Essentials

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Feb 7, 2016.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hi
    I have been using Widows Essentials 2012 which has photography and live mail as my client.
    It has other features but these are what I use it for.

I recently was told that is is being unsupported by Windows or MS.

Is this true?

Would Outlook - live.com (like Hotmail) which is also my MS address, be a client as it is web based not a desktop program?

I saw a site where it was listed as an alternative but I always thought the email client had to be non web based. I saw several like Thunderbird etc. but need info before acting.

Thanx for your help

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It is Microsoft Security Essentials for which support is ending. Windows Defender carries on regardless.
    The rest, ie non security elements, continue.
    All forms of Microsoft email - live, outlook, hotmail - continue as web-based and can be accessed from any web browser, or from within any mail client program like Thunderbird and many others.

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Windows Essentials 2012 is supported in Windows 7, 8 & 8.1.
    No.
    Outlook.com is webmail - you'll still need an email client like Microsoft Office Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, etc.
    Here's a long list of email clients.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_email_clients

FYI I use EssentialPIM as my email client for outlook.com and Yahoo mail.

4. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

@ Max -I knew about MSE but I am referring to the Windows Essentials which entails Windows Live Mail, Photography, live writer etc. They are 2 different entities.
    @Eldon - I saw some substitutes for Win 10 mail client. For now I will accept their app. Thank you for the list.
    I am not sure I understand your FYI note. I will look EssentialPIM up to get a better idea.
    I should be OK with the app for Win 10 as a client, and my live account as web based -correct?

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I think we know that.
    Windows Live Essentials, now Windows Essentials, in terms of the non-security part continues.
    MS mail - whether Hotmail, Live Mail or Outlook mail - continues as a web based mail like every other email account and provider. If you want to access and store it on your actual computer, you have a massive choice of programs.

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

EssentialPIM is a Personal Information Manager that includes an email client, contacts, notes, to do & calendar.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/essentialpim.html
    It supports Windows 10.
    A purposeful email client like Mozilla Thunderbird, while excellent, is overkill for most users. Likewise Microsoft Office Outlook, which I have.

7. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

MS is telling those with Essentials like WLM to witch to their app as it is fading away. There is a date by which i will not be supported or even exist.

8. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Yes, Eldon. I was reading about it during this interim. it reads very nicely. I am using the native mail app along with my live account for now and also giving in to the photography app as well.

9. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

If you are using Windows 10 it has its own mail client. Either use that or use a mail program of your choice.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-email

10. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

As I posted I am using the native mail app.
    Essentials was really good for mail and photography but I'm not the boss. ;)

11. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The same exists in Windows 10, if that's what you use, and I'm sure it exists in Windows 8.1 too.

12. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I likes 8.1 but 10 is an advancement so I got the ISO file from Tech Bemch as it is .WIM as opposed to the Windows .ERD. so I can work with all the DISM commands looking for "source".

13. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I have to confess I don't know what post #12 actually means in terms of a mail program.

14. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

There was a mention of a two different operating systems and I was simply extending my opinion as to why I used 10.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds