Err_connection_refused.

Discussion in 'Software' started by NotITsmart, Nov 27, 2015.

1. NotITsmart

NotITsmart Private E-2

I am using Windows 8.1 . Two days ago I started getting this error when I tried to access a couple of sites I regularly go to. I didn't change any settings. But I can still access the site from another device on the same WiFi network. I've tried everything, from clearing browser to off firewall. I used the troubleshoot option on the bottom right of the screen. And I got this.."The device or resource is not set up to accept connections on port "The World Wide Web service (HTTP)"
    Can someone please help me ? thank you very much

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Weird issue and one that I would be following this advice HERE and then posting the logs in the Malware forum at Majorgeeks for the malware experts to review.

3. NotITsmart

NotITsmart Private E-2

thanks David, I've posted this in the Malware forum.

4. NotITsmart

NotITsmart Private E-2

Hi David,

I was just informed by Kestrel13 there's no malware and it is a topic for Software.

5. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

NotITsmart...

Which a-v are you using? Do you have any browser security plug ins or extensions? I use NoScript in Firefox and sometimes it warns of redirects in a somewhat similar way. You may want to try the sites with your a-v off and plug ins and extensions disabled as long as you are 100% sure of the safety of the sites in question...

This does look like it's on the other end, however. Their server is rejecting the connection. That is unusual...

NotITsmart likes this.
  6. NotITsmart

NotITsmart Private E-2

AtlBo,

I'm using Microsoft Forefront endpoint protection. I do not have any browser security plug ins or extensions. Yes, i've tried that with the anti virus off.

Yes it looks like it's on the other end. Occasionally , I can access for a short while then I can't access anymore for a day or two. I've also noticed that my Internet cache is very large after 1-2 hours online. I am not sure if it is normal. I've attached a picture of it. That is after 2 hours after I have the internet cache.

Attached Files:

7. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Wow...300+ MB in 1-2 hours? I guess it takes me a few days to build the cache up to that point in Firefox. Really strange.

Have you ever run AdwCleaner? This is sort of a swiss army knife for removal of junk files, and it gives you the opportunity to look over what is on the system. Usually malware free means you are off the hook, but AdwCleaner can/does catch many strange types of things lurking down deep in a PC. Here is the MGs link:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/adwcleaner.html

AdwCleaner is super easy to use, even if you haven't used it before.

It's as if your PC has been blacklisted or blocked based on some strange standard security measure. Almost like maybe something on your PC tried something that got the attention of the server on the other end for those sites.

8. NotITsmart

NotITsmart Private E-2

AtlBo,
    I've run AdwCleaner as you suggested. Got nothing. This issue is really frustrating. The scary part is the internet cache. Something is causing it to be that big and I have no idea.

9. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

Your chrome settings seem to indicate that Citrix could well be the culprit as far as the high internet usage.
    Which browser are using the most for general browsing?

10. NotITsmart

NotITsmart Private E-2

I use Chrome for general browsing

11. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

In your run keys you have:
    C:\Program Files\Citrix\Receiver\Receiver.exe -autoupdate -startplugins
    So it's quite possible that the plugin for chrome is inflating chrome's cache.
    Are you running Citrix as a part of some enterprise or .. ?

12. NotITsmart

NotITsmart Private E-2

null,

I need Citrix for my work. The issues with the Err_connection_refused happened before Citrix is installed. The cache issue also happened prior to Citrix. Also I've checked the Chrome plugins , Citrix is not in there.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds