Need Partitioning Information

Discussion in 'Software' started by HumbleServant1611, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Hello Geeks,

So I have been putting a lot of thought in upgrading from Windows 8 to 10. Besides all the security issues, which after doing some research there are many programs that solve that issue. I wanted to partition my hard drive after doing a complete wipe. I have used Partition Wizard in the past but I'm not sure if It can be used via "Bootable USB." The reason I want to partition was so I can install Windows 10 OS on one partition and have the storage on the other partition. I was reading that this is the best way to setup an OS for top performance and if things happen, it lowers the risk of critical issues.

I wanted to know if there is a better partition software out there to complete this task than Partition Wizard?

Next, how would I go about configuring Windows 10 to operate on a separate partition while at the same time storing all data on the other partition?

Also how much space would I need to have the OS operate in an optimal performance?

Lastly, does this process actually improve performance and make it easier to trouble shoot problems?

Thanks in advance for the time it took to read this thread.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Install Windows and then partition the hard disc.
    What's the capacity of the hard disc?

Isuggest you have a look at Paragon Partition Manager.
    http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/

3. The HDD is 1TB. So If I installed it, I would just partition the extra space?

4. Eldon

You don't partition the extra space - you partition the disc. You choose a size for the second partition. 50 GB is enough for the partition where Windows is installed.

5. That's what I meant, the extra/free disc space. So let's say the OS takes 50Gb out of the 1TB I would partition the other 950GB to its own partition? If so, how would I configure the partitions to automatically store all data (non-system files) to the larger partition?

6. Eldon

Yes.
    Use 50 GB for Windows and 950 GB for your files. With Microsoft's non-stop updates, the 50 GB will fill up. Then you just resize the partition - the program takes from one partition and adds to the other.

Create a Library on the second partition for your documents, photos, etc. When you save those files you locate that library. Windows remembers the last save location.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds