Slow Ssd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Earthling, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

My Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E335 never was a racehorse but after seeing how much faster my later PC was on a Kingston V300 SATA3 SSD I thought I'd upgrade to the same on the laptop. Ok, it's a bit faster than the Toshiba it replaced but nothing like I had expected. Startup still takes 1½ minutes and both Firefox and Thunderbird can take over a minute to come up whereas on the PC both are near instantaneous. It dual boots 8.1 and 10 and although 8.1 is noticeably quicker than 10 with similar configuration it's still a big disappointment.

The problem isn't that startup is overloaded, it's pared almost to the bone, but it does appear that fitting an SSD isn't a cureall for slow startups - unless my particular SSD is underperforming for some reason. What's the best way to compare it with the identical one in the PC?

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

What's the WinSAT score for the SSD?

3. Earthling

Dunno. Have to bone up on that.

4. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Looked up WinSAT. Shows as being removed from 8.1 @ control panel but still runs from a command prompt. 'WinSAt' by itself flashed by before I could see , but' winsat formal' (found in link) ran in a dos box page. Quite lengthy and flashed by when done before I could scroll thru it. I'd like to capture it to review. Is that where '*any*command*' /p would work?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_System_Assessment_Tool

5. satrow

Earthling and Imandy Mann like this.
  6. Imandy Mann

/p didn't help. Ran it with a pipe 'winsat formal | c:\winsat.log'. Didn't show in "C" so I search with 'everything' and found the log in Windows\Performance.

7. Imandy Mann

Good to know info satrow. Thanks!

8. satrow

If the info from WinSAT shows SSD performance figures, check with HD Sentinel that TRIM is enabled and active.

If WinSAT shows less than SSD speeds, check the partition starting offset:
    Start > Run > msinfo32 > then > Components > Storage > Disks > Partition Starting Offset (should be 1,048,576 bytes).

Be aware that there were several different versions of the V300, the earliest benchmarked much better than the (different hardware!) later ones.

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I looked at the Windows Experience Index (Win 7, not sure what 8 does) on our computers and discovered that the slowest component was the CPU in one and the graphics chip in the other.
    Installing an ssd wasn't going to change that so I decided against replacing the hard drives in both netbooks.

How do you check the components, like Windows Experience Index, on a Windows 8 computer?

Found it. Now I know what the WinSAT is.
    http://www.cnet.com/how-to/find-your-windows-experience-index-scores-in-windows-8-1/

10. Earthling

Thanks for the link Satrow. The SSD on the faster PC has a data transfer score of 7.8, and it's 7.6 on the laptop, so that is a small part of the explanation. However the main problem, like plodr, is the CPU with a score of 7.5 on the PC and just 4.3 on the laptop. Not much I can do about that I guess. I don't think I'd want to revert to HDD now but this is clearly worth looking into when considering an SSD upgrade.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds