Do You Buy Yourself A Chrismas Present?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DavidGP, Nov 28, 2015.

1. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi all

I just have to ask this as I tend to buy myself am item at Christmas for myself , in previous years its been a PVD ,TV, phone, laptop or tablet or weird ass random has been a car I got a Fiat 500 Sport last year and this year I'm stuck for a personal YAY GO Me present.

If you get yourself something what is is?

Eaking for a Lumia 950 and likely Surface book.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I think I buy myself Christmas presents all year long. :D

Actually, if I am xmas shopping for others and see something I want, I'll get it, give it to my hubby and tell him to give it to me as a gift. Usually it's a coat. I love coats. OH, or a knife. I love really good expensive cooking knives.

This year, I can't say I really have anything in mind. I'm sure I'll run across something, though.

DavidGP likes this.
  3. DavidGP

Ok coats or Knifes Laura, what brands? I curious as if its knifes then Kuhn Rikon are superb. Coats then I'm a little lost!

4. LauraR

My last knife was a Bob Kramer Carbon steel chef's knife (made for Henckels). I got that for my birthday last year.

My knife 'gift' before that was a Global Butcher Knife. lol...that was a Christmas present.

The time before that was a Boning Knife. It's a Wusthof

I have so many coats. I couldn't begin to list the brands. I will say if I'm buying leather, I like Andrew Marc.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  5. LauraR

Oh, and never heard of Kuhn Rikon. I'll have to check it out.

6. DavidGP

7. LauraR

I really like those boots. Whatever that store is, they are having some good sales.

8. DavidGP

Me too on the boots, dunno if they sell to UK though, may try later.
    If you search there are some really good deals.

9. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

DavidGP likes this.
  10. DavidGP

Looks pardon the pun really nice Joffa :)

joffa likes this.
  11. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

I hope it will be David........ the Hisense is OK but is not 4K and build quality could be much better and it is 2 years old......

Can't wait to play Fallout 4 on the new TV to see if the game takes full advantage of the 4K display.
    BTW my wife asked me last week if I wanted a windcheater and a couple of pairs of socks or a new jacket for Christmas and I said "I think I might organise my own present" LOL

DavidGP likes this.
  12. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I never set out to buy myself a Christmas present exactly, but I do tend to pick up things as I need them and since I shop for one of my nieces and one of my nephews at a place where I also get things, I tend to add something on since I'm already paying for shipping. This year, for instance, I bought my niece two t-shirts and since I was shopping I also picked up a polo shirt for myself. Or sometimes I have to fill out a minimum order, so when I was bead shopping to make jewelry for one of my nieces and a friend, I had to pick up some other things so I could make the next discount level. ;) In the past I've gotten myself books, CDs, DVDs, kitchen gadgets, and whatnot. I usually pick up some stocking stuffers for myself while I'm getting things for Mom as well.

DavidGP likes this.
  13. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I already have WAY too much junk. Hopefully my presents (none to myself) will be upgrading something I have.

14. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

I have Cutco knives and they are very nice but somewhat pricey and as to if they are worth the money I'm not sure as I have not tried that many brands of knives.

I have sometimes bought myself a Christmas present especially if it is something I want to pick out myself.

15. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

katkat - I have seen cutco knives and scissors that have been around 40 years and still are good. The scissors after years could still cut the rim off of a penny.

David - Not at Christmas. But a few years back I started getting my wife presents on My birthday. First time I gave her a blind bag with a couple pieces of jewelry with my birthstone. She looks in the bag and says what's this. I said happy birthday. She says but it's your birthday. I said that's why I got you something. Been a good tradition ever since.

DavidGP and Kestrel13! like this.
  16. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

I do. I didn't used to but I decided about 3 years ago that I work hard for my money, so I deserve something nice. I decided that I would allow my self one "expensive" Christmas present. The first year, it was a tablet. Last year, was a new phone. This year, a 2-in-one laptop (although, if Amazon can't get themselves together enough to send me my battery, I might just have to get a new phone. I don't want to have to do this though).

17. Maine

Maine Private E-2

As I ask all my friends (I have no family) not to buy me things for Christmas (though I buy them small things) so I usually get something for myself. This year may be a Game Camera which will give me two, one to point in opposite directions. I use them to watch the wildlife on the property and for security when I leave.

18. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

My Christmas gift is 3 cords of firewood.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  19. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Got my Christmas gifts for the next few years a while back. Spent too much money, but it was a great deal, could not refuse.

20. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Can't afford to buy for anyone this year, let alone myself. :D

21. Bob D.

Bob D. Majorgeeks official old fart

I may not get any gifts this year.
    I've been very naughty. :(

22. skimmer

skimmer Private E-2

Hello Dave,
    Have to admit I went a bit overboard this year and bought the farm (so to speak). Picked up a Dodge HD 3500 Diesel truck to haul a new DVR 5th wheel toy hauler trailer. But didn't stop there and went on to pick up a Harley FLSS scooter. That to join the '82 lowrider I already had. And not to slight my British friends I have a '71 Triumph to balance things out. So yeah, buying for Christmas went just a bit over the top this year. Just getting ready to be a total nomad. Traveling the U.S.
    Full speed ahead, and damn the wallet. Which I should note has gone far beyond empty.
    Hope your doing well Sir.
    Be well. The best of the holidays, and every other day to you!
    My Best,
    Skimmer

DavidGP likes this.
  23. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

I do buy presents for myself, as I'm really the only one that really knows what I want pertaining to gifts.

24. DavidGP

Thanks folks for the replies and I'm not the only one....

TimW... hope the wood keeps you warm my friend.
    Cutco knives they sound sharp!
    4K TV OMG want one, dont know if to get a Samsung curved one or not, I do like Samsung TVs and have 2 1080p ones at present, oH and my desktop PC has a Samsung 1080p 24" monitor.

Skimmer - Tim what colour the Dosge truck my friend as I just looked online as you know the UK dont do large trucks and that one is NEATO my friend. Tim I'm doing well and always please do drop me an email at an time, hope you are well too.

Imandy Mann - WOW that was a superb idea on the birthstone, so romantic, its those what seem like little things that RALLY do mean alot.

I just jumped into Star Wars game and a development idea of a 4K portable projector on a funding site I use a lot. still may get a Lumia 950 next week, but would have loved a Surface Book but they are only in the US so far!!!

Hope you all have a wonderful Xmas.

25. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Santa just brought us two tires. He said the bank is busted now.

DavidGP likes this.
  26. DavidGP

Santa's a keeper TimW.

Ohhh dont get me started on tires as they are my nemesis! every time I get a new car I end up getting two or three tires changes in a year due to nails and shit! luckily the new 500 has only had one new tire (only 1yr old car) so far due to nail, at lest these tires are £80 against my last car at £150 a tire!

27. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

DavidGP likes this.
  28. purpledesk

purpledesk Guest

We should!!!:) Splurging on our wants once in a while is not a bad deal after all.

DavidGP likes this.
  29. Gensuknives

Gensuknives Grand pooty-meister

David, we've been using a set of Cutco knives for 5 years now and they are just as sharp as the day we got them. SHEWHOMUSTBEOBEYED loves them. Won't use anything else.

And, for me, I bought a 32" tv monitor by Sceptre to use as my computer monitor. Love it for gaming too.

DavidGP likes this.
  30. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Technically, I just bought myself a Samsung Galaxy S6. And all it cost me was the insurance deductible!

My Droid Turbo screen broke at work tonight and the phone is currently useless. Since it was discontinued, that's how I'm getting the Samsung, which I get to use for a year until I'll be eligible for a new phone. I'm calling it a Christmas present because otherwise I'll probably say even more bad words out loud than I already have. :mad:

31. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Ha!:p The Christmas Coke name bottle I got the other ay said "Someone Naughty" I think it might of been meant for you!:D

32. DavidGP

@Gensuknives - 32" tv monitor by Sceptre very nice my friend.

@Eldon - is the black label beers better than their normal week ass-effort of a beer as I tend to like Japanese or Belgian or UK real ales, IPA is a fav.

@Tibbs - Beth hate it when tech goes wrong but then again its an excuse to get new, if affordable and the S6 is a nice gadget!!!!

I gained a Microsoft Lumia 950 yesterday, OMG love it, and got my mum a Lumia 640 as she has my old iPhone 3, so she needed brining into the new age, she likes it and finds texting easier, especially as I keep hearing her today talking to Cortana, thats a laugh....

33. Eldon

DavidGP, you are looking for trouble, and you will loose.
    This is what we drink. http://www.sab.co.za/sablimited/content/en/sab-carling-black-label
    Quote:
    At this time, Carling Black Label also began to win major awards in brewing competitions around the world. By 1996, Carling Black Label had been honoured twice at the World's Best Bottled Lager competition.

Since then Carling Black Label has won a total of 25 awards, the latest being a 3 Star Gold Superior Taste Award at the 2012 International Taste and Quality Institute in Belgium.
    Carling Black Label has evolved over time to become the beer brand that represents the values of South African men from all walks of life and recognises them as champions for their drive and commitment to achieve great things. These are the everyday champions who take on life and win. These are the champion men who deserve the reward of a beer that's full-bodied, well-rounded and satisfying, A Champion Beer.

The Best.

DavidGP likes this.
  34. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I am sitting here giggling my fool head off over Black Label being considered anything other than bottom shelf, college kids can afford it, cheap beer! :confused: I have no idea what it costs currently since I haven't been that broke in years, but it used to be $2.99 a six-pack. Compare that to $4.99 for Budweiser or $9.99 for a good microbrew. I do know it's huge with the hipster crowd, right up there with Pabst Blue Ribbon. In bars you can typically get a pitcher for about five bucks.

@DavidGP - It's an OK phone. The battery life is about half what I had with the Droid and it's got some things that make me crazy, but most of it is learning curve. Like the home button being an actual button I have to push rather than a soft key, and the back button being on the opposite side. I'll get used to it, and it's certainly better than no phone at all. I also sprung $90 for a LifeProof case for it. I'm not playing that game again, especially since they sent me a phone that's glass front and back to replace one with a ballistic nylon back and a cracked screen!

To give you an idea of battery life... I took the Droid off the charger at 8am Monday morning. The screen is black so I can't tell you how much battery is left, but as of a couple of minutes ago (10:15pm Saturday) when I pushed the power button the edges still lit up. After a long work day with heavy use I would usually be at 40% or so when I got home, and on non-work days I only charged it every other night.

DavidGP likes this.
  35. Bob D.

Cheep Beer... Any one else remember Brew 102?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      9.8 KB
      Views:
  36. Eldon

I'm hurt... :rolleyes:

37. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

I can't drink. It messes me up :D

38. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

Perhaps you should lodge a damages claim with Michigan Life and Casualty. ;)

Imandy Mann likes this.
  39. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I'm sorry... It just goes to show that what one culture considers excellent another does not. Probably there are things I think are fabulous that you would scoff at as well.

40. HCFGrizzly

HCFGrizzly Private E-2

Because I missed (and I`m not a big fan of ) black Friday I will buy myself a Playstation 4 this year. Merry X-mass to me o_O

41. DavidGP

@Eldon - I just remember the old cans and likely the bottled stuff is much better, I need to get some beers for xmas so will see if local boozyplace has any.

@Tibbs, yeah swapping from one OS to another can be a learning curve indeed, and I know what you mean on changing things, eacen from Win8.1 to Win10 mobile the back arrow hold that brinks up background apps to allow closing them, is the opposite side, currently loving Windows Hello, did try it out in work and works well to recognise your IRIS over someone else's, is it a gimmick, kind of and swings and roundabouts to typing a PIN in or swiping you grubbyass finger over a finger reader. Batty life of the 950 is OK nothing earth shattering, but I do use it alot and use the Wifi-Hotspot with my Surface, but at least I can get a 50%+ charge in 30mins off USB-C which is similar to Galaxy S6 and Notes.

42. Bob D.

I bought two pair jammies yesterday. Untitled.jpg

DavidGP likes this.
  43. Eldon

It says Black Friday Deals... :rolleyes:
    Then why are they neon-yellow? :D

44. DavidGP

BobD, cannot say we would not see you coming in those and you'd never get lost in the snow, dunno what you'd be doing out in the now in your jammies but never know!

45. Bob D.

They are neon-yellow because there were no neon- green or blue. :rolleyes: :D

DavidGP likes this.
  46. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I normally don't, but had to this year . . . needed new truck tires. Went out at 01:00 in the morning to find my RR flat. Aired it up and found it was leaking from the sidewall. Wasn't damage or mischief, it was dry rot. Tires were Cooper brand, but they were seven years old. I managed to plug it well enough to hold air overnight (took two plugs . . . it kept tearing bigger. Never had a tire do that), and well enough to get me the half mile down the road to my tire place. $600 and tax later I have 4 good All Terrain 6-ply truck tires.

Reinforces you have to watch the age of your tires as well as tread wear. That one tire seemed the worse out of all 4 identical tires . . . but I never noticed any cracking. After it went flat the cracks and dry rot were very apparent.

DavidGP likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds