Win 10 Updates/upgrades

Discussion in 'Software' started by Earthling, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

My Laptop first tried to upgrade Win 10 Pro build 10240 to build 10586 on Nov 15 and failed. It tried again today and failed again. Users have no control over this process other than the option to defer upgrades but as Win 10 has performed well for me so far I'm a bit reluctant to do that. What build are others here on?

(Type winver into Search to get your current build number)

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Earthling:

I got some info from ZDNet a couple of days ago thru an e-mail update that I subscribed to many moons ago. MS pulled 10586 for reasons I haven't been able to determine yet. Here are some links:

http://www.windowscentral.com/windo...ool-no-longer-has-build-10586-november-update

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-yanks-latest-windows-10-release-from-its-download-server/

Not using Win10, but the story was interesting. I wonder why the secretive and silent pull. Also, MS pulled the .iso installation for 10586. Not sure what is going on here...

3. Earthling

Yeah, I had read about 10586 being pulled as it was resetting your Privacy settings but it was reissued on Nov 12. I left the laptop on overnight with orders not to sleep and this morning version 1511 build 10586 has installed. It told me it had removed Speccy - incompatible - but didn't tell me it had also removed CCleaner though that's no problem as I mainly use WiseCare 365 now and that's still there. Wonder what else I shall find has gone AWOL, though my beloved Lotus 1-2-3, written for Windows 98, is still there and working normally as it has done through every Windows version since. Still beats Excel imo. If I find any more quirks I'll post them here.

4. Earthling

Treesize Free has also been removed - that's three of my most used utilities taken out, Treesize, CCleaner and Speccy. ATM I'm pleased I set this laptop up with 8.1 and 10 in dual boot as I can see 8.1 being used rather more for a while.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I'm on 1511 and this is with a test PC which is on fast ring beta still and my main two PCs in a desktop and Surface tablet that are not on betas, both updated ok. Did notice on my desktop today that CCleaner was removed! I did hear that Windows updates could remove apps, thought that was Store apps over desktop apps. I sort of like the fact that Windows could remove incompatible or security holed apps but it needs to tell me first, before removing.

If Windows updates in the future are to remove apps without alerting the user this is disconcerting to say the least, as HOW does windows and Microsoft know that an app is not what the user wants, security issues aside??

6. Earthling

Well, v1511 has shown that they can and they do, so although 10 seems to be working very well for me there isn't any way I'm going to put myself in the position of being completely reliant on it. I will maintain my 8.1/10 dual boot on this laptop and, for the time being at least, maintain 7 on my 'main' PC which is primarily used as a file server for the laptops.

7. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

I was thinking of portable apps as a way to keep the programs around perhaps, but I guess the problem is that the programs no longer function correctly and could break something due to update changes. Does sound disconcerting MS making the kinds of changes that require programs to be removed while working on one single version of the OS. IDK. I don't overall like where MS has gone since Windows 7, which I do like very much... :(

Just seems like the updates will roll in fast in such a manner that it will be difficult to become comfortable with any particular stetup...

8. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

9. Earthling

Yeah, seems it's something up with which Win 10 users are going to have to put ;-) Interesting that they are saying AMD Catalyst Control Centre gets removed - mine hasn't been. Win 10 isn't my mission critical system so I'm content to go along for the time being with having less control and so far, in daily use, I haven't had any issues and have found it to be very fast and stable, nice to use. Need to remember too that Win 10 means you will never have to shell out for a new version again. Those who are not happy about the new approach from Microsoft have more choice of alternatives than ever before, so it will be interesting to see whether the challengers can make any progress in the next year or two.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds