Firefox Will No Longer Run After An Update

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kestrel13!, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

The other night, Firefox let me know there was an update, I said to restart Firefox later.... tonight I restarted, and now it will not load... it is just blank.... with the little circle just spinning and spinning. The version I'm running is apparently 44.0

I do not like other browsers so getting this solved is important to me.

I tried rebooting the computer, but Firefox still does not load.
    I am able to use other browsers just fine, I'm on IE now.
    Any help much appreciated. :)

2. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

Have you tried uninstalling (leaving your profile intact) and reinstalling? I remember having this issue once and the cause was that some of the binaries didn't get updated.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Possibly an Add-on/Theme issue, try starting it from the Command line "Firefox -P" and using Safe Mode to get it running, or the same method and then creating a fresh Profile.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  4. satrow

Correction: Firefox Safe Mode = hold Shift while clicking to start FX.

"Firefox -P" brings up the Profile Manager, as above.

Alt: try downloading a fresh copy and overwriting the 'bad' version, like a refresh install.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  5. Kestrel13!

Hi there...

You won't believe this.... I shut the PC down last night before bed. Booted it up this morning... clicked to open FF.... it wasn't opening, just white blank page and spinning grey wheel at top. I then went into FF safe mode and had the same issue...it wouldn't open again.
    I was about to try uninstalling it leaving my profile intact when FF crashed.... and when I reopened it again I wasa asked if I wanted to send a crash report, I did indeed...and FF opened sweet as a nut.

Thanks guys, dunno what the prob was. I get ALL the weird stuff happen to me honestly.

6. satrow

I've heard odd reports from this update, like it not working from the Start menu icon but it works fine from the Desktop icon, etc. Who knows what Mozilla did!

Anyway, pleased to see you're back in high efficiency mode again :D

Kestrel13! likes this.
  7. Kestrel13!

Thanks satrow and nullptr!

8. oma

oma MajorGeek

9. Kestrel13!

Thanks Oma!

10. Kestrel13!

It has happened again... and it seems to be when I decide to turn my PC completely off. This time I cannot get Firefox to crash, last time I sent a crash report and everything was fine. Firefox in safe mode won't load up either... can I roll back to an older version??

11. _nullptr

Kestrel13! likes this.
  12. Kestrel13!

No, not quite.... the adobe flash player plug in now keeps crashing and causing my session to be screwed. The UPLOAD button here at geeks will be hidden/blacked out as this plug in crashes... I am confused

13. Kestrel13!

Hi, if I do that, will I lose all my settings, the way I have Firefox tweaked?

14. _nullptr

There should be an option when uninstalling to leave the FF profile and data intact.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  15. Kestrel13!

I am now on the latest version, on my original profile, with everything working, and all I did was uninstall anything adobe related from the control panel. Hmm will let you know how it pans out.

16. satrow

Possibly an issue there with Flash's Protected Mode, I think that can be modified from the Control Panel icon, sometimes it's better not to use that mode.

An alt. would be to install Flash ESR version (might be disappearing from public access soon :( ): https://www.adobe.com/mena_en/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html this is the Flash version I've been using for 2-3 years now, Flash -related crashes/bugs have been exceptionally rare since using this. You'd need to use the Flash uninstaller to be sure of cleaning out all the old version before using this, live download: http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/support/uninstall_flash_player.exe

Kestrel13! likes this.
  17. Kestrel13!

OK guys I am in trouble again with Firefox. Each time my computer actually gets turned off, when I turn it back on again, Firefox will not load. All was well after uninstalling adobe related stuff last time, but the computer had to be turned off today to have a clean inside. Turned back on and Firefox will not load...

What do I do? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

18. Kestrel13!

I got a crash report, I opted to send one...and Firefox opened up just fine. I am getting sick of this. Why are they not addressing it yet??

19. satrow

Keep checking the spam reports, click each one and follow the links once they're filled, there should be something useful there somewhere.

Maybe post up those links so that we can chase them up or email them to me if you don't want them outed in public ;)

20. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

They will only address something they consider to be a program-related bug if it is reproducible by them.
    What I would do as a troubleshooting step is to make a back up of the profile using something like Mozbackup
    and save it somewhere safe. You can be extra careful and also do a copy and paste backup of the profile too.
    I would then do a clean and total uninstall of Firefox - including the profile folder and every scrap and folder of Firefox, then restart the system, run CCleaner including the Registry cleaner, and then reinstall FX from a fresh download, and run it for a day or two with a clean empty profile. If the crashes continue then I suspect something else is causing the problem.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  21. satrow

That's what I'm expecting to find out when following the trail from the report.

22. Kestrel13!

I don't know what you mean Satrow, by spam and links??

23. Kestrel13!

Thanks Max Turner

24. satrow

Should have read "crash reports" sorry. They will be auto debugged and there should be links added for similar reports, once there, it's often possible to filter down all the related reports to your FF version and there may be some bugzilla links to current bugs.causes, or the reports themselves might have some common 3rd party (usually) file/driver that could be the root cause.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  25. Kestrel13!

Hi satrow, so when the crash report comes up, there is a link that I can give you?

26. satrow

Yes, there should be a link to it, usually a few hours after it's been uploaded. I think it's accessed via the (Alt) Help menu.

27. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Just reading back in the thread I don't see confirmation that you uninstalled Fx 44, then restarted your system, and reinstalled Fx 44 from a fresh download. A standard program uninstall leaves the existing profile in tact. If you really haven't already tried that, as suggested in post #2, then you aren't losing anything by doing it now.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  28. satrow

As far as the latest crop of startup crashes for FF44 shows, they're mostly (a very high %) EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1243765

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1243098

And others, plugin/flash triggered crashes are very low in number.

Some types seem to be very prevalent on nvidia GPUs, most are also present in FF45/46.

I'd suggest reverting to 43 or using the ESR version for a while, they can be installed into separate folders, if either of them shows the same startup crash, it must be something in the profile, possibly something new/changed by FF44.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  29. Kestrel13!

I did install an older version but the new version took RIGHT over.

30. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You can stop that - you just need to change the preferences in Tools > Options > Advanced > Update
    But that's not the same as uninstall v44, then reinstalling it FRESH. That's a simple troubleshooting step.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  31. Kestrel13!

Thanks Max :)

32. theefool

theefool Geekified

I saw no replies on whether you tried using a different profile, though many suggested that you do. My suggestion, is to use a different windows account and check if firefox works there. I may have missed it if you did. If it works there, then you know for a fact that your computer works fine, it is indeed something to do with your ff profile.

On another thought is to try aurora(beta) or minefield(bleeding edge(what I use)) to see if there is a difference. Lately one can run normal firefox, quit, then try minefield (example) with the same profile. If it fails, then the profile will have to be looked into.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  33. Kestrel13!

Thanks thefool, I have not really been doing anything to fix this following people's suggestions, I admit. Other things have been getting in the way (life) but I am eager to fix this. I had to turn off my machine again last night and of course Firefox was messed up again. I have been depending on FF crashing, and when I send a crash report, it opens up just fine. I will start to work on this soon. Hope people don't think I am ignoring advice, I've just been so busy. Thanks ALL :)

satrow likes this.
  34. Kestrel13!

Crash report details as I grabbed them last night.

AvailablePageFile: 13548081152
    AvailablePhysicalMemory: 5884088320
    AvailableVirtualMemory: 4141871104
    BlockedDllList:
    BreakpadReserveAddress: 45940736
    BreakpadReserveSize: 67108864
    BuildID: 20160123151951
    CrashTime: 1454730269
    InstallTime: 1453934152
    ProductID: {ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}
    ProductName: Firefox
    ReleaseChannel: release
    SafeMode: 0
    SecondsSinceLastCrash: 205
    StartupTime: 1454730269
    SystemMemoryUsePercentage: 26
    Throttleable: 1
    TotalPageFile: 16018100224
    TotalPhysicalMemory: 8009990144
    TotalVirtualMemory: 4294836224
    URL:
    Vendor: Mozilla
    Version: 44.0

This report also contains technical information about the state of the application when it crashed.

35. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I don't see that crash report shedding any useful light.
    When you get time to do troubleshooting steps, you might make progress.
    The first would be as suggested in posts #2, 27 and 30 - it's the most logical first step and takes barely 2-3 minutes.
    If Fx 44 still doesn't then run smoothly, the next logical step is that in post #20

Kestrel13! likes this.
  36. Kestrel13!

Thankyou Max. :)

37. satrow

This is where the crash report links are:

FFaboutcrashes.jpg

Kestrel13! likes this.
  38. Kestrel13!

39. Kestrel13!

Thanks Satrow, I never knew that!

40. satrow

I'd forgotten the exact details of how to access them (Pale Moon doesn't use that but crashes are rare to non-existant anyway).

Ok, difficult one (and this write up will be up to my usual amateur standard), no bugs listed in Bugzilla for this yet, according to the report summary page.

The crash signature is listed as RtlpLowFragHeapAllocFromContext | RtlAllocateHeap | _calloc_impl | _calloc_impl | __getlocaleinfo so it's some kind of memory allocation error digging deeper it's a Write error (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION_WRITE, I'd guess that *something* loading is trying to load into an area of memory that's already allocated to something else, or that it's denied access, perhaps for security reasons).

It's only reported from W7 systems, not restricted to any one language, judging by the comments, not restricted to any specific CPU /GPUarchitecture, first seen from the 16th of Jan. on the Beta 44, it also affects the 45/46 pre-release versions. Most crashes occur so soon that FF doesn't show in TaskMan.

I've scanned through a bunch of examples and there's no common 3rd party .dll that I can see. Some are also without any add-ons (FF Safe Mode?). Flash hasn't been loaded in any example I've seen.

The latter section of the error sig., getlocaleinfo, is a font reference. Fonts are a major target for exploits, each WU probably contains at least one font-related security patch (as does Flash), so there's a chance that this is triggered by a WU . It wouldn't surprise me to see that it's a 'bad' WU patch behind this.

I think I'd try downloading a fresh version of FF44 (or get 2, 1 US and 1 GB) and try an over the top install or two first. Failing that, copy your Profile data somewhere safe and then blow both FF and your profile away, reboot, install FF, load it once to check, then begin moving your Bookmarks and other stuff over a step at a time.

I don't think this is profile related, crashes are all virtually identical across 100+ machines/users.

Kestrel13! likes this.
  41. Kestrel13!

Thankyou satrow :)

I have a folder called old firefox data, does that contain everything I need for backing up bookmarks etc?

42. satrow

43. Kestrel13!

I saved the whole folder to my desktop, made a copy of it, is that good enough?

44. satrow

I think my comments from #28 still stand, those linked Bugzilla discussions are from crashes that follow the same pattern as yours, but not quite identical. So try FF 43 or the current ESR 38.6 version: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/ (plodr's everyday drive, I think).

Edit: yes, the Desktop is fine (no perms issues there ^^).

[Oh, my FF crashes that I listed earlier, I've just checked those and it looks like MS supplied nVidia drivers for W10 caused it (all other cases reported were from W8/8.1, I guess there aren't many W10 users with FF ESR + Flash ESR + nVidia cards!). Good thing I checked, I just installed W10 again here this morning, time for some updates :) ]

Kestrel13! likes this.
  45. satrow

Eldon and Kestrel13! like this.
  46. Kestrel13!

At long last!!! :D

47. Kestrel13!

I let the update go in, I will shut down later and see if all is well.

satrow likes this.
  48. Kestrel13!

You guys are gonna love me.... I have a new problem now... I'll post about it later, in a new thread... 2am here :D

49. Kestrel13!

Problem gone today :D

50. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

PaleMoon is good if you can use it. My machine with Firefox opens with a blank tab, usually, opens with my home page on occasion. Not a big deal but will probably do a fresh install in the near future. Which is something I always did until recently just started running the update as it was less time and trouble.

Kestrel13! likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds