Need New Computer Mouse?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skullduggery's Dupe, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Skullduggery's Dupe

Skullduggery's Dupe Master Sergeant

I've got a wireless computer mouse that has started acting erratically (unresponsive,
    hard to control, etc.) I've tried installing new batteries and cleaning the laser, but that
    hasn't seemed to help, at least not much. I've noticed that this erratic behavior is only
    intermittent. Can a computer mouse start to go bad in this way without failing entirely?
    Or could the problem be in the mouse USB dongle, or perhaps in the computer itself?

And I'm not kidding here: As it pertains to computers, what's the plural of "mouse" - "mice" or
    "mouses"?

BTW, the computer in question is:

System:
    Processor: Pentium 4 1.80 GHz
    RAM: 1.25 GB
    System type: 32-bit

Windows edition:
    Windows XP Professional
    Version: 2002
    Service Pack 3

Browser:
    Interner Explorer 8
    Version: 8.0.6001.18702
    Update versions: 0

2. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Have you tried the usb in a different port? Tried the mouse on a different computer?

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What you could also try is in Device Manager is plug the mouse dongle in and see what is listed and delete it, then plug back in and the driver will re-install, it could be as simple as a driver issue, if not then its a USB port issue and Kats info on trying a different port is apt, and if not then check hardware, does mouse work on another PC, rules out the mouse, then rules in hardware issue on that PC, but try a different wifi/BT mouse if you can borrow one to test.

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have always preferred "mouses" - because they are not real mice.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds