SUMo : Keep your software up to date

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kyle_Katarn, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Command Sergeant Major

SUMo - 4.3.3 (Released 2016-02-08)
    ==================================

http://www.kcsoftwares.com

2. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I have Win x 10 and use Chrome. I used to get FileHippo to work but now it does not seem able to get its own definitionsat the very beginning. It was great when working. I have Ad block Plus on and use SpywareBlaster, Defender and MBAM with its Exploit.
    Is anyone else having a problem getting FileHippo update manager to load its definitions?
    Peter

3. Kyle_Katarn

Does SUMo work on your system ?

4. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I stated, in a n other thread, that I check my apps manually then run Secunia for vulnerabilities and also FileHippo app manager which now can download definition files to Win 10 x 64. I am posting here ab/c I received a notification.

5. Kyle_Katarn

ok. should you like to test SUMo (which does better than FH :) ) please let me know !

6. Kyle_Katarn

SUMo - 4.3.4 (Released 2016-02-28)

7. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Once I downloaded SUMo and all sorts of "stuff" came in to my machine. I thought I was watching the prompts but must have missed something but it was tough to remove.

8. Kyle_Katarn

Did you install regular or lite ?
    Lite has NO extra sponsor and regular has only one, which is easy to decline and even to remove if accepted.
    Would you please contact me by PM in order to know more ?

Thanks !

9. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I installed the Lite version. Because I had trouble I would appreciate it if someone else could give it a try before I do it again Thank you

10. Kyle_Katarn

This link provides a 100% free of all sponsors and 3rd parties installer : http://www.kcsoftwares.com/files/sumo_lite.exe

11. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

peter, I use the Lite version. It's the best updater I know of. It does not install anything else, just leaves a couple of shortcuts on your desktop which can be deleted.

12. Kyle_Katarn

13. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

I just did the lite install. Got the 2 links on desktop for drivers and kkleaner. No 3_rd party and no startup shows in ccleaner any different than before. Ran it . The overlays seem to cover each other up on the desktop but I got it straightened out. That may be a little confusing to some. It checked 455 unit settled on 177 and 43 needed updates. I have some software that I purposely use older versions and those mostly were not listed or ignored or showed as updated so there is some error involved. Mind you that was out of 455. Was quick and the hit to internet time was almost not noticed. Didn't try any updates as I keep most versions the way I like.

14. Kyle_Katarn

Thanks !
    Any improvement you'd suggest so far ?

15. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Might be my color scheme or contrast - the overlays on top of each other blended together too much. Once each section completed it's task it was more apparent to what was onscreen.

16. Kyle_Katarn

Weird... i'll look at this ! Any other user having the same comment ?

17. Earthling

No issues here. My understanding is that the program determines the latest available versions by extracting the information from its user's systems. if none of the users are using a particular software it won't appear when you run a scan. Just my perception after using it for a couple of years.

18. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I just installed SUMo and I am impressed. It's quite fast!
    And I have no issues with the program other than some of the uninstall files are shown as being missing.

19. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

As you requested I followed your link and installed the lite version with no issues.
    It did a fast scan and revealed Secunia and NVidia were i need of updating. I did Secunia - it takes you to a few sites where you look to find the place to download which is not hard. I installed the new version of Secunia which itself did not update as it should have.

I wonder if I should update the NVidia 3 updates as I am not a gamer. Perhaps I will go to the NVidia control panel and check there too.

Your Sumo seems to be a very good program and thank you.
    Peter

20. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I will use your link again b/c every time I look for the lite version it is with accompanying clutter. It is hard to find a SUMo download lite that is straightforward.

21. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

22. Kyle_Katarn

Thank you all !!!!

23. Kyle_Katarn

Thanks !

24. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Bernie - I have never seen a better functioning program. I did have an incident where it said NVidia needed updating but even the NVidia control panel said "NO".
    Finally, I downloaded a feature of NVidia called 'Experience' which analyzed my PC and said SUMo was correct and once 'Experience' installed the updates SUMO was satisfied. It catches everything.
    Peter

25. Kyle_Katarn

thanks !!

26. Earthling

I always try first to get any required updates right here at MG and if not then from the author's site. I don't let any third party software (such as Secunia PSI) install any updates other than their own.

27. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

In the NVidea situation SUMo was right but I could find no place that had the 2 updates so I used Experience a feature of NVIDEA to find them for me.
    I understand what you are doing, however. It odd safer that way.
    Where in Major Geeks do do you get specific updates? I was not aware MG's had that feature.
    Peter

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  28. Earthling

Just d/load and install the latest version.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/

29. Kyle_Katarn

And SUMo can help to warn you that you can go to MG.
    Would you be interested in a link to MG on SUMo's pages ?

30. Eldon

That's a great idea.

31. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I need a little explanation as usual Bernie. Do you download and install the MG page your link takes me to? How do I coordinate MG and SUMo?
    I noticed the updater page does not include Windows 10 as I was about to download and install it..

32. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

The updater page dos not include Windows 10 as I mentioned. can it be used with it?.

33. Earthling

SUMo doesn't do any updating at all peter, it just tells you the status of each of your programs. For each one you decide to update you need to find a download site and install the latest version. Naturally I use MG for this whenever possible. I have no idea what you mean by downloading and installing the MG page or by co-ordinating it with SUMo. You just use the search box on the MG page to find, download and install the program you want. That's it. I know there is a Get Update button but I never use it myself - I prefer to decide where I get my updates from, but there's no reason you shouldn't use it if you want.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  34. Eldon

35. Earthling

Possible I guess, we'd need peter to explain exactly what he's trying to do. If Kyle can add an MG download link for each each scanned program I would find that useful but just a shortcut to the MG site wouldn't be particularly useful unless the MG owners would like it.

36. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Eldon you are right. I know how to use SUMo and go to the respective sites to update. I thought Bernie was saying their was a link or correlation between SUMo and the MG's updater page which would open when one clicked on update from SUMo. That would be great.
    Eldon, I took your advice, created a fresh CD and deleted the office folder -too much extra clutter in the machine regardless of space. I sit on PC decisions these days instead of jumping to a task. I have a Tech Bench .WIM stick and hate to buy Windows but if I build that will be the case. Too bad you cannot carry over but the servers would know. I paid for the upgrade and Essentials which was dropped so it should be 120 instead of 200. 40+40=80 from 200.
    Linux is looking better.

37. Eldon

Earthling, Kyle could just add a link over here.
    SUMo_Update.jpg

Don't get me started... :D

38. Earthling

Sure,,,in fact it's very odd it's never been there when you think about it, especially as we often advise ppl not to use some of the sites he has provided search links for.

39. Eldon

Yes, it is strange.
    But I think he's working on adding MG to the list of download sites.

40. Kyle_Katarn

MG is added as mirror for almost all my products on download page.
    Currently MG does not "promote" SUMo because it has its own updater (~competitor). Are you finding SUMo better ?
    I'll talk again with MG management and i'd be pleased to link to MG when looking to download updates :)

41. Eldon

Yes.
    And that's great because the owners go to great lenghts to test all software hosted by MajorGeeks.
    That's why I recommend MajorGeeks to family & friends who want a safe download.
    Unfair question for this forum!
    That's a good idea. Then they can download from MajorGeeks, and they know the download is safe :cool:.
    But, that's for the owners to decide.

42. Kyle_Katarn

43. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

B/c I used SUMO I want to say 2 things;
    1-It ran well for a day but then began flagging Nvidea and 2 other apps[I wish I could recall]. I even went to the sites and there were no updates. I pursed vigorously for a few days then uninstalled it for another app.
    I have since uninstalled many of Nvideas updates as I am not gamer. i just wanted to see if SUMo would be satisfied but it was not.
    2-If the owners of MGs want to establish a direct link to updates with integrity I would be all for it b/c I use their downloads all the time to be safe.
    I have no right to complain as I don't pay but thought you would like to receive information.

44. Kyle_Katarn

thanks for feedback !
    Regarding updates SUMo notifies for but that you don't necessarily care about : you car use "ignore" or "skip this update" features of SUMo to hide them

45. Kyle_Katarn

SUMo - 4.3.5 (Released 2016-03-13)

46. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I did use the ignore and skip - thank you. I think the program has a lot of promise. It worked well on my wife's laptop but it did not get along with my desktop.

47. Kyle_Katarn

OK !

48. Kyle_Katarn

Eldon and LauraR like this.
  49. Eldon

50. Kyle_Katarn

OK, so back working on next release :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds