Graphics Card Drivers Not Enabling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nexus_, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Well i used my main computer for a couple of years now its about 4 years old, and while over the coarse of the years i upgraded the hard drives, added more ram and other internals i pretty much never put a graphics card on it.

I never really needed one until now so i stuck with the intel HD graphics i had because they did the job for my tasks. But now i came across a great deal on a zotac 2 gb 750 ti ( powered only by the pci-e slot and uses only about 60 watts), so i bought one.

Well for some reason windows does not want to enable the graphics drivers. Upon starting windows i get a bunch of lines across my monitor then when it launches into windows i see some small lines on top and bottom of the monitor ( i am using the computer as graphics card as i type).

I already went to zotacs website and downloaded the latest driver for the graphics card my system shows that i installed it , and i already unistalled the intel hd graphics driver so it won't cause an issue. When i restarted the computer after installation i figured it would automatically enable and finish installing the driver but it didn't.

So thinking i did something wrong i unistalled all the files and re did everything again. Well i got the same result, the text and and icons right now look giant, and my displayport isn't working probably because of the drivers.

My power supply isn't an issue because i the card clearly boots and displays ( using it right now) it just doesn't enable the drivers at all through windows. I have an antec platinum 550 watt power supply so its not a cheap PSU.

This is a low powered card so i know my power isn't an issue but i rounded all all my internals and i should be pulling about or a little less than 300 watts.

I don't see any lines through the display in bios so i am thinking ( and hoping) it all has to do with enabling the drivers somehow.

I was planning on doing triple display with the video card if its possible. I own other computers with cards power by the PCI-E slot and also don't require molex connector and they don't make my pc start later.

This zotac video card on the other hand once i restart or cold start my computer it takes 15 seconds for the bios to do a beep to detect the card and another 5 to start booting into windows. While it is something i can definitely overlook with this added time my pc takes almost a minute to boot to windows now ( as opposed to 35 seconds)

Can someone please assist me with this?

2. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Forgot to add:
    Using windows 7 home premium 64 bit
    Desktop acer m3910
    I don't think it could be an issue regarding the bios otherwise it probably might not detect it at all?

In either case my bios version has not been updated at all since i bought the computer and i rather not mess with it since i hardly have problems with this pc

3. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

If it matters my pc was manufactured in 2011
    So its just a tad over 4 years old , i checked the website on acer and according to it i have the latest bios update and there has not been anymore since 2011.

I honestly don't think my pc is that old, but surfing the web i came to realize that probably isn't the issue seeing as i have seen people use this specific card on older dells or hp desktops that were manufactured in 09 or 2010 and a few i found even a bit older.

What is the issue in this case ? when windows starts it gets distorted and when it finally launches to my desktop it uses a generic vga adapter display , tried old and new drivers neither made a difference. The drivers on the cd actually made it worse but i managed to uninstall them through safe mode because they almost made me have an eye seizure in regular desktop.

Device manager shows video card driver as '' stopped because device has problems''.

Its possible the video card i have may be defective unfortunately i currently don't have access to my other computers to test if its just this specific motherboard.

If its defective i can just exchange it, but if i exchange for a brand new one and i get the same exact issue than i am basically back to square one and it will turn out that it wasn't a faulty video card.

[​IMG]

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

5. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

i forgot to mention i already tried that method and it didn't make a difference

Well i tried a different motherboard today and that itself has a problem of its own..
    I tried a foxconn h67s ver 2.0 motherboard and i get a black screen the video card on this one spins but i can't even see the bios splash screen or anything.

At least in the other acer computer i could boot to windows with a crappy vga default driver but on this foxconn motherboard i can't see anything even before launching into windows. The foxconn motherboard is running windows 8 though not that it matters because i can't see anything even in bios. When i plug my monitors back to the integrated graphics my display comes back and the video card fan is still spinning.

Tried messing with settings in bios as well and doing the obvious disabling onboard graphics and enabling pci that does nothing.

So i suppose this test on a different motherboard was not worth anything because this seperate computer seems to have a different issue with this card....

I will try 2 other computers in a day or two

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

That's a good idea.
    Then we'll know if it's the video card or not.

7. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

gave it anther go at the previous desktop i tried with windows 8 had same issue as the acer desktop actually exactly the same.

So i grabbed another desktop but disconnected the hard drive and put a spare one i had, i reinstalled windows 7 from scratch with no drivers on that spare drive ( so i wouldn't mess with my main operating system on the other drive) .

Thinking my other 2 desktops may have had some issues with other drivers i decided to try windows 7 with nothing loaded on it just to be sure. Well same problems the other 3 desktops had this one did as well even with a brand new fresh install of windows 7 with no other display drivers getting in the way.

Video card is detected by bios powers on, it proceeds to load to windows with the basic low quality drivers. Upon installing zotacs drivers it does nothing , tried different variations and nothing. The only difference i got when testing other drivers is that some of them make the display worse such as flashing.

If anyone has any suggestions i would be willing to test, however i spent quite enough time on this already i think i am just going to return this and get a different brand such as msi or evga .

8. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Update:
    I returned the zotac 750 ti and replaced it with an exact equivalent that is an MSI card ( both were the 2gb ddr5/OC versions).

i mmediately noticed a difference, first when i put the zotac 750 ti card on my pcs they would have 35-40 seconds for them to ''beep'' and when they finally would the screen would scrabble when it launched into windows.

Now i am not too much of a newbie when installing cards, i have installed over close to 2 dozen on various computers but and only like about 20% of them have i had to mess with additional settings in the bios and or uninstalling integrated drivers.

When i inserted the MSI card it beeped right away not 35-40 lag like the other card, then when it proceeded to luanch to windows i didn't get a fuzzy image. I didn't even bother disabling or uninstalling the intel drivers there was NO issue keeping them there. I simply downloaded the newest drivers for the card from the nvidia website installed the graphics and hd audio ( all other drivers were pointless for me and probably for others reading this as well) and that's was pretty much it. I restarted my pc and i am now posting this from my pc with the card working 100% fine.

Now for whoever may read this i have to advise that the MSI card has thicker plastic from the fan as well as it being longer than the zotac card, this seems like a problem for a mini itx case it barely fit in my micro atx case and its just a tiny bit away from hitting my memory sticks. For this reason if you are going to use this in an small mini itx case make sure to take this into account because it may not even fit instead the EVGA would be better suited..

For the price this card is definitely worth it i got mine for under $100 and it supports triple display fine, its seems to be above average for games too but in my case i got it for video rending/editing and other photo program editing. For the games i occasionally played i think even my intel HD graphics was overkill.

Kind of surprised at the function of the card for only drawing 60 watts and requiring no molex additional power.
    Chances are if you are having problems with your graphics card like this it may be faulty because it seems like it should be as simple as plugging it and installing the drivers. I myself didn't have to uninstall the intel integrated drivers nor did i have to mess with my bios settins simply putting the card inside the pci slot overrode previous settings for me. This may not be the case for you if you had previous external cards drivers installed or probably using a UEFI ( i am using bios).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds