops

10. fizkowie

Well, the computer is literally just one year old - bought last year at the Walmart Thanksgiving sale but is most likely out of warranty (by a few days)...I should try calling HP anyway...hopefully can find the phonenumer on the net. Thanks for your help.

11. plodr

Perhaps HP, at the very least, will send you a restore/recovery that can be used when the hard drive is replaced.
    If they do, you might be able to replace the hard drive yourself and save the cost of taking it somewhere to be fixed.

12. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

If worse comes to worst, you can obtain a copy of Windows 8.1 from Microsoft here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

The license key is stored in the BIOS much like the old SLP keys were with XP and the disc should be able to "see" your PC's license key. If you have a version of Windows 7, those images are no longer available from Digital River. However, I do have the image files stored on one of my hard drives and have been known to send out DVDs...

13. fizkowie

Thanks - getting a bit complicated for someone who's "just a user" :). Do you know if any of the members in the US do computer repair? We could ship the notebook to them and then pay them via paypal before they ship it back....in my mind, just a reliable if not more so that Best Buy's "Geek Squad" (Ugg).

14. plodr

There has to be some reliable Mom and Pop computer shop in the Pittsburgh area. I live in the eastern part of PA and there are a few local shops that are good. Ask around.
    I took my computer to a local shop to have the power supply tested and a new one installed if that was the issue. They did a fine job testing and determining the power supply needed replacing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds