Real Advantages Of Sli/crossfire?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Speculant, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

Isn't the only real point of SLI/Crossfire to buy two top of the line GPUs so you can have graphics power that is more than what's possible with a single GPU of the current generation? As far a price goes, I figured it would always be cheaper to just buy a single better performing GPU than two lesser performing GPUs. The only other reason I can find that someone would want to have SLI/Crossfire in their system is so they could purchase a lesser performing GPU now and then wait four-five years for the price of anther identical GPU to hit rock bottom and buy it for SLI/Crossfire. Does anyone here have two midrange to high-midrange performance cards in SLI/Crossfire installed in your system (for example, two GTX 960 cards instead of a single 970, etc)? How do you defend your purchase, and why did you not purchase a single higher-performance card?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

No on SLI/Crossfire and never really thought of going down that route in the past, reason part in what you mention in that I just bought a high end card, but I can see the plus side of SLI in two mid range cards that are combined cheaper than a high end card, may just give a boost to gaming performance in that card 1 can be rendering an image and card 2 can be pre-rendering the next image kindo of like RAID0 for HDDs. Maybe 5yrs back this was a great route to take but with GPU tech coming on so much, is it worth it now, when you need to factor in possible larger PSU, case has to fit two easily, extra heat generated.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/532913/sli/geforce-sli-technology-an-introductory-guide/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds