The Bsod Is Killing Me.

Discussion in 'Software' started by ksadeckas, Jan 31, 2016.

1. ksadeckas

ksadeckas Private E-2

I have been getting the BSOD regularly. I thought that upgrading to Windows 10 would help, but it did not. Lately the Bug Check String is IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE, but earlier it was REFERENCE_BY_POINTER. Based on reviewing the posts, I figured it had to do with my drivers. I went through every item in Device Manager and checked for driver updates. No help.
    I then deleted a bunch of new programs and programs I don't use. Ran a cleaning program and cleaned the register, too. I sitill get BSOD - 5 times today.
    I have posted the report from Bluescreenviews.

Can anyone help me? If not, I will have to do a recovery and then reload all my programs, etc. yuch.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. ksadeckas

ksadeckas Private E-2

Thanks. I did this all last night. got BSOD while downloading MBam (System knew what was coming?) I have my fingers crossed.

4. satrow

5. ksadeckas

ksadeckas Private E-2

I did not do the full checkup, waiting for the next BSOD. So far, none! KNOCK ON WOOD!.
    If this continues, do you think it is safe for me to reinstall McAfee? It came with my ATT Internet package. I am currently using Windows 10 Windows Defender, but will use another virus protection if you think McAfee will be a problem.

Thanks for your help.

Ken from Atlanta

6. satrow

Sounds promising Ken, going ~10 days w/o a BSOD usually means it's fixed.

I'd stay with Defender and the Windows Firewall, they don't cause BSODs :), they're very dependable, good real world detection rates with very low false positives.

Ensure you're using SmartScreen too, though it might give a higher number of false positives. If you think a download/site is safe but it's flagged with a warning by SmartScreen, do further research/ask questions before allowing access.

Shy away from installing utility software until you've checked that it really is safe and does what it says on the tin, too many aren't and don't!

7. ksadeckas

ksadeckas Private E-2

well it was actually only 3 days and then it hit again. I also was trying to ensure smartscreen is on, but I cannot locate it and I also discovered that Windows Defender is NOT on. When I tried to activate it, I got " This app has been turned off and isn't monitoring your computer." I cannot determine what antivirus is runing as I have either disabled or deleted every anti-virus, anti-adware, etc. I ran Malwarebytes this morning and it gave me a clean bill of health. Any suggestions on what to do before I do the full checkup

8. satrow

Did you run the MCPR tool above? Can you run it again from Safe Mode?

To check whether there are 3rd party security drivers loading, you can use Nirsoft's DriverView (that might challenge SmartScreen, some of Nirsoft's tools have a history of being flagged up as PUPS!).

SmartScreen should be available via the settings on the left side here: Control Panel\System and Security\Security and Maintenance

EDIT: can you zip and upload the latest crash dump, or at least a basic report on it?

9. ksadeckas

ksadeckas Private E-2

Thanks for responding so quickly. Last night i putzed around and found the window that allowed me to turn Windows Defender and Smart screen. (I was only looking at the windows available through Settings before. Once I found Control Panel, I was OK.) I did the full checkup from the Malware team and some issues showed up in some of the programs, but the instructions told me not to delete them. The full check up page says not to submit anything unless I still have the problem, and I have not seed WSOD since I ran them so I am waiting. Hopefully, I will not need to.

I ran Driverview and see I have the following which I think belonged to a Wise which was a utility program which I deleted. I will delete this, as well, if you agree.
    WiseTdiFw64.sys 00000000`03140000 00000000`0314E000 0x0000e000 1 72 Network Driver wise TDI driver 1.0.3.32 WiseCleaner.com TDI driver 7/20/2015 10:15:26 AM 12/27/2015 11:21:54 AM C:\Windows\WiseTdiFw64.sys A WiseTdiFw WiseTdiFw

I am attaching the report from Driverview in case you see something I missed. also, the latest crash report is not in BlueScreenView. It must have been erased when I ran the tool.

I really appreciate your help.

Ken

Attached Files:

10. satrow

Yes, uninstalling that Wise software would be a good start, it appears to be linked to Networking (firewall?) so it could be part of the problem.

11. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

12. ksadeckas

ksadeckas Private E-2

I got my Defender fixed and Smart Screen. I went through the full check up and then went about 30 hours without a BSOD, then I plugged in my phone to transfer a file and BAM! the BSOD. Attached are the required files. I am holding off loading WhoCrashedFree unless you say it OK, since the full check up instructions say not to load anything. Please let me know if I should.

I will upload the Malwarebytes log in the next message, I am limited to 5.

I appreciate your help.

Attached Files:

13. ksadeckas

ksadeckas Private E-2

I am trying to attach a malware report, but the system says it has the wrong extension (xml) so I opened and saved it in Word as text. Please tell me if I need to do something different. I am also attaching the latest crash report. Thanks.

Attached Files:

14. satrow

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\020916-38656-01.dmp <- copy this to the Desktop, zip it and attach the zip, please.

Uninstall Hola and any other P2P type software.

The logs seem to indicate that a malware checkup is needed.

15. Eldon

satrow likes this.
  16. Eldon

17. ksadeckas

ksadeckas Private E-2

Here is the 020916-38656-01.dmp file. I ran WhoCrashed Free but its only reported:

On Tue 2/9/2016 10:55:06 AM GMT your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
    Bugcheck code: 0x4A (0x7FFA54264EC4, 0x1, 0x0, 0xFFFFD000231A0B80)
    Error: IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE
    Bug check description: This indicates that a thread is returning to user mode from a system call when its IRQL is still above PASSIVE_LEVEL.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Attached Files:

18. satrow

All I see from a quick look is the possibility of audio/virtual audio drivers being implicated, please continue with the malware topic, once we know the PC is clean, we can continue here, should it still remain problematic.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  19. ksadeckas

ksadeckas Private E-2

I am sorry. What do you mean by "continue with the malware topic"? I ran the programs and posted the results. ehat else should I do? Thanks again for your help.

20. satrow

21. ksadeckas

ksadeckas Private E-2

I have been given a clean bill of health by Kestrel but still am getting the BSOD. Attached are the two latest reports. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ken from Atlanta

Attached Files:

22. satrow

Copy the below dumps to the Desktop, zip them and attach the zip files, please
    C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\021816-55031-01.dmp
    C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\022216-52578-01.dmp

23. ksadeckas

ksadeckas Private E-2

I added the latest, as well. I don't know if it will help or not. Thanks.

Attached Files:

24. satrow

All are effectively identical, a Service related to Audio appears to be stopping.

There are a lot of old audio-related drivers (and several other older drivers) loaded, you might get away with using ~2013 W8.1 drivers but 2009-2011 feel way too old for W10, please update the drivers/software or uninstall/disable older audio software/hardware.

Ideally, a fresh W10 install would be better, this appears to be an upgrade to W10 and it looks like there's a lot of old and incompatible drivers/software that have been carried over.

Code:
    BugCheck 4A, {7ff859a25164, 1, 0, ffffd0008cfe9b80}
    Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiSystemServiceExit+24a )
    ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
    BugCheck 4A, {7ffa1f1c5164, 1, 0, ffffd001d9579b80}
    ¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨¨``
    BugCheck 4A, {7ffe2a945164, 1, 0, ffffd00024b0db80}
    3rd party driver list:

25. ksadeckas

ksadeckas Private E-2

Hi, I am back. I tried to delete all old unused drivers. I ran pretty well until an hour ago when I got BSOD. I had also run Driver Verifier (I thought it sounded like a good idea.) I have attached the log from BlueScreenView.
    If I have to do a clean load of W10, I have built the DVD, but is there any way to save all my programs or will I have to reinstall all of them? Thanks.

Attached Files:

26. satrow

stdriverx64.sys is the driver flushed out by Driver Verifier, uninstall the SoundTap software and see if that cures the BSODs.

Turn off Driver Verifier.

27. ksadeckas

ksadeckas Private E-2

Done. Thanks again. FiIngers crossed

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds