Problems With Internet Access

Discussion in 'Software' started by bobothebionicmonkey, Nov 28, 2015.

1. bobothebionicmonkey

bobothebionicmonkey Private First Class

Hello. My sister's computer is a HP 2000 notebook PC with a intel core i3 processor and 4GB RAM running 64bit Windows 10. She has been having some trouble lately, the indicator says she is online but she cannot connect to any websites and cannot update her AVG or anything. It is like she is connected to the internet but unable to receive any answers to her requests to go to websites. When we right clicked on the Networks icon at the bottom right corner of her screen to diagnose the problem it says that windows is online but cannot receive or something like that. the other computers on our network have been having similar problems with websites not appearing but usually after a few attempts refreshing the page it will eventually connect. I'm unsure what the problem is and how to fix it. Any help you guys can provide would be helpful. Thanks.

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Are you using HP's software to connect, or Windows?

3. bobothebionicmonkey

I would guess Windows.

4. bobothebionicmonkey

It says in the diagnostic tool that windows is online but not responding to connection attempts. I tried flushing the DNS cache, and have tried unplugging the modem/router (it is one box) but that didn't seem to stop the problem. Could this simply be a bandwidth issue? or is there something more going on here?

5. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Have you gone into Device Manager, uninstalled the drivers and then rebooted?

6. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

bobothebionicmonkey...

I think I read something a few weeks ago (here at MGs) about AVG causing someone's PC to have this identical problem. Can't seem to find the post, so here is something you could try:

If this fixes the problem, you may consider advising your sister to change a-vs...

7. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

8. Rayjames06

Rayjames06 Private E-2

Sounds like a modem is going out to me. Mentioning that other computers on your network are having the same issue I assume would rule out a setting or program like AVG from one computer causing the problems on another. I had the exact same issue once in the past. My internet would lose connection for a period of time, maybe 5mins up to a few hours, though my indicator still showed that I had a connection. Replacing my modem did the trick there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds