Please Help, Is There Anybody That Knows How To Use A Hex Editor To Fix Jpeg Photos??

Discussion in 'Software' started by klwtwizzy, Feb 10, 2016.

1. klwtwizzy

klwtwizzy Private E-2

Hi,

The problem that I have is I have around 87 photos that I am so desperate to try and get back. They are really special to me and hold dear memories. I have tried all sorts of image recovery and repair software like stellar phoenix etc and none of these have worked. The photos were taken on a digital camera with with an 8gb sd card. I then put the photos from my SD card onto my laptop. For a few months I was able to open and view all the photos no problem. Now I am unable to do this.

I can see the thumbnails of the image on my laptop but cannot open them as I get error messages saying they are damaged/corrupt etc. I have been looking into this problem for a while and was told that using a hex editor may be able to fix my corrupt/damaged photos. I have downloaded a hex editor and found that this is way too complicated for me to do unfortunately.

Please is there anyone out there that knows how to use a hex editor to help me fix and get back my photos, or do you know anyone that I could get in contact with that may be able to help me???? Obviously I don't expect it for free and am willing to pay to get this sorted. If it helps I still have the original camera and sd card that the photos were taken on.

Thanks again and any help is greatly appreciated. Please feel free to contact me on my email {snip}

Kind Regards,
    Kirstie

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2016
  2. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Just curious on the camera with the SD card in can you view the pictures?

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

For the future, as soon as I return from a trip, I copy the pictures from the sd camera card to a computer and burn a data CD with the images. Never move pictures until you are sure you have an archived copy that is viewable on a CD.

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Are the photos still on the SD card?

If not, try this.
    1. Try to recover the deleted photos with Recuva.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/recuva_portable.html
    Here's a tutorial.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/recuva-walkthrough-and-tutorial.291892/

2. Right-click a photo, click Properties, click Previous Versions. Do you see a previous version(s)?
    Try a couple of photos.

5. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Yeah, I was thinking is they were then they could be loaded on the computer again.
    As Eldon said try Recuva. I have had success with it.

6. harmless

harmless Staff Sergeant

2 suggestions... try irfanview to view the images
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/irfanview.html
    i have found out, over the years, that irfanview will display images that other image viewers will report as being corrupt. after downloading wallpapers from usenet over the years, i have run into some images that windows won't display, other viewers won't display, and i get the error message of corrupt files. but irfan will display them, so i just re-save the bad image with irfan and windows is happy with the re-saved image. this works most of the time, one of those your mileage may vary. if irfan won't display the image, then the file has problems.
    the other suggestion is to contact Ian Fieggen at http://www.fieggen.com/software/aboutian.htm
    and ask if he might be willing to look at one of your image files and see what is wrong. 4 years ago, I found his site looking for information about shoelaces, and discovered that he wrote some image manipulation programs in assembly language. anyone who writes programs in assembly is a god in my mind. i corresponded with him a couple of times and told him about my few errant usenet wallpapers, he asked me to send him an example, and i sent him one, and he fixed it. anyway, try irfanview, if your images still appear corrupt, then you could ask Ian and see if he would be willingly to help, or if he might have helpful suggestions. good luck with it!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds