Cyberghost 5.5 Security Alert

Discussion in 'Software' started by bill baxter, Nov 27, 2015.

1. bill baxter

bill baxter Private E-2

I find I am unable to use Cyberghost 5.5 because every time I run it I get a Security Alert message "the identity of this website or the integrity of this connection cannot be verified" highlighting "The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site". I have tried running it with admin privileges, no firewall and no virus checker but it makes no difference. The pop up still appears. If I click to come out the message disappears only to resurface seconds later. Clicking "yes" to continue makes no difference either - the message reappears. Because I am using the free version, there is no support and I can find nothing on their site or in the FAQ section which dealing with anything like this. Most of what was on the net related to Microsoft and Outlook problems related to this.

I would be grateful if anyone can suggest anything to resolve this. I considered "installing" the certificate but I held off as I did not know enough to be able to decide how risky that was. I am running Vista home premium. I had no problem until I upgraded to version 5.5 and was faced with this situation. Thinking I'd be ok if I reverted to the previous version I was using, I did so only to find I was now unable to use it either beause of the same security alert message popping up. For what it's worth I am running Vista Home Premium.

Bill

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. bill baxter

bill baxter Private E-2

Hi David,
    Just using CCleaner, Windows own Firewall and AVG. Had already tried your suggestion but gave it another whirl with the same result. I am inclined to think it might be something to do with the recent change in registration. You'll probably be aware that as of 1 nov certificate authorities stopped accepting registered names such as "server.domain.local" and now require registration re-issues to something like "server.mydomain.com" or ".net" instead. Cyberghost has such a host of servers that it would be easy for an error to creep in. My only reservation about my supposition is that I can't find any trace of anyone else having this problem! Mind you having Vista Home Premium doesn't help either and it could be version 5.5 has a problem with Vista somewhere. Unfortunately I don't want to rollback as I would loose some irreplaceable stuff including giveaways. I guess I'll just have to uninstall Cyberghost and go back to Steganus again. I don't think there is any link but I did have a problem 2 versions before 5.5. It just inexpliceably stopped working and only started again when it was updated. I may just have to wait until then again.

Many thanks for your input anyway

Bill

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds