Adobe Flash Player Problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by HumbleServant1611, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Hello geeks,

I searched the forum and was surprised that no one had any problems with Adobe Flash Player (AFP). I come to you now after finally being fed up with dealing with AFP. My problem is that after it runs for a period of time (10 Minutes or so) when I'm on the internet looking at video. It occasionally happens after long periods of time just serving the web. The memory gets extremely high, sometimes up to a 1-2 GBs which locks up the browser or the program crashes. Firefox gets up there as well, 500+ MBs. My question is, does this happen to other user's or is this just a malfunction in the program? I've always had problems with this program can anyone shed some light on this issue? It would be much appreciated.

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Use the official Adobe Flash Player Uninstaller, (FIRST link, NOT 'beta' link), restart your system, run CCleaner > Cleaner and CCleaner > Registry > scan > fix all issues
    Now download and install the latest stable release version and see how that works.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Do you really mean Adobe Flash Player or do you mean the flash plugin for Firefox that is listed as Shockwave Flash under the plugin menu and currently is v 20.0.0.286 from 19 Jan 2016?
    They are not the same thing. http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer.html

I see sites using the term "adobe flash player" when they are referring to an Internet Explorer activex addon or a non-IE browser plugin so it is easy to get confused.

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Firefox > Tools > Addons > Plugins
    Shockwave FLASH is Adobe FLASH PLAYER (current version is 286)
    Shockwave for DIRECTOR is Adobe SHOCKWAVE PLAYER (current version is 183)

5. Yes it is the one used online.

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The browser plug ins only appear after an install, so I have no idea what your answer means.

7. The Plug-in is installed but in the Task Manager it appears as Adobe Flash Player 20.0 r0 (32-bit) when running. I can take an screen shot if you'd like.

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

At the very top of the Tools > Add ons > Plug ins page it has a link for checking the status - when you click that it will show a new page with the actual version number of all plug ins. The latest shockwave Flash should be 286, and shockwave for Director is 183.

9. This is the file name that I have "NPSWF32_20_0_0_286.dll" so it is the latest version but is it the latest stable version? What is the Director version you are reffering to? Is it better then Shockwave?

10. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes.
    Here's the download if you want it. But you don't need it.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/shockwaveplayer.html

11. plodr

Task Manager doesn't show flash running on my computer. I have flash set on click to activate.
    If you load lots of tabs in your browser and flash is always working, of course the usage will go through the roof.
    Since I have it set to click to activate the flash content on 15 tabs is not loaded until I go to a particular tab and click to let flash do its thing.

Eldon likes this.
  12. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

The full status of plug ins in Firefox (including how they are set to activate) is in Tools > Addons > Plugins as already advised in posts #4 and 8.
    If the OP is looking in the system Task Manager, that's the wrong place.

13. plodr

I was merely explaining that if Task manager shows Flash and as he stated
    he can resolve this issue by NOT having flash on all the time. If flash isn't on and 15 tabs are open then flash usage will be zero.
    He has to look at Task manager to see how much usage flash is taking up.

14. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Yes you are right Plodr, if the OP sets the Firefox Flash plug in to 'ask to activate', then it will never run or use any memory unless they click 'allow > 'allow now' just for specific content on specific sites. If the OP leaves it set to 'always activate' then they will have memory usage issues.

15. Ok, I will change the permission on it and have it "Ask for Activation" instead of "Always Active". Thanks for all your help, MaxTurner, Plodr, and Eldron. The attached image is what it looks like with "Always Active".

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds