help!! how to remove or disable CompatTelRunner.exe???

Discussion in 'Software' started by capnzathrus, Sep 5, 2015.

1. capnzathrus

capnzathrus Private E-2

I found this eating up memory and CPU, and cannot find any way to get rid of it. UAC setting change didn't help. Deleting the file in System32 is impossible. I can't find the update that carried it. I'm running Win7 Ultimate. From what I understand this is a Win10 program. HELP!!!

2. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

My search leads to two possible updates as the cause - KB2952664 & KB2977759.

3. capnzathrus

capnzathrus Private E-2

Thanks Doc!!! I believe I narrowed it down to KB2952664. After restart, there's no trace of it. I tried the other first and it was still there. VERY helpful. I hope this thread helps others with this problem.

4. jama211

jama211 Private E-2

I found it can be deleted, but you have to go into properties, security, advanced permisions, change the owner from trustedinstaller to yourself or admin or Everyone, then you can allow write changes to everyone in the permissions editor, *then* you can delete it, or do what I did which was just rename it<snip>

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2015

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds