Major Geeks General How-to (new Forums)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Nov 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

As you may know, we have switched over to a different forum platform (Xenforo). We believe the transition should go pretty smoothly, but there will be some changes in functionality.

I would suggest exploring your Profiles and the Preferences within there to customize things, but here are a few quick things that you may be interested in.

To access all your settings, click on your Username in the top right of your screen. If you select 'Personal Details', you will notice that brings you to your UserCP where you can go through the left side options and customize your settings.

For a few specific options, see below.

Forum supplied Avatars from vbulletin did not transfer over here, so if you used one, you have most likely noticed you no longer have one. Take this as an opportunity to create a new one for yourself. You may also be able to find the vbulletin ones somewhere online if you really liked yours. If you do an image search for 'Forum Avatars', thousands of options come up.

Any pictures you use must be uploaded from your computer. If you find something online and it's not a square icon ("It is recommended that you use an image that is at least 200x200 pixels."), you will have have to edit it either with software you have on your computer or an online site. Here is an online photo editor that is fairly easy to use: https://pixlr.com/editor/

In order to upload your Avatar to Major Geeks, go to your Preferences by clicking on your username and then selecting "Personal Details". Click on the avatar box and upload your photo.

Thread Display:

Some people like threads displayed from oldest to newest posts, while other like threads displayed with the newest posts first. The way to change that is to click on a forum (Example: Software) and scroll down to the bottom of the forum. You will see a Tab in the center of that forum for 'Thread Display Options'. You can set your preferences there.

Sadly, it does Not look like you can set the same option within a post. There is, however, a way to go straight to the most recent post in the thread (thank you Eldon). When you are in the forum you would like to view, instead of clicking on the thread title, click on the date in the "Last Message" column on the right of the page.

How to View Threads by Topic Instead of by Individual Posts.
    To routinely view all posts in thread form (instead of page after page showing every single post), do this: In Preferences tick "Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply," then, on arriving back at the Forums page, click "Watched Threads" on the menu bar, then "Show all watched threads" in the lower dark option/menu bar. Now all threads are displayed, read and unread. Clicking the "Unread Watched Threads" link from this page will toggle back to - you guessed it - the unread threads you are watching.

Browsing Preferences:

Click on your Username on the top right. That will bring up a drop down box where you will see a number of options. Click on Preferences. Here you can go through and edit your Time Zone if you need to, Enable/Disable Signatures, and a few other general options. Please note that if you do not uncheck the first option, by default, you will be automatically subscribed to all threads you start.

'Alerts':

You may have Alerts already that you have noticed when you logged in. By default, all available Alerts are enabled. To set your preferences, click on your Username in the top right of your screen. In the drop down box you will see the option for Alert Preferences. You will then be able to uncheck any of the options you do not wish to receive alerts for.

Subscribing to a thread:

In each thread you click on, there is the option to 'Watch Thread' at the top right of the first post on that page. All your Watched Threads are easily accessed by clicking on the 'Watched Threads' link at the top left of the forum.

Report a Post:

As before, please report Spam or problem posts by clicking on 'Report' which you will find next to the date at the bottom of each post.

Quoting:

If you hit reply to a specific post, it will automatically put that post in quote format.

Saving your Posts to a Draft:

The new forums have a 'Save to Draft' feature for both replies and New threads. If you click on the floppy disk save icon in the tool bar of your reply field you will have the option to save any unfinished posts you would like to work on later. In order to access it, just click on the thread you were in or hit the 'Start Thread' button in the forum you were in. You're work should be there when you open things back up again.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Thanks LauraR.
    How do we set the posts in a thread to display from newest to oldest?

3. LauraR

Sadly, it does not look like Xenforo has that option, Eldon. :( I did a search and did not come up with anything. If anyone finds a different answer to this, please let us know.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Notice to our members---- some of the threads did not transfer. You need to repost if you cannot find your original posting.

DavidGP and BoredOutOfMyMind like this.
  5. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Another notice to everyone: If it seems as if things aren't working, take a deep breath and wait patiently. That's regardless of what that something is. Massive software changes never go 100% perfectly, and moving the Major Geeks forums wasn't exactly a matter of moving a small database with only one or two simple variables to account for. Lets give the owners a few days to get everything straightened out and reconfigured before we start reporting "bugs" or whatever we want to call them.

6. avondude

avondude Senior Member, 25% Off All Posts

I cannot even imagine the work you folks have put in to this. Thank you so much.
    Dave

7. Eldon

Found it!
    Instead of clicking on the thread title, in the righthand pane click on the date, just below the name of the last member to post. You'll be taken to the newest message. :)

And you'll be scrolling up instead of down to read the previous posts.

DavidGP, BoredOutOfMyMind and Mimsy like this.
  8. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

How does one 'mark a forum as read' please?
    This option used to make all posts unbolded as if i'd seen them already.
    Thanks

BoredOutOfMyMind likes this.
  9. LauraR

Hi Emma...That option is at the top left of each forum on the green tool bar. You can either do it within each forum, or you can choose to mark all threads on MGs as read.

10. Kestrel13!

Oh I don't know how I missed that. Thanks Laura : - )

11. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Laura, if you have anything to add to my FAQ, you can as well.

BoredOutOfMyMind and LauraR like this.
  12. LauraR

Just as an fyi for anyone who is interested in this tip...

The new forums have a 'Save to Draft' feature for both replies and New threads. If you click on the floppy disk save icon in the tool bar of your reply field you will have the option to save any unfinished posts you would like to work on later. In order to access it, just click on the thread you were in or hit the 'Start Thread' button in the forum you were in. You're work should be there when you open things back up again.

I don't know about you all, but when I've been doing something with tabs and have accidentally x'd out of the post I was working on and lost everything and had to start over. I think this is a great feature.

It works in PM's (Conversations) as well. :)

Imandy Mann, Eldon and DavidGP like this.
  13. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

LauraR

The save to draft feature is a nice addition. Didn't realize it was there but twice this weekend the accidental x'n out happened to me. Today I log in and going back to the same thread - lo and behold there's my half finished post! Cool softworks.

LauraR likes this.
  14. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Has anyone else noticed that the forum is now displayed in a frame and no longer can be zoomed to fullscreen. I first noticed this only a few days ago. When the forum was first changed over to the new software it wasn't in a frame and you could zoom the forum up to the edges of the screen.
    In my case now, there is always a wide green stripe down the left and right sides of the screen and when I zoom (I am almost blind) only the centre section magnifies but I still have the same size green stripes down each side. I have a 40" screen and the green stripes on each side are pretty darn wide.

My OS is Win 7 Pro, My browser is Chrome. The pc is an i5 4670K on a Gigabyte Z87X - D3H mobo. My graphics card is an NVIDIA GTX 960 OC edition. My AV is Eset NOD 32.
    Cheers
    joffa

15. Kestrel13!

Yep, it's been altered recently. The colour has changed around our names/avatars too :)

16. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I've never wanted full screen, but I definitely noticed the forums are squished in from the sides with the green edges. Not really a fan, either...squished is exactly the way to describe it.

17. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I don't have a problem with it. On a 21-inch monitor, a full screen forum actually becomes unpleasant to read after a while - the text in the forum posts is in far too wide a column for comfortable eye movement. The green "edges" prevent that and makes the forum posts the same size/width as they were before, which in turn makes them easier to read.

18. joffa

Another problem I have is when I create a new thread it automatically capitalises the subject box.
    I just posted a happy birthday for DavidGP and it came out Davidgp and a previous post for dr. moriarty came out as Dr. Moriarty.
    When you try to edit this you can only change the text in the body and not the subject line.
    Can auto correct be turned off somewhere?

19. Eldon

Yes joffa.
    When you type How do I do this, it becomes How Do I Do This. o_O
    And when you type BIOS or RAM, it becomes Bios or Ram. :oops:

20. joffa

Yep I worked that out a while back but was hoping there is a way around it ;)

21. LauraR

Yep...I think it's just a 'feature'. :( There isn't anything we can do about that. I'm sure there's a reason the creators of this forum software did it, but I don't know what that is. I have to say I do like it for those people who like to come in and not use any capital letters at all. This way they don't have a choice.

Eldon, joffa and Kestrel13! like this.
  22. Eldon

You win some... you loose some. :)
    The new forum software is definitely better in every respect. While not relevant to regular members, killing spammers has become so much easier and faster. :D
    It's almost nicer than having a beer. Or bacon. :eek:

Kestrel13! and Mimsy like this.
  23. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

You have work to do ^^

24. LauraR

Got it. Thanks :) You always find the outlook spam for me. :D

Mimsy and satrow like this.
  25. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

And I haven't had MS Office installed for years ;)

Is Eldon is allowed tea breaks now?!

26. LauraR

We let him out once in a while. :D

27. Eldon

It's called a beer break! :cool:
    Thank you Laura! :p

DavidGP and Imandy Mann like this.
  28. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Hi Laura,

:) I haven't discovered yet how to delete Conversations once they begin to accumulate.

29. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

I haven't got any at present to give exact instructions, but you place a check in the conversations you no longer want then select from the actions dropdown ' Leave conversation'.

dr.moriarty and LauraR like this.
  30. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Thanks, _nullptr.
    I was specifically looking for the word Delete in the dropdown. ;)

31. Eldon

_nullptr is correct.
    I have uploaded screenshots for the benefit of all.

Con_1.jpg

Con_2.jpg

Con_3.jpg

Those participating in the conversation will still be able to continue.

joffa, dr.moriarty and LauraR like this.
  32. LauraR

Just as _nullptr and Eldon said...you just "Leave". :D Kind of like real life. lol

I guess they are trying to make the terms as RL as possible with the "Conversation" and "Leave"

dr.moriarty likes this.
  33. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Is there a way to collapse all the threads in one topic, one of my posted issues, into one -- so that I don't have to go through page after page of my individual posts which I am accessing under "your content"? (Thanks for all your work, btw)

34. Eldon

Not quite sure what you mean.
    Try this.
    On the Home Page point on drcarl and then click Your Profile Page, click the Postings tab, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Find all threads by drcarl.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?search/84169/

35. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

That works...finding "all threads" instead of every post. thanks.

But, it sure is not intuitive having to go 4 clicks away for some fine print which is even dark text on a dark background.

I looked all over "the home page" (http://www.majorgeeks.com/) and don't see any mention of "drcarl", although from the main Forum page, I can.

Note that the first link returns this: "MajorGeeks.Com Support Forums - Error" - broken, or maintenance...?

Anyway, thanks.

36. LauraR

I believe Eldon meant the main forum page as the Home Page listed on here takes you straight to our downloads which aren't linked to the forums.

Also if you want the most convenient way to find your threads with one click, I would suggest 'Watching' them. That way you can just click on the "Watched Threads" button up top and they are all there in thread form. You'll have to click 'Show All Watched threads' just at the bottom since just the ones with new posts in them show up immediately.

drcarl likes this.
  37. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

LauraR - "Eldon meant the main forum page" yup - lol.

Thank you for your followup.

That's exactly what I was looking for - how to make the new configuration work.

38. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

I wish we had more than 5 minutes to edit a post. 15 might be too few. I understand it's a balancing act.
    (I can see that my original post used terms incorrectly creating confusion; at least I knew what I was talking about - collapsing posts into threads)

All of my posts are "watched" by default preference.

For 15 non-intuitive minutes now (maybe I just need coffee) I have been trying to figure out the minimum number of clicks to find it...to get to 'Watched Threads' to appear up top, so that I can again click 'Show all watched threads'. (including the 'read' ones). I saw it once. Now I.....

BINGO! 2 Clicks: Forums> Watched Threads> Show All Watched Threads.

------------------Here------a possible FAQ for you?-------------maybe this is right------of course there are probably other ways to do the same thing-------

How to View Threads by Topic Instead of by Individual Posts.
    To routinely view all posts in thread form (instead of page after page showing every single post), do this: In Preferences tick "Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply," then, on arriving back at the Forums page, click "Watched Threads" on the menu bar, then "Show all watched threads" in the lower dark option/menu bar. Now all threads are displayed, read and unread. Clicking the "Unread Watched Threads" link from this page will toggle back to - you guessed it - the unread threads you are watching.

DavidGP likes this.
  39. LauraR

Looks great and I will put it in the front post. Thank you. :)

drcarl likes this.
  40. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

MG has been SO helpful for me over the years. I want to make any visitor's experience The Best, and recommend/link to MG any chance that's appropriate.

DavidGP, Mimsy and LauraR like this.
  41. Eldon

You have 10 minutes to edit a post.

Gensuknives and drcarl like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds