Optical Speakers Not Detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ichinzen, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

So I just tried plugging in the optical soundbar I got for my ps4 (since the moniter has none to speak of), but windows 10 isn't detecting the soundbar. It's an insignia soundbar if that helps.

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Please give the exact model number of the Insignia Soundbar.
    Have you carefully read and followed the online User Guide?

3. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

NS-SB314 but I don't see how an the online manual would help since I can pretty much set any piece of hardware up with out a manual. The issua is that my computer doesn't detect it at all even though it's properly connected. It worked fine when I connected it to the ps4, and I didn't need the instruction manual then. I know what I'm doing when it comes to hardware, even hardware that I've never used. The seems more loke a software issue not registering the new hardware, on my computer's side. It seems a lot of people using win10 has had one issue or another with an optical device. Stupid microsoft.

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

OK good luck with that. If you purchased it, I'm sure they will provide you with some support on what the issues could be.

5. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

I doubt they could help, this seems to be more an issue for my computer than anything. The sounbar itself works fine connected to my ps4 all I do is plug it in and out comes sound. The same should've held true for the computer, unless optical outputs need their own drivers which I highly doubt. Plus even then the fact is that since I cant select the soundbar in either sound settings tfor an audio output, or even see it in the list of devices, odds are my computer is the culprit behind this issue.

It seems that I'm not the only one having issues with the optical output either, people using dolby and other optical audio devices besides my own seem to have similar troubles only my issue is slightly differnt since they can actually choose to output audio through their optical whereas I can't . So please refrain from suggestings revolving around contacting the company who made the soundbar, as this issue seems unique to the windows 10.

As a final statement however I am unsure of the true nature of this issue wither or not the issue is hardware or software.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I downloaded the manual from here
    http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/home-audio-systems/NS-SB314.html

Setup page 6 but listed as 8 in the pdf file says:
    Connecting the soundbar (required)
    Choose one connection option shown below that
    fits your audio source device, such as a TV,
    DVD/Blu-ray player, or gaming console.

I suspect it isn't to be used with a Windows computer and that's why it isn't detected.

On the BestBuy page it specifies bluetooth and says:
    Bluetooth support for use with your Apple® iPhone®, iPad® or other Bluetooth-enabled device.

Does your computer have Blutooth and is it enabled? If so, see if you can pair it with the Win 10 computer.

7. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

Technically a computer is a gaming console in it's own right but yea the manual I saw never specified what it was meant for. do i need specific bluetooth hardware or is the device I need the DW1550 Bluetooth 4.0.1F or the Microsoft Bluetooth enumerator or LE enumerator?

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Contacting the seller or manufacturer is the normal thing when a product appears not to work, it's also the most logical, as is reading the user guide which another poster has done and pointed out a solution. The seller/manufacturer may have given you that same possible answer - ie a computer needs Bluetooth - immediately.

9. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

and i'd normally agree except people who made the upgrade noticed that their previously functioning optical speakers stopped working when they upgraded to win 10. Since I didn't have optical speakers I didn't worry about it then. Now that I do I may need some help with getting the computer to recognize the hardeware.

10. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

I made some progress on the issue with the help of another forum. I got it connected and the device manager now registers it as a bluetooth device, however I still can't select it for sound output, any ideas? Jus as long as it isn't contact the manufacturer.

11. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

Progress was made again however the device still doesn't play sound. This issue is now solely on the software end.

12. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

Guess I'm still the grandmaster of technology. Got it working with minimum help.

13. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The issue remains the same and it would not be at all surprising if the manufacturer was aware of the problem, if such a Windows 10 problem does exist, and they would be the best place to get advice.
    You still don't say whether the computer in question has BLUETOOTH and whether or not you have tried that.
    The user guide most definitely does refer to Bluetooth connection for that specific soundbar for a PC and MAC.

14. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

I did have bt active prior to the upgrade but it apparently got deactivated when I upgraded, for some reason hence my initial confusion as to why the device wasn't connecting. I had to reactivat it regardless. Despite that reactvating the device didn't play sound, so I wen deeper in and changed the bluetooth settings a bit.

Someone on a diferent forum mention that their bluetooth got deactivated and stopped working entirely after the upgrade and that they used driver talent to fix the isue. Since I'd already used driver talent to update my drivers because I was having issues with the hd graphics and such previously and ended up getting help here for it.

In any case it was more help than was provided by the back and forth comments between us. Once I heard that's what happened to somone else I didn't need any other help in order to rectify the problem.

15. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You could probably have saved yourself a lot of time going to the horse's mouth rather than here where it seems no one has that soundbar.
    If you resolved the Bluetooth issue (I have three systems with BT that I upgraded from 8 to Win 10 without a problem with BT) and then just followed the BT connection references in the User Guide, you would probably have solved this issue without even asking here. Moaning about the bogeyman Microsoft or users here being 'no help' is just hot air.

16. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

Granted you may have had no issues with your upgrades to win 10 but that not to say everyone has your apparent luck least when it comes to computers. There were several ppl who had bt problems when they switched to 10. Not all transitions will be seamless as it is very possible that not everybody is using the same hardware. This in turns means that the upgrade may have been different for them than you.

17. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You are absolutely right, some people upgrading from 7 and 8 to 10 have had issues with drivers and devices. They discover that when they first try to use those affected devices/drivers.
    But resolving the Bluetooth issue so that it worked was bound to resolve the issue with the soundbar as it is a bluetooth device.

18. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

Yea and that's just it I didn't know what the exact problem was with the lack of sound, the bt driver software I was using may not of been compatible with win 10 which may have been the reason the bt got turned off in the first place, and when I used driver talent that incompatible driver software got replaced with something that was compatible, all without my knowledge.

19. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Trying to connect a Bluetooth device that wont connect kind of tells you where the problem is.

20. Ichinzen

Ichinzen Corporal

It doesn't give you an exact though, sure the problem of it being where is something surround the bt device, maybe it's the speaker, maybe it's the device being used to connect to the speakers, or maybe it's software/os incompatiblity, or maybe when upgrading the os to a new one, the settings got messed up and turned off, without your knowledge, and the only issue is to simply turn it on.

The problem wasn't that I didn't know the where, the problem was i didn't know where specifically the problem lay.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds