Seagate Backup Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by snapper, Jan 26, 2016.

1. snapper

snapper Private First Class

Greetings:) Seagate Basic Question please: Thanks to 'General Tim' - I use a Seagate external HD for back-up works fine. Just purchased a 2nd (back-up) HD (HP) and want to back-up on my Seagate 2TT. Went through all support forums, tried the manual back-up options, and still not able to direct my back-up to newly created folders. Again the support forums were less than friendly in trying to simply ask "How to back up 2 systems on Seagate". Can someone please assist when time permits. Thank you!

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Not sure I understand. Do you want to copy what is on the 2TB Seagate external to an HP external? Doesn't sound like a good idea.
    What are you using as a backup program? What version of Windows are you running?

I own 6 external hard drives. All are Western Digital and come in various sizes. I rotate the drives so the same things are not stored on two drives. Rather than backups, I do monthly images of four Win 7 computers.

snapper likes this.
  3. snapper

I have two computers (desk tops) using Windows 7. My main systems is working fine and I back up regularly to Seagate External 2TT. The 2nd desktop is new, in the process of setting up. Want to use my existing Seagate 2TT (plenty of storage avail) to back up the new, 2nd computer. Tried to read the manual, help et al on how to create a separate file for Comp B since the Comp A files will be over-ridden when I back up. Just trying to learn how to do so. Aside from a boring 'dashboard' Seagate has been working fine. T/y for your quick response. PS love the purple slippers!

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

snapper...

Sounds to me like you would like to set up a network share and share the 2 TB drive, so that you can back up to that drive. I'm not a network expert, as I have always been afraid to turn local sharing on due to the potential for malware spread. I test alot of software.

Is the new computer on your home network already (i.e. can you see it in the "Network" folder?

I ran across this below, but I don't know if MS ever corrected the problem or not. It suggests that you may have to jump through hoops with Windows 7 with passwords to be able to use the MS backup software:

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...twork-share-windows-7?forum=w7itpronetworking

There is some indication that other non-MS software might be able to do the job without problems, however.

If you are attempting to use a network drive share to store backups, perhaps plodr or another here can assist further. I was mostly just interested in the topic and ran across the thread above, which seems pertinent information, if a little bit dated...

snapper likes this.
  5. snapper

No networking, just 2 separate HD not connected, that I want to back up, externally. Think I need to conduct some bench research before I ask any more questions. It is possible, the Seagate will 'id' a different HD after plugging in. This will determine a better solution. Now, the Seagate has a black drive Icon in the dashboard. Curious to see if I plug in the 2nd HD, if another 'black icon' will appear. If so, this will solve the issue. Will return w/ this data by days end. Would like to avoid having two separate External drives (power and desk space). T/y you AtlBo.

6. AtlBo

YW...

OK, so you just want to move the 2 TB drive from one PC to the other? If so, you just need a space to place the 2 TB drive where you can mount the drive inside the new PC. Then it's just a matter of attaching the power and data cables.

Can your new PC hold 2 HDs?

If not, there are options such as a hard drive docks that will connect to your PC via USB. That makes switching back and forth between PCs easier. Something like this:

[​IMG]

snapper likes this.
  7. snapper

Appreciate your quick response & suggestions. <OK, so you just want to move the 2 TB drive from one PC to the other? > No - I just want to back up Comp A & Comp B, which are not connected, to the same Seagate Ext HD. As it stands now, my HD (Comp A) backup goes to the Seagate 'backup' folder. When I attempt to back-up Comp B, it will over-ride Comp A data. Seagate's directory will not allow me to change back-up destination, or create a separate FOLDER on the EXT drive. I am not attempting to switch back and forth between PC's. In fact Comp B is my emergency system, in case Comp A fails. (work comp). I will rarely use Comp B. T/y

8. AtlBo

snapper...

Sorry, my mistake.

If the Seagate program won't do it for you, have you considered another backup program, like Macrium? Macrium will give you the ability to create a separate folder for your backups. You may run into some difficulties creating the restore disk. Just post back if you choose to try Macrium and run into this issue. The native Windows backup (imaging) program might work for what you are trying to do, also.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/macrium_reflect_free_edition.html

snapper likes this.
  9. snapper

All good 'AtlBo' thank you for your efforts. But my question has not been answered. Don't know if Seagate will not do it for me, have not had enough data to attempt. (Have not had a chance to try new system for separate system ID, see post at 12:57 pm, still at work).

Don't want Macrium, or XCellon. Just want to know how to back up two different systems on same Seagate EXT Hard Drive. Thinkin... I need to repost my question. Do I start a new thread?

The question is "Does anyone use a Seagate External Drive for Back-up"? If so, are you able to back up two different systems w/out wiping out the others files. If so, how? Should I post a new threat, please advise? Thank you for your time:)

10. AtlBo

No...you don't need a new thread. Someone will come along who can help.

I did find this:

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/209011en?language=en_US

Sounds like Seagate wants to charge users to backup more than one computer. I'm not sure about this, but maybe the article will help? If you look in the list, do you see in the list the exact software you are using. Next to that it looks like it explains if you have to pay.

I have never seen/heard of this before...o_O

snapper likes this.
  11. snapper

Your the Man! Thxs!! Been juggling this issue while working today along w/ other IT issues. At this point I wish I could simply email the Seagate folks - but they don't provide opportunity for this. However I am annoyed enough to locate the Presidents email and ask him :mad:. (aka - snapper) .... I am impressed w/ your taking the time to provide a link, which I will read after much needed chow. Also Need to attempt a B/Up w/ second system manually to see how I can manipulate a safe back up. Will get back to you w/ those results. Thank you!!

AtlBo likes this.
  12. snapper

13. plodr

Note to self: don't ever use Seagate's backup program!
    With 4 Win 7 computers imaged monthly and an XP done about twice a year, Seagate would charge me 4 additional times. That is AFTER I bought the hard drive!

snapper likes this.
  14. snapper

OK - have the answer. Think I owe you a couple 'Cold Ones' AtlBo!

Data/POC: Seagate Phone Support # 800-732-4283 lead me to a good man 'Vincent H. (for Honorable) who explained everything free of charge, when he could have charged. Bottom Line, if I was paying attention to 'Plodlr' this morning - I would have figured out - my idea is a very BAD idea.

Safe systems procedures = separate external Hard drive. And you were trying to get me there all along, via other options. Hm hmm. I am most grateful for your time and assistance. If you head on over to the Neptune Bar & Gill, I will be happy to pick up the tab. ;)
    Cheers!!

15. snapper

Plodr - Thank you. (Windows Version 7) Now I know another program/solution is in order. I will resume 'Western Digital' tomorrow. Monthly images, hmm. Sounds to be the correct b/up plan, if YOU use it:) OK burnt out from the job, heading home to dinner. Thx again!

16. snapper

Checked out Western Digital site, t/y. For a Dell HD (win 7) and basic systems, can you please suggest a model you are happy with?

17. plodr

I have two 500 GB units. The first one says nothing. The second says My Passport.
    I have two 1TB units. One says My Passport and the other says My Passport Ultra.
    I have one 2TB unit that says My Passport Ultra.

So something like this
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3FA36D7210
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P03HJ4076

I'm afraid to go for 3TB because I'm not sure all the computers would recognize it. We have computers with 2K, XP, 7, and linux.

I'll also add, I never set up or use the software WD puts on the drives. I was able to remove the "extras" on all but one of the hard drives.

snapper likes this.
  18. snapper

Thank you 'plodr' - you have given me the bits needed to go ahead. I took good not of the 'T' size and other preferences. Appreciate your time & Have a smooth weekend:)

19. plodr

With no snow in the forecast, the weekend looks to be way better than last weekend! Thanks.

snapper likes this.
  20. snapper

1. You are not kidding about no snow. Had about 3 ft in my area, NJ coastline. Warm temps eliminating the need to keep shoveling.

2. As mentioned trying to set up a second Hard Drive system (for back-up). Been one tooth pulling experience after another. Had a problem MB Anti-Exploit on system #1 this week

("! Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit has blocked an exploit attemptApp: IE (and add-ons)Protection Layer: Application HardeningProtection Technique: 'Anti-Exploit' fingerprinting attempt detected).

Hunted on the forums to find others having same problem since last Fall. Have a purchased version of MB & MB Anti-Exploit and Sent the usual email request. Rec'd a ineffective response from their support team - which after 7 attempts, again went no where. They would not provide a working MB diagnostic link, only a MS Word link on how to 'un-hide' hidden files. :confused: Swear the person responding was a Bot. Cust assistance with MB otherwise has always been great.

Searched web for Cust support number and found a group impersonating MB support and creating serious issues.

Searched MG, and found complaints about poor cust support, but nothing on this particular issue. Saw you attempted to assist others in MB questions.

Have you heard of any issues or reports about a MB and new company policies? Made a few calls to industry folks who also report, things started changing w/ them since last Fall. Either MB Anti-Exploit has changed their code, or something else is awry w/ program.

I know I should start a new thread (sorry Mods), but brain cells are sinking fast and had a hard time trying to remember how to do so.

If you have a moment - thank you (Cheers):)

21. AtlBo

snapper, did you by chance add a shortcut for IE to your desktop or to your task bar to use for running IE. I saw a reference to a problem someone using MBAE was having with shortcuts. The solution was to navigate to this path:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer

Right click on iexplore.exe and select "Send to" and then "Desktop (Shortcut)"...

Here is the thread:

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-s...-anti-exploit-popup-when-opening-browser.html

snapper likes this.
  22. snapper

Afternooon:) Yes I did on Comp #1. Currently trying to set-up Comp #2, installed Anti-Exploit last night, and interestingly having a hard time creating the desk-top icon using the 'send to method'.

BTW - have been using MB A/Ex for a couple of years on Comp #1 with no issue on the 'fingerprinting' message. This just started. Will pursue your link, and check out. Keep you posted on my findings. (t/y)

23. snapper

OK performed as you suggested above w/ the IE short-cut on Desktop. Read article - this was not my difficulty w/ MB A/Ex. The 'Fingerprinting message' occurred when I attempted a MSDoc or other uplink. MB A/Ex blocked the uplink. Had to monetarily turn off MB A/Ex to upload.

NOTE!! After creating a desktop IE icon, pop-ups just began. (hmm and ugh oh...) I turned up IE pop-up blocker to high. Thank you,

24. AtlBo

snapper...

OK, so your main problem is uploading documents to online storage? I took a look at some threads on the MBAE board at Malwarebytes, and this seems to be a little bit of a known issue, especially if you were attempting an upload from the desktop.

Here is some information, although it's not the EXACT same issue. User was attempting to attach a picture located on the desktop to a forum link I think:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/173984-fingerprinting-fp/page-2

I recommend naviating from the thread to the MBAE forum and trying a post there. I'm not sure, but the fix for this may be very specific to your system and which software you are running and so on...

snapper likes this.
  25. snapper

Just a follow up thank you - this issue has been remedied. Went w/ the (2TB unit that says My Passport Ultra). Cheers :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds