Printer Won't Print

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skullduggery's Dupe, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Skullduggery's Dupe

Skullduggery's Dupe Master Sergeant

I guess this is a software problem, but maybe it's a hardware problem.

I have an HP Envy 5530 e-All-in-One Printer.

It wouldn't print. I looked in the print spooler ("See What's Printing"). It was empty.

I ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor. I selected the right printer and clicked on "Fix Printing".

It said "Everything checks out OK with your product".

I clicked on "Test Print".

It said "The printer should have printed out a test-print for evaluation."

But it hadn't, so I clicked "No print".

It suggested printing an internal test page. I clicked on "Test Print". It printed the internal test page just fine. It said "Did the test page print correctly?" I clicked on "Yes".

It then said:

'There is a problem with your software that cannot be fixed by this tool. Remove the software by clicking "Uninstall". Reinstall the software with the product CD or by downloading the most current Full Feature software from HP Customer Care.'

I clicked on "Uninstall", and the good doctor said:

"This will uninstall your product software. Before doing this, you should download and save the latest Full Featured software for your product from HP Customer Care."

So I clicked on the link to HP Customer Care. The website scanned the printer, but then said:

"HP has scanned your product but currently has no suggestions for driver updates.
    The list of all available drivers for your product is shown below."

Under HP Envy 5530 e-All-in-One Printer, there was only one 'option':
    HP ENVY 5530 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers

So I clicked on it.

A window appeared asking if I wanted HP to download the software and install it for me, or if I just wanted the download. I selected the former.

A window appeared that said "Software is downloading. Once the download has completed, click 'Install now' to begin the installation process." A progress bar was shown, but the 'progress' never got beyond 0%.

So I manually downloaded the driver, uninstalled the existing driver, installed the newly-downloaded driver, and rebooted the machine.

I tried to print a text file. I had to select the newly-reinstalled printer. I clicked on "Test Print". Nothing happened. And that started the whole process all over again.

Any ideas?

2. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

I didn't read where you have successfully re-installed the printer software.

3. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

MaxTurner and dr.moriarty like this.
  4. Skullduggery's Dupe

Excuse me. By "...installed the newly-downloaded driver...", I meant "...installed the newly-downloaded software and drivers...". It was a single download described as "HP ENVY 5530 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers".
    That's the webpage I was taken to when I clicked on "HP Customer Care", so I already tried that.

5. Skullduggery's Dupe

Even though the HP Print and Scan Doctor said "There is a problem with your software...", in order for me to be certain of that, does anyone know of any diagnostic program I can run to ascertain that there's no hardware problem?

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Do this troubleshooting step:

1. Uninstall (preferably using a thorough uninstaller such as Revo or Geek Uninstaller etc) every bit of the HP printer software and drivers.
    2. Restart your system and run CCleaner's Cleaner and Registry Cleaner
    3. Now, and only now, download the full OFFLINE software and driver printer package.
    4. Now do a full and carefully fresh install, restart the system, and try again.

7. Skullduggery's Dupe

Thanks, but it appears to be straightened out now.

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

When you fix a problem it is always helpful to others reading here if you say how you fixed it.

9. Skullduggery's Dupe

Sure, I hadn't gotten a response here in a couple days so I asked at BC, but I don't think that's gonna be useful to anyone here or anywhere else, because it seemed to fix itself for no reason right in the middle of me playing with it in response to a suggestion there.

10. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You got a suggestion here the same day as your last post requesting help if you look at the date/time. But if you don't want to share the suggestion someone gave you when cross-posting on another forum, that's fine.

11. Skullduggery's Dupe

I got a suggestion from _nullptr on Wednesday. I posted at BC today (Friday) at 2pm. You made a suggestion about 5 minutes before I posted at BC, but I didn't see it before posting. And I DID share what was said at BC, because I included the link. Here it is again.

12. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Good to know the problem is solved. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds