Got A Favourite Book/author?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by legalsuit, Jan 31, 2016.

1. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

When "Outlander" (author Diana Gabaldon) came on TV last year I became too impatient for the following week's episode. I loved the way it starts from 1946, how the heroine accidently ends up in 1743 and how her adventures fast pace throughout. So I bought the book.

Then to my delight discovered she had consequence series with the same heroine and hero which she wrote between 1991 through to 2014. Bought those books too, including the offshoot series on a couple of her characters and devoured those as well (talk about work/life balance...just no sleep with so much reading.)

Do you have a favourite(s) book/author?

2. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

I am a avid reader. For years I had little time to read so I am playing catch-up with Best Sellers. I pick up books at a used book store for next to nothing. I read mostly Suspense, Historical, and Mystery. Some of the authors I read are John Grisham, David Baldacci, Patricia Cornwell, Jim Patterson, Catherine Coulter's FBI Series, and I like really old classical books.

3. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I was really into the Gabaldon series, but completely lost interest somewhere in the middle of (I think) the 5th book (whichever one it is where her daughter goes back in time to join her). Haven't seen the TV show since it's on a channel I don't get.

I typically read 4-8 books a week, depending on a lot of factors. As such, I tend to read almost anything no matter how good or bad it ends up being. But I do "meet" a great number of new authors that way! Usually I grab 10 or so books at the library, judging purely on their titles if I think they sound interesting. I also hit the library sale every fall, where on the last day you can fill a paper grocery bag for $3.00.

Favourite authors (as defined by my buying their books new) are: Christopher Moore, Carl Hiaasen, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, David Baldacci, Tim Dorsey, Tami Hoag, Iris Johansen, John Sandford, Kay Hooper, Jocelynn Drake, Joe Hill, Joseph Finder, Robin Cook, John Gilstrap, and Lincoln Child.

I used to like James Patterson, but he churns out so many books now I can't keep up, and they're all interchangeable. I do still read the Alex Cross novels as they come out, and will pick up others if I see them, but it's been at least a decade since I've gone out of my way to buy a new one... probably about the same time he started publishing 10+ a year. I have, however, discovered some "new" authors because they're his supposed co-authors - who I believe are actually writing using his formulaic plot lines, then he slaps his name on them as they go out the door. Andrew Gross, Michael Ledwidge, and Maxine Paetro are names I look for at the library, but haven't purchased any.

legalsuit likes this.
  4. Anon-9aee479f8f

Someone gave me a stack of Iris Johansen and Dean Koontz books I have not started reading yet. As I mentioned I am way behind on Best Sellers so the Jim Patterson books I have are mostly his earlier work. I am always looking for some new author to read but I am not into science fiction, harlequin romance type books, paranormal, horror, and some thrillers have to much blood and gore for my taste.

legalsuit likes this.
  5. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Similar tastes.

I have a wide range of reading interests and you guys have certainly given me books/authors to list for future reads!

I enjoy thrillers, no matter what period they fall under:

· John Grisham – hmmm…films made from some of his books which I enjoyed. Must list his “A time to Kill” for future reading.

· David Baldacci – enjoyed Clint Eastwood’s movie of “Absolute Power”

· Jim Patterson – I believe there was a TV series based on his book “Zoo”

· Catherine Coulter's FBI Series – not familiar but will check it out.

I also enjoy contemporary real life stories - e.g. “No Easy Day” by Mark Owen (Navy Seal mission that killed Osama Bin Laden) .

Wouldn’t worry missing TV series if you’ve read the book. Each episode appears to cover a chapter (hence my buying the book).

Wow! You’re quite a reader, I’m impressed and quite a range as well.

If I really like the author and book, I will buy it (new/pre-loved) so have an extensive library where down the track will re-read a book.

I read a lot (soft and hardcopy library use here is an ongoing requirement for work related reading/research). So whenever I can, I lose myself for some “R&R” when reading for leisure and Gabaldon covers such a range (adventure, spy, thriller, history, etc.) she has satisfied my taste buds when fitting in leisure reading time and is up there as a favourite author.

Not familiar with some of your authors, so you’ve certainly given me some “food for thought” to check them out.
    • Stephen King – like some of his writings.
    • Iris Johansen - enjoyed “The Killing Game”
    • Carl Hiaasen – only familiar with one of his books,
    • Kay Hooper – know I’ve read/seen something of hers as she covers many of my interests, but can’t think presently…
    Thanks for that guys...

Cheers

LS

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

legalsuit likes this.
  7. Anon-9aee479f8f

If you like spy stories or books about the CIA give try Jack Kassinger. Jack is a retired Senior Intelligence Officer with the CIA so his books give you real insite to CIA operations.

meercat1 likes this.
  8. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Ever since I taught myself to read when I was four. I wasn't an only child, but I was considerably younger than my sisters and there really weren't kids my age in the neighbourhood, so I spent a lot of time with books.

Me, too! I keep trying to pare down my library, but it just keeps growing. I couldn't even begin to count, but they number in the hundreds. I've got 12 book cases of various sizes full, plus lord only knows how many in bags and boxes or piled on my nightstand or next to my bed or recliner. :D

I tend toward horror, suspense, mystery, spy, cheesy sci-fi (I don't like actual science-y sci-fi as I don't like thinking that much), supernatural, political intrigue, etc. Probably not many on my list would be good for you.

After thinking for a while...
    Tom Clancy (the real novels, not those Op Center things), Robert Ludlum (the real ones actually written by him, not that schlock they're peddling under his name after his death), JRR Tolkein, Piers Anthony's Xanth series, Kat Richardson, Graham Masterson, John Farris, and James Michener.

The only books I cannot stand are romances. Even books that aren't but have romance tend to get on my nerves after a while (I'm looking at you, Tami Hoag ;)), but they're not bad. I will never forget the day I ran across Nicholas Sparks, having NO idea who he was. I was just thinking there was a whole shelf of books by this guy, so if I liked him I should win. I finished the one I picked up, but gagged the whole time. It was worse than Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey! [​IMG]

9. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

10. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

What genre of historical do you enjoy?

My tastes also go into biographies...particularly the artists from the Renaissance forward...

11. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Enjoy spy stories in just about any century...(got the taste when at school we had Emma Orczy classic Scarlet Pimpernel set during the Reign of Terror following the start of the French Revolution. Still have that book!).

Tend to enjoy American CIA stories too...fascinating stuff.

I'm certainly not running out of reading ideas with everyone's feedback:cool:

12. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Dad (for economy reasons) gave me his books on Greek mythology and Grimms' Fairytales (the original versions, not the cutesy ones of today) which I enjoyed reading.

I have libraries of books in each room except the bathroom (i.e. Dunny; Lav; Loo; John; WC; Throne; :eek: whatever you want to call it - dislike books in this area. Is that a roar of indignant protest I hear from the opposite sex?).

Have become quite handy at assembling flat packs into library shelves.;)

Haven't been able to acquire a taste for sci-fi.

Except for these two, not familiar with your other writers. You do have a range.

[​IMG] Agree that there are some pretty terrible romance novels out there...The "Twilight" ones are ok (I'm not a fan). Didn't read the series. Saw the movies on TV.

As for "50 Shades of Grey", other books out there seem to have slipped under the radar in comparison when comparing content. I was interested in looking at the Grey character analytically with a "Why" question as to his make up. The Trilogy sorted that out. Having now read all three and understanding Grey based on his childhood and adolescent background (should have seen that coming...duh!), this is the only set of books I'm happy to give away. ;)

13. Anon-9aee479f8f

I like things like Historical Fiction, American History, Appalachian History, WWII, Civil War, also American Indian.
    Probably why I like the Classics because of the history told in a good story.

14. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

For thrillers Raymond Chandler is wonderful with 'The Long Goodbye' being hard to beat.
    For a British writer of the current generation with quite a strong 'Chandleresque' feel to his writing Philip Kerr's 'Bernie Gunther' mysteries are a cracking read.
    For a wonderful insight into the observations of women in early 20th century Southern US society the works of Carson McCullers and Flannery O'Connor are moving reads. O'Connor didn't write a lot and she died quite young but if all she had ever written was the collection of short stories titled 'A Good Man is Hard to Find' her place in literature would have been cemented with that alone.
    There is an incredible wealth of writing from people who went into exile from their home countries and one of my favourites is the Czech writer Milan Kundera. All his works are excellent but one of his best must be 'The Unbearable Lightness of Being' which, in 1988, was adapted for the film screen by the US director Philip Kaufman in 1988 with a fantastic cast. A great read and a beautiful film.

15. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Ditto.
    I find stories of the American Indian and American history fascinating. Another reason I enjoy Gabaldon's books is because she covers early American history, its links and independent fighting with England; conspiracy theories. She mingles fiction with actual American/English/French/Scottish historical figures, events and the involvement and interaction of her characters with such figures.

16. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Haven't read any of the books you've mentioned, but am familiar with some of the works via the film media (another area I enjoy, especially the classics). Our Bill Collins is an Australian TV presenter of classic movies, so I've seen some of the authors' stories adapted to film:
    • Raymond Chandler: Robert Gould in "The Long Goodbye"; Good ol' Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart in "The Big Sleep"; Alfred Hitchcock's presentation of "Stranger on a Train" to mention a few.
    • Philip Kerr's 'Bernie Gunther sounds like an interesting character and I also like that era for a story line.
    • O'Connor: "A Good Man is Hard to Find" - not familiar with her works. Must check it out.
    • Milan Kundera: seen and enjoyed film adaption 'The Unbearable Lightness of Being"

17. Anon-9aee479f8f

Widders's Landing: Life & Love on the Kentucky Frontier by Eddie Price

legalsuit likes this.
  18. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Like period stories. Gonna check out my bookstore for this one. Might even end up at the library to see if they have a copy!

19. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

I'm inserting extracts from your Post here because I didn't acknowledge you in my earlier reply. Instead I'd gone directly into my spiel.

Apologies.

Cheers

LS

20. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

That's OK thanks.
    I'm mostly disappointed with film adaptations of books but I have to say the film of Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being was absolutely superb.
    One other film adaptation, that was the very first film adaptation made of Thomas Harris' 'Red Dragon' - it was actually called 'Manhunter' - ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhunter_(film) ) with a mostly not too famous cast but directed by the genius Michael Mann. It is one of the finest films of its kind I've ever seen and does the book very well.
    The later adaptation, and actually called 'Red Dragon' struck me as utter tripe.
    Actually all of Thomas Harris' books about serial killers are fantastic writing but shamefully badly transferred to film. Every film but 'Manhunter' was in my view like seeing a different story. The book 'Hannibal' for example is a masterpiece yet watching the awful film you wouldn't recognise the book if you'd read it.

NB: If anyone likes non-fiction about slightly difficult subjects, eg Serial Killers, the work called 'Happy Like Murderers' by Gordon Burn is an incredible piece of research but written in a totally captivating style. It examines the histories of Fred & Rosemary West who were finally arrested in 1994.

legalsuit likes this.
  21. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Must agree here. Sometimes I do the reverse and get the book after seeing a movie because I felt something was missing/lost either in adaption or editing. ("The Reader" Bernhard Schlink's 1995 novel is one example - found the unknown I sought after reading.)

"Silence of the Lambs" was the first film I saw of Thomas Harris' Hannibal Hector. "Manhunter" I saw later on TV - enjoying both movies. Sequels I later saw were on TV ("Hannibal Rising", "Red Dragon" "Hannibal") lost my interest. I felt somehow they were lacking. I guess as you stated "shamefully badly transferred to film'.

I'm kinda particular when it comes to serial killer type thrillers. For me there's a fine line between brilliantly outlining an intelligent plot of players and just blood and gore.

I guess the two movies I enjoyed were because of the mind games played.

22. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

23. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Appears your Widder's Landing is only available in the USA. I'll check around some more including libraries when I get a chance.

Thanks again.

Cheers

LS

24. Anon-9aee479f8f

I barely made it through the movie Silence of the Lambs and have no interest in reading the book. It was creepy. A few years ago someone gave me the book In Cold Blood by Truman Capote and I have not attempted to read it because as I mentioned
    I don't like a book or movie to have to much blood and gore. So I'm adding books about serial killers to my list of no reads.:eek:

Hope you enjoy the book.

25. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Not everyone's taste. Leisure reading should be enjoyable.

I guess I must have developed a taste as a kid when I was a fan of Scotland Yard's Stories. Much was left to the imagination as one followed the stories.

Silence of the Lambs
    for me did that. I look to good, intelligent thrillers if they make you "mentally work" as you go through the story while trying to get around the mind games.

I do go for lighter tastes when leisure reading rather than too dark a flavour. There's enough horror in the news nowadays. But I leave a door open if there's a good one to read.

26. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

A good thread. I just read through it. Some good suggestions in here. Like Sgt. Tibbs, I love going to the library if I can to get the books I want. Plus, they are now utilizing OverDrive which allows you to get books on your kindle or other digital devices. They are just like the actual books, though, where they only have one or two copies.

I tend to read lighter books since for me they are for my enjoyment. There's too much depressing and bad stuff in the world for me to want to struggle through reading books that depress me. I read the news for that.

Unlike others in here, I love sci fi and fantasy and I also throw a romance book in there every once in a while. I can not ever be without a book.

I just discovered an author named Seanan McGuire and have read one book after another of....I think about 8 so far. Typically I read books that are series. I love Illona Andrews. They (a husband/wife team) are one of my favorites. Stephen King is another of my favorites. I love his recent series that starts with Mercedes Man. Its a bit different than most of his as its more a thriller/mystery.

A couple of books I would definitely suggest are Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.
    I also love The Girl on the Train (speaking of trains :D)

legalsuit likes this.
  27. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Must tell a friend with ARMD (Age Related Macular Degeneration ) who regrets her restriction on what she can read unless she can get something with large lettering. But if she can download to her Kindle, that would be great for her because she can then adjust the font to suit. I'll tell her to check if any our libraries do same. Thanks for that!

Much agreed. For me, if a book contains a balance of all the elements I like, it becomes a winner. I often deal with heavy stuff at work, so I moderate leisure periods of reading heavy thriller/drama/criminal type books.

Had a quick check, appears she has a “Rosemary and Rue (October Daye)”series showing good reviews. Another lot for me to list…:)

Illona Andrews book series seems to be a mix of interesting elements, and being labelled as “pacey, well structured and just plain fun” while being New York hits (tough critics). Listing this lot. (Thank God I’m a fast reader.)

Stephen King
    – good writer. Have a couple of his early books. For some reason I tend to overlook his books. Will check out his trilogy “Mercedes Man” since it appears to differ to his early treatments.

I’ve dealt enough working with child protection issues, so I’ll give this one miss.

Thanks for all that!:cool: Great stuff. One draw back I've already found with some American writers is that their writings are not available Down Under, so I'll see how I go.

Thanks again.

Cheers

LS

28. Eldon

29. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Elsa! – great story that never gets old…

Yes! Saw a documentary on Daphne Sheldrick which I loved, particularly as African Elephants top my list of favourite animals. Watching them makes me think in some aspects, they can teach humans a thing or two.

Great story, hated the ending!

30. Eldon

legalsuit and katkat like this.
  31. GordonWhyte

GordonWhyte Private E-2

Kurt Vonnegut (Slaughterhouse-five and Cat's Cradle) and Ernest Hemingway (Farewell to Arms)

legalsuit likes this.
  32. Eldon

legalsuit likes this.
  33. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

34. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Thoroughly enjoyed reading The Godfather trilogy and also saw the movies.

Not familiar with this book or writer...checked it out and it sounds interesting. Thanks!

Actually there’s a lot of truth in what you say. People in different lines of work exposed to ongoing levels of drama/trauma don’t always properly debrief and destress. It is important to do so, because an accumulation of such negative waves does cause one to become as you noted “…infected.”

Cheers

LS

Eldon likes this.
  35. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Not familiar with this writer or his books. Upon checking, it appears he has lots of interesting elements in his writings...looks like another lot to add to my list. Thanks!

Quite like Ernest Hemingway, an interesting personality and good writer – enjoyed reading “Farewell to Arms” years back. Also saw the movie later.

Again Thanks!

Cheers

LS

36. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

37. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa Private E-2

Reading all of Lee Child's Jack Reacher series at the moment.

Currently on book #17, A Wanted Man.

Refuse to watch the movie with 5'7" (maybe 170 lb.) Tom Cruise playing the 6'5" 250 lb. literary character. Disappointed that the author sold out when it came to bringing his character to film.

legalsuit likes this.
  38. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

One book I can always turn too now and again and re-read is Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett a LOL romp around history by good and evil, the footnotes are the funniest parts.

with some great lines such as:
    • “Armageddon only happens once, you know. They don’t let you go around again until you get it right.”
    • “DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, said Death. JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH.”
    • "Did any of them kids have some space alien with a face like a friendly turd in a bike basket?"
    • "Many phenomena - wars, plagues, sudden audits - have been advanced as evidence for the hidden hand of Satan in the affairs of Man, but whenever students of demonology get together the M25 London orbital motorway is generally agreed to be among the top contenders for exhibit A." -- having driven on it I can attest to that!! [My comment]

Mimsy and legalsuit like this.
  39. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Exactly the problem I and many people I know have with the movie!

Similarly, when they chose Morgan Freeman to play Alex Cross in Along Came a Spider...he's a fantastic actor, but also about 40 years older than the character.

40. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

I haven’t read the books, but did see the Tom Cruise movie “Jack Reacher” of the “One Shot” book.

After reading your comments you’ve raised my interest to read the books as I quite like characters with that type of background. They often make for interesting reading. Must check out if available down here.

Thanks!

41. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

“Along came a Spider” is another movie I saw (which I thought was good) without reading the book! Hmmm….

42. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Checked out Good Omens by Neil Gaiman, sounds like a really good fun read.

Thanks!

DavidGP likes this.
  43. Anon-9aee479f8f

Someone recommended a book based on true FBI cases of missing children called "The Body Farm" By Patricia Cornwell along with “Body Farm” a series by Jefferson Bass .
    I am not sure I have the stomach for the content of the books as I don't know how graphic they are. Anybody read these? If you have read them I'd be interested to know how you rated them.

In Cornwell's book the main character Dr. Thomas Katz is based on a real person Milo Bohanan and in the Jefferson Bass “Body Farm” series Bohanan is himself. He lead a very interesting life. At age 18 he was a self taught fingerprint technician for Sevier County Sheriff’s Office in Tennessee. He went on to be a forensics expert and one of the jobs he worked was at the World Trade Center after 9-11.

Here is a newspaper article about Bohanan. Ihttp://tnsjournal.com/local/local-inventor-played-role-solving-numerous-crimes/

DavidGP likes this.
  44. Bob D.

Bob D. Majorgeeks official old fart

Edgar Allan Poe
    Jules Verne
    Say no more.

legalsuit likes this.
  45. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

The character sounds interesting. While I have a strong stomach for variety of stories, I stop when it involves children.

However, years back I saw an interesting documentary on a research facility which was a body farm where they studied decomposition in a variety of environmental settings, in order to better understand the decomposition process. The findings contributed towards developing techniques for getting information as to timing and circumstances of death from human remains. It is important and vital research, particularly helpful for criminal forensics.

46. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Years back I bought “The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe” much of which I enjoyed reading. For some time it has been one book I continually pass over in my library. I think my mood changed after reading The Black Cat.

Jules Verne…who doesn’t enjoy his classics. It must have been incredible reading in his time being so futuristic.

Thanks for sharing!

47. Anon-9aee479f8f

"The Body Farm" By Patricia Cornwell is about missing children but not sure about the “Body Farm” a series by Jefferson Bass. So that is why I ask if anyone had read them and could say. I don't like too much blood and gore.

48. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

My father-in-law loves these books, and had the same complaint about the movie. He was quite eloquent about it, actually.

I love Good Omens, and Neil Gaiman's American Gods is great as well. Robert Ludlum's trilogy about Jason Bourne is good, but very different from the movies.

And The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books - Lisbet Salander is one of my favorite female characters of all time.

DavidGP and legalsuit like this.
  49. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I'm sure it's a fine movie. But in the book (the first one in the Alex Cross series), Alex a young widower who has two children in elementary school and is described as looking like "a young Mohammed Ali". It's not until a couple of books later in the series (can't remember off hand which one) that he fathers his third child, and after that he's asked to join the FBI at I believe 35 years old. All of which added up to my being unable to watch the movie because I'm like that. :p

I keep meaning to read Patricia Cornwell, but I never seem to manage it. Maybe that'll be my project until I go back to work.

Definitely very different, but way better! The movies tried to update with current technology, and while I get that, it killed the overall tone of the story line, and in some ways made it ridiculous when if they'd done it in the time in which it was written it would have been excellent. And the real books stopped rightly at a trilogy, although apparently someone keeps writing more of them under Ludlum's name. They're awful.

Mimsy likes this.
  50. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Agree. Found them brilliant.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds