This Holiday Season What Are You Having For Dinner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Anon-9aee479f8f, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

American Thanksgiving Day is upon us and then comes Christmas and New Years, or the Holiday you and your family celebrate, so was wondering what are your favorite foods for the Holidays. If you have a special recipe would you please share it?

Thanksgiving Menu is big because there are so many family favorites.
    Turkey & Cornbread Dressing & Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Baby Lima Beans, Green Beans, Corn, Broccoli Casserole, Macaroni & Cheese, Lettuce Salad, A Sweet Salad, and Yeast Rolls. For Dessert there is Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Pie, Cheese Cake, and Whipped Cream.

With the turkey leftovers or rotisserie chicken I like to make a Turkey or Chicken Rice Casserole for another day. It can be frozen for a later date.
    Cooked Turkey or Chicken, 2 Cups Cooked Rice, 1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup, 8 oz. Carton Sour Cream, 1 Cup Milk, 1 Pkgs of Ritz Crackers, 1 Stick Butter.
    Place rice in greased 9X13 inch baking dish or two smaller dishes. Put cooked turkey or chicken on top of rice. Mix soup, milk, and sour cream together and spread over turkey. Crush crackers over soup mixture. Melt butter and pour over crackers. Bake 350 oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until crackers are golden brown.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I don't know what we will do this Thanksgiving as there is only the two of us. Any suggestions?

3. Anon-9aee479f8f

It is hard to cook traditional Thanksgiving for just two if you are not big on leftovers. Maybe go out to eat or invite yourself to someone else's house for dinner. lol
    Maybe cook just a turkey breast and a few things to go with it.

TimW likes this.
  4. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I've been doing Thanksgiving for two for a while, plus it has to be low-carb. Usually that's when I splurge on something we normally can't afford, like good salmon or Cornish hens or high quality steaks. And of course there are leftovers, but I try to make things that can freeze so we can have another Thanksgiving dinner later in the winter without the effort. One year I did just a turkey breast with traditional sides, but it wasn't the same as doing a whole turkey. Every couple of years one of my sisters invites us over for the full-on Thanksgiving feast, so that usually curbs the cravings for a while./

I was just sitting down to figure out what I'm doing this year when I decided to take a break and came across this thread. :) This year I'm doing a crock pot balsamic beef roast with carrots, spinach and mushroom casserole, and creamy Brussels sprouts. I'll also heat up some red cabbage, and probably also bake a tube of biscuits. And I've got some berry tarts from Omaha Steaks in the freezer for dessert. Depending on how much my grocery bill ends up being, I may also do my grandma's version of tossed salad, but it's pretty vegetable heavy and none of them are on sale.

Christmas dinners (I have several) are still being decided, although I've nailed down my holiday baking for the year.

5. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

For Christmas day I get a fresh killed 6.5kg turkey buffet (just breast and wings) delivered the day before and then I get up at 6am on Christmas day and start making the stuffing then I start rubbing the turkey with oil infused with Cointreau and herbs then afterwards I wrap and seal everything up in aluminium foil in a great big baking dish. Meanwhile my wife peels the vegetables and starts to set the table. At about 8am I start cooking the turkey under the hood on the BBQ. At noon the vegies go in as the families start arriving and then after some drinks and nibblies, we start eating at about 1:30pm.
    My mum makes a traditional plum pudding from her great grandmother's recipe which we then have for desert with brandy custard.
    By 4pm we have eaten and drank enough so we sit out on the deck like beached whales LOL

6. joffa

Hey Tim, one of my friends really likes turkey but his wife isn't keen so his solution is get a couple of turkey drumsticks and bake them in the oven when they are having a a roast chicken. He roasts the drumsticks in a separate baking dish so he can make himself turkey gravy. His wife has some of the roast chicken and he has the roasted drumsticks. The next day they have the rest of the roast chicken cold with salad or they make chicken and avocado sandwiches.
    Maybe you could get a couple of drumsticks each and roast them up. Then you don't have to miss out on roast turkey and you are not stuck with turkey leftovers for the next week. Make sure they are covered for most of the time when roasting because then they won't dry out and become tough. Also if you get big drumsticks there is a much better meat to bone ratio so the meat is usually more succulent.

TimW likes this.
  7. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Yummm...this is all making me hungry.

I was just saying to a friend that I need to sit down tomorrow and get myself organized. I have my 22 lb turkey ordered that I'll cook that day.

I'm really excited about the dessert I ordered from this awesome bakery. Her specialty are Sweet Potato cakes, so I ordered a Sweet Potato Pie from her (plus a more traditional deep dish apple).

I will make some mashed potatoes, my dad will make the stuffing and some creamed corn. My mom and sis are going to make a mushroom casserole.

I am most certain there will be a few other things that are green, but I haven't gotten there yet.

For anyone who still stuffs their turkey and can't imagine having stuffing outside of it, I would highly suggest you try this method. Make whatever stuffing you normally make and love and stuff the bird with, put it in a 13x9 in casserole dish, buy Turkey wings, brown the wings in a pan (they just need to be browned, not cooked), place the wings in a layer on top of the stuffing and bake the stuffing. All the juices from the wings drip into the stuffing. You won't be able to tell the difference. :)

8. Maine

Maine Private E-2

I have solved the Thanksgiving for One syndrome by accepting invitations from friends. Used to decline because I didn't want to interfere with their family traditions but now I'm like 'Where's the food!' Nice to have friends who treat you like family.

Kestrel13! and Mimsy like this.
  9. LauraR

That is what Thanksgiving and holidays are for...sharing. I bet your friends are happy to have you. :)

Maine likes this.
  10. crookedbandit

crookedbandit Sergeant

ok, u gotta think outside the box..........bbq ribs,baked beans,tater salad,roasted corn,salad,an a big ole glass of sweet tea ! (an pass the remote ! ):D

11. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Often it's just my wife and me since my family is in NY. We usually get the traditional stuff at a local place that has it ready to heat up, all prepared but in light quantities. Since we TRY to watch what we eat, we don't overindulge because someone said we should :)

Cancel that, i'll be at crookedbandits house.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  12. joffa

Hey Laura, this sounds a very interesting idea :) I might give it a go on Christmas day.....
    Because we only ever have turkey buffets (much easier to carve and only breast meat) there is no enclosed cavity to stuff. To overcome this I make a big batch of stuffing and use half in the remaining cavity which I then cover with 4 layers of aluminium foil held on with lots of toothpicks. Because the buffet sits on the remains of the cavity you need to bake it in a raised bottom roasting dish so it doesn't absorb all the turkey fat.
    The other half of the stuffing gets cooked later and I put it in a foil lined loaf style cake tin. Just before the potatoes go in I spoon over the uncooked stuffing, two or three tablespoons of the turkey juice from the baking dish then seal it with aluminium foil and bake for the same time as the potatoes. Don't be tempted to put more turkey juice in as it becomes a soggy mess (lesson learned several years ago)
    To serve just cut the loaf into slices. It comes out slightly crisp on top and moist the rest of the way through and tastes yum and is really nice in turkey sandwiches the next day :)

13. Anon-9aee479f8f

Crookedbandit that is close to our 4th July menu. We just add a few more grilled meats for variety and homemade ice cream. At Christmas we will have Baked Ham and Grilled Pork Tenderloin with our meal.

14. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

All this talk of food and Thankgiving wishes we in the UK celebrated this, hell we sole your trick or treat and Black Friday!

Oh that sounds different on the stuffing Laura and in a weird way similar to how some turkey wellingtons (without the crust) would be, kinda like adding cranberries to the stuffing in your method.
    kat -- Mmmmm grilled pork tenderloin!!! what time should I turn up and I will bring wine ;)

katkat likes this.
  15. Anon-9aee479f8f

Has anyone tasted or made pumpkin cheese cake? Just wondered if it is worth the trouble or should I just stick to traditional pumpkin pie and a separate cheese cake?

16. DavidGP

never had that type of cheesecake, cannot wonder why it would not taste nice as it sounds like a good idea, but I'm a fan of mixed winter berries cheesecake.

17. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I've made a few different versions, and they are something you either love or hate. We tend to love them, especially the two-layer one I made. Base layer was pumpkin cheesecake, top layer was regular cheesecake swirled with caramel, and it had a gingersnap crust. It is a rather giant PITA, however, so if you're already doing a bunch of other stuff you might as well just stick with pie if everyone likes it. I tend to do a cheesecake if I'm going to someone else's house for dinner, but not if I'm cooking.

Edit: I just noticed you said you're already making a cheesecake, so you're already in for the trouble. Might as well make one!:D

katkat likes this.
  18. Anon-9aee479f8f

I am making a cheesecake of some variety and thought if pumpkin cheesecake was good I'd do that. The caramel sauce sounds interesting.:)

19. Bob D.

Bob D. Majorgeeks official old fart

I'm going to cook one of those Butterball turkey breast roasts. Green beans and onions. Beets . Leaks. Wash it all down with a pot of coffee.

Can you say food coma?

20. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

This is the one I was talking about...really, really tasty, but kind of a huge PITA. :p
    Pumpkin and Caramel Swirled Cheesecake
    Serves 10

*Takes more than one day to make.*

Crust:
    1 1/2 cups gingersnaps, crushed
    1 1/2 cups pecans, toasted
    1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
    1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

Filling:
    4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
    1 2/3 cups sugar
    1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin (do not use pumpkin pie filling)
    9 tablespoons whipping cream
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    4 large eggs
    4 tablespoons caramel sauce (sundae topping)
    1 cup sour cream OR 12 gingersnaps cut in half

Step 1
    Preheat oven to 350F. Cover the outside of a 9-inch springform pan (2 3/4-inch sides) with aluminum foil to ensure it is sealed.
    Step 2
    Finely grind crushed cookies, pecans and sugar in a food processor until fine crumbs are formed. Add melted butter and blend until combined.
    Step 3
    Press crumb mixture into bottom and up sides of prepared pan.
    Step 4
    Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
    Step 5
    Transfer 3/4 cup of mixture to a small bowl and cover; refrigerate until needed.
    Step 6
    To the filling mixture in the bowl, add pumpkin, 4 tablespoons whipping cream, cinnamon and allspice and beat until well combined.
    Step 7
    Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
    Step 8
    Pour filling into crust (it should almost completely fill the pan).
    Step 9
    Bake until cheesecake puffs, top browns, and center moves only slightly when jiggled, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
    Step 10
    Transfer cheesecake to a rack and let cool 10 minutes. Run a small knife around the edges to loosen from pan and let cool completely. When completely cooled, cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
    Step 11
    Bring reserved 3/4 cup cream cheese mixture to room temperature; add remaining 5 tablespoons whipping cream and stir to combine well.
    Step 12
    Pour cream cheese mixture over top of cheesecake, spreading evenly.
    Step 13
    Spoon caramel sauce in lines over top; run a knife through the lines to swirl caramel sauce into cream cheese topping.
    Step 14
    If using sour cream, spoon into a pastry bag with a small star tip (do not stir before using) and pipe around edge of cheesecake. If using gingersnaps, place half-cookies around edge of cheesecake.
    pumpkin caramel swirl cheesecake P.jpg

Kestrel13! and DavidGP like this.
  21. Anon-9aee479f8f

Looks good Sgt Tibbs, thanks! Although I think my family would prefer a gram cracker crust in place of the ginger snaps.

22. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Leftovers, as usual. I have to work AGAIN this year . . . so I'll run by my moms and pick up my customary goodies :)

23. Anon-9aee479f8f

Spad at least Thanksgiving leftovers are some of the very best leftovers known to man. :)

Happy Thanksgiving to those of you that celebrate it!

24. LauraR

kat and Tibbs, you both are great with your baking. I don't go near that. I love to cook, hate to bake. I cook for 2 and a half days, but go to this great bakery to pick up dessert. I bought a Deep Dish Apple and am trying a Sweet Potato Pie. I have never had Sweet Potato pie, but her sweet potato cake is incredible, so I figure this has to be good.

Beth, your cheesecakes look wonderful. :)

I'm in the middle of making some Italian bread for tomorrow. My daughter is in school in North Carolina and swears they don't have any good bread down there, so ask me to make this.

I'm going to make the mashed potatoes and mashed sweet potatoes today and heat them up tomorrow.

25. Anon-9aee479f8f

Laura I do as much the day before as I can also. I cook and mash my potatoes the day before and heat them in the microwave with real butter and I have never had any complaints about them, honestly don't think anyone can tell the difference. Getting ready to tackle that Two Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake now.

26. whitequeen96

whitequeen96 Private First Class

We're taking the cheaters' way out and getting our feast from Marie Callender's. We'll eat it at home and add a few of our own things, but Marie's doing the cooking. And we still get to have leftovers!

27. Anon-9aee479f8f

Here is the verdict on the Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake from my family....Everyone thought it was good but they still like my plain Vanilla Cheesecake with Strawberry Sauce better. So guess that is what I will make for Christmas Dinner.

28. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I kind of want a plain vanilla cheesecake with strawberry sauce myself! ;) At least they thought it was good... I'd hate to think you tried something new and everybody hated it. Live and learn!

Dinner was a resounding success here, even though I made way too much food especially given there are only two of us. I did end up with the red cabbage and also my grandma's salad, and instead of tube biscuits I used the last of my mix from the Loveless Cafe and did drop biscuits. We just now finished up with the berry tarts, which I served with some whipped cream (vanilla sugar added) since I had some whipping cream left over from the Brussels sprouts and spinach-mushroom casserole.

[​IMG]

Kestrel13! and DavidGP like this.
  29. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

May I have a wish? :)

I wish I could invite everyone on this thread to my home... I will eat myself into a coma. :D

30. DavidGP

You and me both!

Beth, looks great and OH WOW I'm hungry again now..... whats in the green pot top right?

31. LauraR

My dinner turned out awesome!

I am soooooo disappointed in the pies though. The Sweet potato pie was way too sweet (lol...yeah, I know) and the apple pie apples were too crisp. I did cut a little piece of the apple pie off last night and put it in the microwave for a minute, though, and it was excellent.

32. DavidGP

I bet your dinner was amazing Laura!
    Pies if you give them to me with thick cream then I'm golden! Happy bunny!
    Love apple pie if you have chunks of apple rather than mushed up apple.

33. LauraR

You'd have loved this pie, then. It was fresh sliced apples.

(fyi...I love that you can highlight part of someone's post and a reply button pops up and it just quotes, your highlighted part)

34. DavidGP

Ohhhhhh love fresh sliced apple and then with double cream or vanilla ice cream.

I know on the reply and highlighted posts.

35. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Thanks! I was pretty pleased. As to the dish, we've always called it "Grandma Unrath Salad", because it's the method of making tossed salad my maternal grandmother made for every holiday. I tried not to make it this year to cut back on food, but holidays are just not right without it.

Grandma Unrath Salad

Edit:
    OK, finally found the first thing I don't like with the new forums look: Links are really hard to distinguish from regular text.

36. Anon-9aee479f8f

Sgt Tibbs my take on a salad near yours is putting all salad ingredients of your liking in a bowl (I prefer 9x13 dish) then mix mayo and graded parmesan cheese together and spread over the salad mix then sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon. You can even do this the night before. Cover tightly and place in refrigerator.

37. purpledesk

purpledesk Guest

Yes, I strongly agree that we need to think of the next occasion and Christmas is almost here. Thanksgiving was over and Turkey was served at its best.. For the holiday season. I'm thinking of so many recipes to have for dinner and I wanna prepare for this. I just started checking on different appetizers, desserts and main courses for the holidays. I guess, I'll take time to see these options: Elegant Recipes For Christmas .

38. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

katkat, your salad sounds good, too! I'll have to keep that in mind for future family parties. :)

I figured out Christmas in all its various incarnations! This is what I'm making, but for the family parties my sisters and parents will also make stuff.

#1 (Dad's house): Cornbread salad, blue & blackberry salad.
    #2 (Mom's house): Cheese and garlic stuffed mushrooms, gingerbread trifle
    To share between the two houses: Mississippi spiced pecans, five spice pistachios
    #3 (Christmas Day at my house): Still deciding between Cornish hens with root vegetables and marinated leg of lamb for the entree (it'll depend on what goes on sale), hearts of palm Parmesan salad, turnip greens & pearl onion gratin, green bean casserole (if I do the lamb, otherwise we'll have vegetables already), buttermilk biscuits, sweet & sour red cabbage, and lemon sponge pudding for dessert.
    Holiday baking: Old-fashioned gingerbread (the cake kind, my great-grandma's recipe), cherry pie filling bread, strawberry cream cheese cookies, cashew cookies, molasses cookies, cream cheese walnut cookies, chocolate mint snowdrop cookies, and Reese's Nutter Butter truffles.

I should note that I do trays of cookies and stuff as gifts for a lot of people: my regular taxi drivers, my bartenders, the folks I work with in the booth for hockey games, and anybody else who surprises me with a gift I wasn't expecting. I also do the gingerbread as gifts for my family since it's my great-grandma's recipe, so I end up making usually four batches of it (each one does a 9x13 pan, or two 9-inch rounds). This year it'll be five so I can make the trifle. The various kinds of cookies are usually 5-6 dozen each, and the pie filling bread is two loaves which I split in half lengthwise before slicing for trays.

39. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Something simple.... like soup. I'm not great in the kitchen. :D

40. Anon-9aee479f8f

That is a lot of baking Sgt Tibbs!
    Kestrel cooking is a skill that gets better with lots of practice. Honestly there is a long list of mistakes, some eatable some not. :p:D

I want to grill meat for Christmas Dinner if the weather is good. You never know it can be 70 degrees and other Christmas Days we have 12" show and zero temps.:rolleyes:

Kestrel13! likes this.
  41. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Believe it or not, I'm cutting back this year! :D I usually end up with about 70-80 dozen cookies and 6 dozen truffles. I just don't have time to give it more than two days this year with how my work schedule is shaping up.

42. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Day one of baking is done! Two batches of gingerbread (one 9x13 and two 9x9), five-spice pistachios, Mississippi spiced pecans, strawberry cream cheese cookies, molasses spice cookies, and pumpkin white chocolate spice cookies. And through some miracle I can actually give it three days this year, so I don't have to kill myself! :D

[​IMG]

DavidGP likes this.
  43. Anon-9aee479f8f

Looks good Sgt Tibbs! I do Sugared Pecans and they are always a hit. I plan to make my desserts for Christmas Dinner individual size so everyone can serve themselves easily and less mess.

44. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Thank you! These are sugared, but also have cayenne, rosemary, and thyme. They're way tasty!

Today's installment was cream cheese walnut cookies, cashew cookies, cherry pie filling bread, and chocolate mint snow-top cookies. Not pictured are the 96 truffles in my freezer because they still need to be dipped in chocolate. One more day and the treats will be done, then it's on to real food!

[​IMG]

45. Eldon

You must have a very big freezer... :p

46. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

It's only two cookie sheets' worth...they're only one-inch balls. ;) I did have to do some rearranging to make a flat space, though! :D

47. Eldon

My bad... :oops:
    I read/thought trifles! o_O
    How embarrassing... :eek:

Time for a Carling... :D

48. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

[​IMG] That would be quite something! :D

I'm making the trifle (one singular trifle ;)) Saturday night.

49. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I'm done with the baking!! Two more batches of gingerbread, two batches of cornbread, and hand-dipping 90-some #@#$#!%$^#@ truffles. I always forget how much I hate dipping truffles. :rolleyes: Now I just have to make my stuff for the two family parties this weekend over the next couple of days.

[​IMG]

50. Anon-9aee479f8f

I made 4 desserts yesterday and today the real cooking and prep begins for Christmas Eve Dinner. I have to make several dishes to take to 2 other dinners also, so it looks like I will be in the kitchen for a long time. Sunday will be the first day of rest!:) Busy time but enjoying every bit of it!
    Merry Christmas!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds